Hello My Name Is...

Of Better Service

WILLIAMS HOUSE AT FT. MEADE.....

William walked into his house after a long day of work. He removed his black beret as he stepped into the front door.

"Daddy's home!" a little boy exclaimed as he ran into his fathers arms.

"Hey Bobby, what's happenin lil dawg?!" William said as he smiled and lifted his son up so he could hung him.

"Welcome home baby," his wife said, coming into the room to give him a kiss.

"Are we all set for tonight?" William asked, setting his son back down so he could run into his room to get his things.

"Mmhmm, Ben's mom is coming by to pick up Bobby so he can spend the night over there. Your clothes are laid out on the bed for you to change into. Once Bobby's ride arrives, we can go," his wife said, taking his beret and setting it on the shelf above the coat rack.

"Excellent, let me go and get changed den, be right back Esther," William said as he walked into the bedroom to change.

William had graduated high school, still not certain with which path he would take. A few weeks after his graduation, his grandmother went peacefully one night. She didn't have much, but she left him a fair sized amount of money in her will. William bought himself a car to help him in his search for a meaningful career and existance, but finding a decent job in the ghetto was like trying to dodge raindrops. Running out of options and patience, he finally decided to join the army, working as a mechanic for armored vehicles. He saw action in Iraq and Afghanistan, a veteran of two wars. He met his wife Esther while he was attending a class at a community college. He hoped to get his associates degree at least so he could get a promotion, and it was in their economics class that they clicked. They dated for three years, he proposed to her on their three year anniversary. She was supportive of his military career, coming from a military family herself, and they raised a boy together. Now William was a Captain, thanks to his college education that he was able to obtain, he was permitted to go to officer candidate school. As for Pugs, he opened his own soul food resteraunt. He called it 'Bobby's' in honor of his little brother. Whenever William was in the area, he would stop by and pay his friend a visit.

Sloop was killed in a drive-by a week before his twentieth birthday. Dag died from a heroine overdose. Whatever became of Mars is a mystery, for now, he is a ghost on the streets. Parents tell their children about him, the boogie man of the projects.

Tonight was a special night that William had been waiting for for years. He was excited and looking forward to this night.....