Hello My Name Is...

Bleeding Hearts

Later that day....

Davey drifted through the remainder of his classes, the wispy wraith in the class. Today was the day that the class would dissect frogs. Everyone in the class was dreading this day, Davey was indifferent to it all. His lab partner was absent, so he had to go at it alone.

"Don't worry Davey, you'll ace this course! You should be good at cutting things!" the student sitting across from him said with a stupid grin.

Davey didn't care, the student was unimportant, he didn't bother with names in the classroom. What was the point? Like he was ever going to talk to any of them? A folded up sheet of notebook paper landed on his table. Another pointless note. He opened it, knowing it was going to be a hateful reminder. It was a crudely drawn picture of a person hanging in a noose. Above the figures head was written "Davey".

Davey looked around the room, to find the culprit. Of course, one of the jocks had sent it. He knew this by the silent laughter of a certain student in his letter jacket. His shoulders shook as he stifled his guffaws. Davey scribbled on it "D+", folded it back up, and tossed it onto the jocks desk. He opened it, frowned, and cast Davey a venomous stare. Davey smirked and looked away.

The cut on his leg was scabbing now, causing it to itch like crazy. Davey wished he had someone to talk to about it, but he knew he didn't have any real friends. He needed a friend who would try to help him, not encourage him, or try to compare scar ratios. He needed help, he just wasn't strong enough to seek it out on his own.

"You may take out your specimens, and begin the procedure. We will go by the books and by the numbers since some of you can't seem to get the grasp on following directions in steps!" the teacher announced as he paced around the room.

"Yeah, some people can't count that high though!" someone blurted out, the room laughing.

"You must be speaking about yourself there, since your last test was below average Mr. Ridley," the teacher said snidely. prompting the class to laugh again.

"Okay, let's get started. First step is to lay the specimen on it's back with all the limbs spread eagle.."

The teacher continued to survey the class, making is circular lap around the room from table to table. He would pass behind students, looking over their shoulders as they worked.

"Next, take the scalpel and make an incision from the throat, all the way down to the pubis..."

Davey casually picked up the thin shiny surgical instrument, the keen edge glinting in the light. He went to make the cut, but his hands wouldn't move. He tried again, but his hand shook with unease.

The teacher passed behind him, gazing over his shoulder, "Having trouble are we? Make the incision as instructed please."

Davey licked his lips and tried again, slowly bringing the topmost part of the blade across the cold dead flesh. His stomach tightened, as he watched the flesh part and open in the wake of the scalpel. He quickly placed the scalpel back onto the table, placing his hands into his lap.

The teacher pursed his lips at this, but continued his rounds, "Now, with great care, use the small clamps to pull back and restrain any excess skin tissue and muscle. The innards should now be exposed yes?"

The class did as instructed. Davey looked around the room nervously, no one else seemed to be having too much trouble with the task. Even the stuck up plastics, with wrinkled up noses, seemed to going at it with mute disgust.

"What's the matter freak? Can't seem to cut under pressure? Can't cut something unless it's your own body?" the student behind him hissed.

The teacher was too far away to have heard that, so Davey ignored it. He looked down at the dead amphibian before him, gulped, and took hold of the clamps as instructed. He gingerly clasped the clamps on the specified areas, exposing the glistening inside of the frog. He bit his lip again, blinking repeatedly to regain focus.

"Good, now take your forceps, and with a little prodding and exploration on your part, expose the lungs and heart. Keep the forceps closed around the two, so I can come by and see that you have found them..."

The teacher was at the front of the classroom now, slowly making his way back towards Davey. Davey had to complete the instructions before he came around again, or he'd be singled out as always. He reluctantly took hold of the thin metal 'Tweezers' like instrument, and began to probe around with it. He lifted intestines, fishing around for the specified organs. He found them, and clamped them tightly in the forceps. He had to hold them there, exposed, until the teacher passed by to inspect. Davey felt his stomach churning, the smooth clean cut edges of his earlier incision staring him down.

The teacher was moving slowly, taking his time going from table to table. He could hear the mumble and murmur of his remarks of 'Good', 'Excellent', and 'Well done'. Davey closed his eyes tight, trying not to think of cutting, bleeding, hurting, and stinging. When he reopened his eyes, they automatically focused in on the scalpel. He closed his eyes again, tight, trying to ignore it.

"Very good then! Let's move along now!" the teacher said as he passed by Davey and the remainder of the class.

Davey hadn't even noticed the teacher passing by silently behind him, oblivious to his students turmoil.

"Right, now we take our scalpel, and remove the heart. Using the forceps, put the heart in the small vial of preservative at your tables. Follow that with the lungs, kidneys, and liver. Once you complete that, you may dispose of your specimen in the bio-hazard container and wash your hands....."

