Hello My Name Is...

Living His Life

AT A LARGE ART EXHIBIT.....

Seth stood there in his tuxedo, enjoying a glass of expensive champagne. He was an distinguished guest at this art exhibit this day, it was all his work on display. He looked at his watch, plenty of time to give his speech, mingle, and make it to tonight's event. He turned to face another well dressed man, who nodded curtly. Seth set down his glass and approached the microphone stand at the podium.

All around, guests were gathering to enter into the next large room to survey and marvel as his artwork. They quickly quieted down when they saw Seth take the stand. They turned their undivided attention to the man standing before them, his life's work and history waiting behind those large closed doors. He cleared his throat to speak.

"Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen, I am pleased to say, this is the third major opening of my work. It reflects my thoughts and feelings, made into various images, paintings, sketches, and photographs. Many of you see me as an artistic genius, as well as a grounded individual. I will be the first to say, that has not always been the case."

This prompted his audience to laugh and applaud. Seth waited until the din died down for him to continue.

"My life growing up is shown here, behind these closed walls and doors. My life was far from perfect, and it is reflected with my work. Many of you have asked me, 'Where do I get my inspiration for all of this?'. The answer is as simple as it is complex Ladies and Gentlemen, the answer is life. Life is what gives me the inspiration to do what I do, and what keeps you fine folk coming back for more. I thank you, and without further ado, we'll start the exhibit, thank you."

The audience applauded loud and long, whistling was heard among the cheers. Seth smiled and took his seat, as the twin doors were opened. The audience moved forward, to enter the main hall where the exhibit was.

Seth had graduated high school and went to an art and design school. There, he honed his skills in not only charcoal and cante', but also in painting, sculptor, photograph, and drawing. He graduated art school and went into graphic design. It didn't take long for experts and fellow artists to see the gifts and skills of the young man, and by age twenty-one, he had his first art exhibit in Manhattan. His second exhibit happened a year later in Sidney, Australia.

Reese was killed-in-action during the second surge in Iraq, his funeral was a tough and sad one for his family and friends. He left behind a wife and two twin girls.

Dan went into interior decorating, coming out of the closet in college and now worked for a major set and house design show on TV. Micah became a Bio-chemist, and works for a research lab somewhere in Nevada.

Cole was killed in an auto accident a few years back by a drunk driver, himself. He had no surviving family to identify his body, his friends had to undergo the task just so he could be buried.

Scott was doing time in prison, as corrections specialist. He was able to get his act together after graduating high school to go into law enforcement. He hopes to one day join the secret service.

The guests walked amongst the elaborate and breathtaking works of his, gazing with admiration at the paintings of angels, the black and white photographs of children at play, city life, and the fully re-established French Quarter of New Orleans. He portrayed many emotions in his work, grief, joy, innocence, and helplessness. His two most notable works of the exhibit, were a sculpture and a drawing.

A ballroom dancer, in her gown, was sculpted in a leading position, her partner was not present. It was as if she were dancing all alone, to a silent waltz. It was beautiful, the title was 'Dancer In The Dark'.

The other work was a charcoal and cante' piece, done on canvas. It looked aged, but still bursting with excellent artistic values. It had taken Seth three years to complete, continuing and stopping over and over until he finally finished it a couple months ago. It was simply titled, 'Elle'.

A wealthy looking man walked up to Seth, offering a hand and a smile. Seth shook his hand and appreciated the comments and compliments the man gave him.

"I was wondering Seth, if you were willing to sell that one charcoal work of yours. It's simply amazing and awe inspiring! How much would you want for it?"

Seth only shook his head with a smile, this was his fifth offer for that piece.

"Sorry, it's not for sale. Something like that, is priceless. It took a long time to complete, because it took a long time to heal. I may never be fully over it, but it's one of my finest works that I will cherish forever."

The man nodded, he understood completely. He shook Seth's hand and walked off to survey more of the exhibit.

"Mr. Seth, your limo is here to take you to your event.." a man said as he walked up to Seth.

Seth nodded, "I'll be right there, give me one moment."

The man nodded and turned to leave. Seth walked past the viewers, past the aisles and aisles of his years work. He made his way to the portrait he had toiled long and hard over. He had almost given up on completing it. He stood in front of it, gazing at the dark lines and shadings, the grays, whites, and blacks. He smiled at the subjects smile, and he blew it a silent kiss.

"I'm doing what you asked me to do, I'm letting go and moving on with my life. Thank you, I'll never forget you."

He turned and walked out of the building and to his awaiting car.