Hello My Name Is...

Why Am I Here Again?

A LITTLE LATER AT THE DANCE....

William wasn't sure why he was even there. He didn't have a date, let alone want one. He went because he just had to get out of the house. He figured he should mingle with the other students and try to make things right again. Who knew, maybe he would feel better after the night.

The incident in the lobby had been tense, but it didn't ruin the mood. In fact, it helped with Williams mood. He felt good for once, helping someone out for a change without expecting any payback. He recognized that emo kid, Davey. He was a little surprised though, to see him with such an attractive prep girl.

William never really gave much of his time to the ladies, they were only temporary ego boosts, and eternal emotional scarring. The last woman he had, she got pregnant by another man and tried to play him off as the father. He found out the truth by the girls sister, who felt it was wrong to trap a man like that. Later on, he found out that the father was the child abandoned the girl and the baby boy. Now the two of them were living somewhere in the barrios of California.

After that, William put love and emotions on the back burner. He got more joy and pleasure out of street hustling than out of an actual physical relationship. But tonight, he just wanted to be out of the house. He didn't want to be alone anymore. He wasn't certain if Dag and Sloop still wanted to confront him, but he didn't care anymore. Graduation was coming up, and if he could hunker down in his studies, he could graduate with the rest of his class. He still wasn't sure what he was going to do with his life after high school. He wasn't certain about College either, he was afraid that it would be no different than how high school had been.

A girl walked up to him nervously, she smiled at him. He smiled and waved at her.

"Excuse me, uh...my name is Roxanne, but everyone calls me Roxy. Ugh..would you..want to dance?"

Without hesitation, William stood up from his seat in the corner and let the girl guide him onto the dance floor. It was a slow song, and a lot of couples were dancing.

"Where's your date?" William asked her as they began to dance.

"I didn't bring one, no one really caught my eye until I saw you," she said.

"Why me? Don't I scare you?" William said with a chuckle.

"Well honestly, at first yeah. But I mean, lately since all that bad stuff has gone done, it's really forced a lot of people to open their eyes and look at things in a total different light. I mean, everyone thought that if there had been a school shooting, it would have been done by a skater or emo person. No one would have suspected a prep or jock," Roxy said, moving in closer to William.

William nodded, "Dat's true, a lot of things are changin round here, now dat what's happened, happened."

They continued to dance into the night, and for once in his life, William wasn't fearful for his life.