Girl Next Door

Overhearing Conversations

Kylie had her hands buried in the dish washer, scrubbing some pans from the morning breakfast when she heard foot steps behind her. She looked over her shoulder and noticed Brian standing there. Her heart skipped a beat, as she took her hands out of the water, and dried them off on a towel. She slowly turned around and smiled softly at him.

"Anything I can get for you?" She asked.

"I just wanted to say thank you." He said.

"For what?" She asked, burrowing her brows together.

"The sandwiches, and being nice." He said, forcing himself to smile for the first time in days.

She smiled back, "Your welcome. Is there anything else I can get for you?" She asked.

"No, I'm fine." He said turning around and walking back into the living room with her brother.

She finished up washing the dishes, although she had actually been dying to go back and talk to Brian some more. She didn't know when all the hard feelings had faded, but she no longer held a grudge for the way he had once treated her. She sucked in a deep breath, as she walked into the living room. She saw that the two of them had ate the sandwiches and smiled.

"Still hungry?" She asked, as she lifted the tray.

They both shook their head, and she headed back into the kitchen to began scrubbing. She could hear parts of their conversation and decided to try to listen in.

Brian leaned back in the couch and listened as Cyrus talked about something. He wasn't really paying attention, as bad as that sounded. He was just happy to have some sort of life back to him. He knew he'd always miss Jimmy, but Cyrus had been right. He couldn't stop living. Jimmy wouldn't want him to do that, and he wasn't about to disappoint his best friend. He also couldn't stop thinking about Kylie now. She had actually been civil today, and he had began to notice her a lot more. Of course, she was stunning. Anyone with eyes could see that, but he was noticing her personality. Maybe she wasn't just a stoned face bitch, maybe there was more to her.

"Earth to Brian, are you zoning out again?"

"Is your sister dating anyone?" Brian blurted out.

Cyrus laughed, "You interested?"

"I don't know." Brian admitted.

"She's not dating anyone that I know of." Cyrus said, "But I think you should probably try being her friend before asking her out."

Kylie leaned over a bit more trying to hear what exactly they were talking about. She had heard her name mentioned, and Brian say he didn't know about something. She really hated only being able to hear half of their conversation. She groaned out as they quit talking all together. It was really getting on her nerves to not know what they had said, especially since her name was involved.

She walked into the living room and noticed Brian was now standing up. He and Cyrus had a quick guy hug, and then he flashed her a soft smile, and Cyrus walked him towards the door. She then realized he was leaving, and her heart sank to the bottom of her stomach.

"Bye Kylie." He said from the door.

She smiled softly, "Bye Brian."

With that he walked out of the door. She watched as Cyrus closed it and walked back over to sit down on the couch. She bit down on her bottom lip as she walked over and took a seat exactly were Brian had been sitting earlier.

"So, what did you two talk about?" She asked.

Cyrus laughed, "What?" He smirked, "Couldn't you hear everything from the kitchen?"

"Huh?" She asked playing dumb, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Kylie, I'm your brother, and I lived here for twenty years of my life. I know you can practically hear every word spoke in the living room from the kitchen."

"Not every word." She muttered.

He laughed, "What?"

"I said not every word. What was said about me?"

He laughed, and then stood up, "I lowered my voice for a reason, Ky! It wasn't meant for you to hear."

"But it's about me."

"So?" Cyrus asked.

"Tell me." She pleaded.

"Why do you want to know? Why do you care what Brian and I talk about? Unless of course you have a crush on him."

She huffed, "I do not have a crush on Brian."

"I think you might."

"I think you're insane." She retorted.

"Whatever," He chuckled, "I've got to get ready. I'm going out tonight."

She watched as her brother walked up the stairs without another word said. She burrowed her brows in distaste as she sat down on the couch. The last thing she wanted was Cyrus thinking she had a crush on Brian. She didn't have a crush on him. She was just now getting to the point of tolerating him. She would never have a crush on him, no matter how attractive or amusing she may find him.

She tried to regain the feelings of hatred she had for Brian, but couldn't seem to find them. She knew he was going through a hard time right now and blamed that as the reason why she was being so nice, but deep down she knew that wasn't it. She didn't like these new feelings she had for him, and wondered why after all this time they were surfacing.

But then she asked herself a tricky question. Were they just surfacing or had they been there all along? Had she just been too hung up on pretending to hate him so much to know how she really felt?

She sighed, and shook her head. She didn't know what was going on, and had a feeling that it wasn't going to get any better anytime soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image