Sequel: Green Porcupine

Bus Stop

Twist of Scene

Wednesday morning I decide i not to go to school, so i stay in bed and skip. The door bell rings waking me up. I fumble to pick up my watch, too damn early. The bell rings again. I drag myself out of bed and walk down the stairs. The door bell rings a third time and I open the door to see Billie Joe.
"Hey, isn't it kind of early?" I say looking at a fully awake Billie Joe.
"Not to me. I need to talk to you."
"Sure, come in I guess." I lead Billie into the kitchen where I put a couple of pop tarts in the toaster.
"First of all I want you to know that I still want to be your friend." Billie says slowly not looking up at me at all.
"What do you mean?" I ask, knowing very well that this is the break up of our short relationship.
"I can't be your boyfriend."

"Okay. Can I at least know why?"
"Well, first of all there's no real attraction between us, I mean if we look at Jill and Mike their both crazy for each other, and between the two of us it's just enjoying each other's company."
"I've realized."
"Second of all, Tre is madly, head over heels, ga-ga in love with you. I can't do this to him" Billie rambles. I stand in the middle of the kitchen stunned for a second.
"But Tre said he liked some other girl, that's why he was in school on Monday, except she wasn't there." I say still trying to make sense of the situation.
"Don't you get it, that girl wasn't absent, that girl was you!" Billie says waving his arms about, "And that night, at our concert, when he said I think I love you, he wasn't drunk, I think he was fuckin serious." I sit at the table across from Billie Joe and hand him a pop tart.
"I guess that makes sense." I say after a moment or two, "So is that why he didn't come over on Monday?"
"I guess," Billie says with a mouthful of pop tart, "and I mean, I know you have some interest in him, but I could tell you were repressing it because you were with gorgeous ol' me." I slap Billie Joe's arm playfully and ask,
"Still friends?"
"Still friends." Billie says slapping me back.

Friday morning on the bus, Tre takes the seat next to mine.
"So I heard you and Billie broke up." Tre says looking at me and I could tell he already knew the answer.
"Yeah, but we decided we'd stay friends, besides we barely went out for a week so it's no big deal."
"I see. So, would you like to see a movie with me tonight?" Tre asks nervously, probably afraid of rejection.
"I'd love to see a movie with you Tre." I say smiling.
"I shall pick you up at seven." he says as goes to kiss my hand.

In drama class I walk up to Ms. Raymond confidently.
"I have decided I'm going to compete in the dance competition." I say looking her in the eye. Being the eccentric woman she is, Ms. Raymond comes up to me and embraces me in a tight hug.
"Thank you," she says practically in tears, "the other dancers aren't even worthy of competition."
"Can you let go of me now?" I manage to squeak out, Ms. Raymond realizes that she's still hugging me and let's go and says.
"The regional competition is in two weeks, I would like to see your routine in a week, if that's possible."
"Sure" I say as I discreetly leave class to hang out with Tre.

I get home around five thirty and head down into the basement to start working on my dance routine. My steps begin to flow with the music as I try different combinations. After coming up with thirty seconds of the routine, I start the music over again to try it in its entirety.
"That's really good." Tre's voice says from the stairs, I whip around to see him.
"Holy fuck Tre! You scared the shit out of me!"
"Well aren't you ladylike." Tre says referring to my choice language.
"Didn't you say seven o'clock?" I ask looking at my watch.
"I got bored waiting around the apartment for seven o'clock, so I came here."
"Who let you in, my dad's not home is he?"
"No, no. I climbed in the window when you refused to answer the door." Tre says smirking evilly.
"Yeah. I can't hear the bell from down here, when the music's on."
"So do you want to go for some burgers before the movie?" Tre asks leaning on the railing, "or do you have to watch your girlish figure?"
"Nope, I have a fast metabolism, bring on the burgers." I say patting my stomach.
"That's my girl!" Tre says picking me up and carrying me up the stairs. As he opens the front door I ask.
"Can I at least get changed out of these sweaty clothes before we go?"
"If you insist," he says slightly disappointed as he carries me to my room and drops me on my bed. Grabbing a pair of black jeans and Ramone's tee, I head into the washroom to get changed.
"It's okay, I don't mind if you change in front of me!" Tre yells after me.
"Well I do!" I say shutting the door behind me. After checking myself in the mirror I leave the washroom.

"Okay, I'm ready." I say to Tre who's going through the stuff on my desk. He looks me over and walks up to me.
"Great!" he says enthusiastically as he picks me up again.
"You know you don't have to carry me everywhere, I am capable of walking on my own."
"But you're so much fun to carry, you're like a pixie!" he says whimsically.
"Great, I'm being compared to a pixie." I say sarcastically.
"Hey, it's a compliment."
After eating supper at the local burger joint, Tre and I head to the cinema where we decided to watch Batman.

"That joker really makes me feel like wearing more make-up." Tre says after the movie.
"Oh yeah, and his butt is to die for, I mean flabby is hot." I add in jokingly.
"I know, my butt is hideous compared to how lovely and flabby his is," Tre says smirking, "Do you want to see it?"
"See what?" I ask still laughing.
"My butt."
"Sure Tre." At that moment Tre starts fidgeting with his belt, right there on the sidewalk, he pulls down his pants and shakes it for a moment, then pulls them back on.
"I thought it was only fair since I saw yours that night after the concert." Tre says smirking.
"You're wrong your butt is sexy!" I say laughing my head off.
"True." Tre says proudly.