Sequel: Green Porcupine

Bus Stop

And So It Begins

"Where the hell is she?" I mutter to myself as the bus passes Jill's stop. Two stops later I see three guys walk into the bus,
"C'mon, smell my finger," one of them insists, grossing the other two out. The tall and skinny guy sits a couple of benches in front of me and finger guy joins him. The third guy, dark haired, real punk style sort of guy, sits in the row right in front of me and slings his bag on the seat next to him. Feeling foolish I pull out a piece of paper and pen:

Dear Stranger,
I'm really bored because my friend isn't on the bus today... again. Anyway I see your school bag is open so I thought it would be interesting to see what would happen if I were to slip this letter of boredom in your bag. I go to the same school as you; I think I see you in the hallways sometimes. Just to let you know I think you have truly gorgeous green eyes and I like your hair. I'll stop telling you how good looking you are because I don't want your ego to burst. Your friend seems pretty amusing, the one who wants you to sniff his finger, and I'm thinking maybe you should just humor him and put your face near his finger, but not inhale. Anyway, if you rip this up or choose to use it as toilette paper that's okay, but if I somewhat intrigued you with my boredom and want to write back, leave a letter to me on your seat when you get off the bus tomorrow. I'd figure you'd close your bag when that girl handed you your football that fell out of your bag, but I guess you really don't care.

Yours truly,
Really Bored Girl


I pick up the football that had fallen to the ground moments earlier, tap the stranger on the shoulder.
"This fell out of your bag," I say, passing him the ball.
"Thanks," the green eyed stranger says taking the football and tossing it in his bag, before I sat back down I placed the letter in his bag.

I wait at the bus stop in front of Pinole Valley High School with Jill the next day after school. I can't help but stare a little at the gorgeous green eyes belonging to the stranger.
"Are you even listening to me?" Jill says waving her hand in front of my face.
"Actually, no." I say returning to reality.
"Why are you so distracted anyway?"
"It's nothing, just one of those days."

The bus finally comes around the bend and everyone crams in at the same time. I keep my eye on the stranger while chatting with Jill. The stranger gets up and signals the bus to stop; he looks around the bus and places a paper on his seat.
"Move, let me out of the seat," I murmur to Jill struggling to get to the piece of paper. After retrieving the object of my desire I return to my seat calmly.
"What was that all about?" Jill asks, looking at the paper with interest.
"Well yesterday morning, when you weren't on the bus I wrote the guy who just left a letter and slipped it in his bag, and well now he left me a letter."
"What did you write in your letter?"
"Oh I said that I was bored and I saw his bag was open. I also commented a little on how he has gorgeous eyes."
"Well, open the letter!" Jill says, jabbing my hip with her elbow.

Dear Really Bored Girl,
Your letter really amused me. Just to let you know that if you knew Tre (the finger sniffing guy), you wouldn't go anywhere near his fingers especially if he wants you to sniff them. The reason I don't close my school bag is because the zippers jammed and I really didn't feel like struggling with the zipper at that moment, but don't worry as soon as I read your letter I fixed that damn zipper. How dare you accuse me of using your letter for toilette paper, I'm insulted. I much prefer the quality of news paper. This whole letter writing thing amuses me, so keep writing, but don't reveal who you are... yet. I would like to figure out who you are. Anyway, Tre is telling me to stop being a nerd and to pick up my guitar so this ends my letter to you.

Yours truly,
Stranger
P.S.
You really think I have gorgeous eyes? You sound like a really cute girl, but I wouldn't know because I'm not sure what you look like.


"He's amusing," Jill says, pulling the letter out of my hand. "Are you writing him back?"
"Of course."