The class groaned their distaste to the task, but the teacher ignored them, "Go on now, if you want to pass my class, you have to do this. Right Mr. Bishop?!"

The student murmured his response from somewhere in front of the class, Davey was unsure who it was, not that it mattered.

Davey now grasped the scalpel once again, his hand shaking as he held the cold metal shaft in his hand. The blade seemed to sing to him, to taunt and seduce him.

"Stop it.." Davey said under his breath, as he proceeded to gently cut and remove the heart from the specimen.

He next removed the lungs, then the kidney. He did all this quickly, so as not to see his handiwork any longer than necessary. He dropped them into the vials filled with the clear acrid smelling liquid. All that was left, was the liver. He exhaled slowly, but was glad this was the last step of the dissection before disposing of the frog in the bio-hazardous waste bin. He moved to remove the liver. As he went to do this, someone was walking past him, towards the bio-hazard disposal area at the rear of the classroom.

The student tripped, whether it was intentional or not, and bumped heavily into Davey's chair. The sudden disturbance caused Davey's hand to jerk to the left, the scalpel slicing deep into his left hand. Davey didn't feel it at first, but when the blood started to pour out, only then did the pain set in. He was cut badly, from the inside of his left hand, all the way across the webbing to the back of his hand. Blood cascaded, prompting a female student near by to shriek in disgust and fear. This caused the rest of the class to freak out, more screams and stares, with questions of alarm.

"Did that freak just cut himself in class?"

"Oh my God! He's fucking sick!"

"I told you he was crazy!"

Davey tried to staunch the bleeding with a shaky right hand, but it only caused the blood to spurt and ooze out from the clamped pressure. He was scared. He was scared because he had never seen so much blood come from just one wound, one cut. He was scared because everyone was screaming at him and pointing. Where was the teacher damn it?!

He moved rapidly to Davey's side, practically lifting him out of his seat. He half dragged, half carried Davey over to the sinks located at the back of the room, and turned on the faucet. The water was freezing cold, pouring out of the spout like a fire hose. The teacher proceeded to force Davey's hand under the jet stream, causing more stinging pain and agony.

"Someone take him to the nurse!" the teacher shouted, pointing at a random student.

The student frowned, hating to be burdened with the distasteful request, but he did as he was asked. It didn't help that the student was a jock.

"Take him there, and immediately come back okay?!" the teacher said as he wrapped Davey's ravaged hand in a fistful of paper towels, "Keep pressure and move fast!"

Davey moved rapidly out of the classroom, leaving a bloody trail behind him. The jock refused to open the door for Davey, so Davey opened the door, leaving a bloody smear on the knob.

"You better not have AIDS!" the jock said coldly, as he slammed the door shut.

They moved rapidly to the nurses office, the jock berating him the entire way.

"The fuck is wrong with you man?! Did you have to go and pull that shit in class?! At school of all places?!"

Davey ignored him, he didn't have to explain himself to anyone, not that it'd make a difference.

"God, what is wrong with you?! Why are you so fucked up?!" the jock continued, keeping a distance from Davey by walking ahead of him.

Davey was trying to move as quickly as possible, his left hand felt ice cold, he felt tired all of a sudden. He tried to move a little faster, but the jock seemed so far away all of a sudden. God, why did the nurses office have to be so far away from the science wing?! He was bleeding out rapidly, leaving a trail of blood behind. The wad of paper towels the teacher had given him were now soaked and a dark brownish red. His right hand was caked with rusty dry blood. He moved his hand, and slowly pulled back the sullied paper towels. The deep cut oozed out more blood. Davey gasped, and for a moment, he was actually scared.

They kept walking, the jock always ahead of him. The jock happened to look back to check on his wounded cargo, and only then did he see the severity of the situation. The normally highly shined white floors were now spattered with Davey's blood, now dripping at a heavy volume from his clutched hand.

"Holy shit dude! What, did you hit an artery or something?!" the jock exclaimed, coming to a stop to wait for Davey to catch up.

Davey had dropped back to a crawl, his footsteps were slow and labored. He stumbled a little, leaning up against a wall for support. He took a few more steps before collapsing.

"Oh shit! Oh my God! Oh shit!" the jock exclaimed, before taking off on a sprint to the nurses office to get help.

He left Davey in his own pool of blood, unconscious from blood loss. A lone figure happened up on his crumpled form laying there, deathly still in that school hallway. She gasped at the sight of him, so fragile and weak. She wanted to walk away and leave him, to get help. But she felt it was wrong. She knelt down and with great effort, lifted the unconscious boy up and into her arms. With one of his bloodied arms hung over her shoulder, she carried him to the nurses office, his blood staining her perfect blond hair and clothes.