Sequel: Green Porcupine

Bus Stop

The Mysterious Tre Cool

"Hi Tre, where's Mike and Billie?" I ask as Tre walks onto the bus on Monday.
"They're not coming to school today," Tre says sitting down in front of me.
"Then why'd you come to school?"
"I came so I can hang out with this girl I like," Tre says blushing a little.
"Perfectly acceptable reason," I say smiling, wondering to myself what kind of girl Tre would like.

My conversation with Tre continues until we reach school.
"I gotta get to my drama class," I say to Tre when the bell rings.
"I should go to English, but I'll probably just end up distracting the people who truly want to learn, so I think I'll go to lunch early," Tre says laughing.
"Okay then, I'll meet you in the cafeteria at the designated lunch time." I say turning around to head to my drama class.

This month's theme in drama class was 'movement to music.' I chose to do my presentation, modern dance style; Ms. Raymond was a sucker for people who'd incorporate dance since she's an ex-ballerina. The music starts and I move slowly as the music picks up so do my steps. I sit with my legs in front of me and glide my arms against the floor as I pull my legs to the side. I stand and bend down gliding my leg behind me as I slide down to the floor ending my routine. Ms Raymond has a look of approval on her face as she claps hysterically, the rest of the class really couldn't give a shit. A second set of clapping is heard from the back of the small auditorium. A very giddy Tre sitting on the steps is clapping almost as vigorously as Ms. Raymond. The bell signaling the end of class rings and I head up the steps to talk to Tre.

"You're a really good dancer," Tre says in a childish voice.
"Thanks," I say modestly, "I thought you were going to lunch"
"It's no fun without some company, and besides watching you dance is so much more interesting then watching the cafeteria chefs pick their noses while they prepare the food," Tre says as I laugh uncontrollably.
"It's a good thing I don't eat school lunches then."
"But bogies are extra protein!"

Ms. Raymond blunders up the stairs toward us.
"Bianca, your dance was exceptional. I would really like you to take part in the regional dance competition, usually we just send our cheerleading squad, but I was wondering if you'd like to take part in the solo competition, we only have two girls from our school doing solos."
"I don't know, I...I..."
"You don't have to make a decision right away, but top five dancers go to the state competition and grand prize is $1000." Ms. Raymond says with a pleading look.
"I'll definitely think about it." I say as I walk out of the auditorium with Tre.
"You should go" Tre says looking at me straight in the eye, "you're really talented."
"It's just the other people competing are the pep squad prosthetics."
"So, think about the prize money and the looks on their faces when you beat their anorexic cheerleading butts."
"What makes you think I'll win?"
"Because you're not going to do any old preppy routine like all the prosthetics who will be competing, and if you want I'll be your manager and we'll split the prize money fifty-fifty." I laugh at his suggestion and say,
"What makes you think I'll give you fifty percent of my winnings, managers get ten percent and not a penny more."
"That's it you have lost the great Tre Cool as you manager." He says sticking his nose in the air with disgust.

Tre followed me and Jill around all day. We get on the bus and sit in the back.
"Tre didn't you say you came to school to see this girl you liked?" I ask poking at him.
"She wasn't here today" Tre says pouting.
"Awe, poor baby" Jill says pinching Tre's cheek.
"Oh Tre, I want you and the guys to come over to my house today, I rented some movies yesterday."
"Umm, okay I guess." he says awkwardly, "Here's the phone number to our apartment" Tre grabs my hand abruptly and starts writing the phone number on my hand. Jill and I get off the bus at my stop, because we plan on watching the movies regardless if the guys come or not. I dial the number Tre gave me and listen to the ringing sound.
"Hello?" Billie's voice says on the other end of the phone.
"Hey Billie!"
"Hey Bianca, or shall I say B.B. Legs"
"Clever." I say sarcasticly.
"Well I try."
"Right, I was calling to ask if you, Mike and Tre wanted to come over and watch some movies with Jill and me."
"Of course. Hold on." after a muffling sounds Billie yells to Mike and Tre, "Hey you monkey-butts, you wanna go watch some movies with the girls." More muffling is heard followed by, "Mike is currently looking for his shoe so we can leave and Tre says he's not feeling well so he's staying here."
"Tell Tre that's complete horse shit and drag him over here."
"Umm he's lying on his bed naked and I'm not going to drag him to your house for both your sake and mine." Billie says as I laugh. I give Billie my address, hang up the phone.

"So are they coming?" Jill asks looking up from her magazine.
"Yeah, but Tre claims he's sick, so he's not coming."
"That sucks."
"Yeah, I mean who's going to make stupid comments throughout the movie?"

Several minutes later the doorbell rings.
"Hey guys" I say opening the door.
"Hey." Billie says as he leans in to kiss me. Mike walks up to Jill and kisses her.
"So let's watch these movies you speak of." Billie says looking around the house. The four of us head back down to the basement where the TV and VCR are set up.
"So what movies did you rent?" Mike asks looking at the small pile of movies on the table.
"Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ghostbusters, and Airplane." I say proudly.
"Sounds good" Mike says sitting down on the sofa with Jill.
"Let's watch Ghostbusters." Billie says hopping around the basement.

The four of us watch Ghostbusters in the darkness of the basement. As the movie progressed Billie and I moved closer together. By the end we were cuddled comfortably at one corner of the sofa and Mike and Jill on the other end.
"Are you guys hungry?" I ask looking at my watch to see it's 6:30 already.
"We're always hungry" Billie says as Mike nods in agreement.
"D'you wanna order a pizza?"
"Sounds good" Mike says seeming way more interested in Jill.
"Pepperoni?" I ask looking at the guys.
"No, just cheese, I'm vegetarian." Billie says very matter-of-factly. I order the pizza and sit back down next Billie. Jill walks up to the TV and puts on Ferris Bueller's day off. As Ferris is telling us the audience how to fake sick, the door bell rings.
"Not getting it!" Jill yells abruptly.
"Me neither." I say next.
"Not me." Mike says as we all turn to Billie Joe.
"Fine!" he says as he gets up lazily to go to the door.
"The money's on the counter." I yell from the sofa. Moments later Billie comes back down the stairs with the pizza.
"We'll need drinks," Billie says looking over at me, "and we don't want to be rude and look through your fridge."
"Aren't you funny." I say as I trudge up the stairs to get a few cans of soda.

Halfway through the movie (and the pizza) my dad comes home and walks into the basement.
"Who are these clowns?" he asks rather rudely.
"This is Billie Joe and that's Mike." I say hoping he'll go back upstairs without anymore interrogation.
"Alright, I'm keeping my eye on you, no funny business." My father says glaring at the guys (Billie Joe especially).
"What do you mean no funny business, we're clowns remember?" Billie says smirking.
"Hey don't get smart with me or I'll whack that damn smirk right off your big dumb face."
"Yes sir." Billie says as he shuts up. My father takes a slice of pizza and heads back upstairs. Once my father's gone I turn to Billie.
"What was that all about, do you have a death wish?!"
"No I just wanted to see if he had a sense of humor." Billie says smirking again.
"Just to let you know you're officially on his bad side."
"Fine with me." Billie says as the two of us go back to watching the movie. After Ferris Bueller's Day Off, the guys think it best that they leave. Correction, Mike thought it was best that they leave; Billie was dying to push my father's buttons some more.