Status: Complete.

My Doctor

.

The Doctor had been quite happily working on the TARDIS - it was nearly finished now, he hoped, just a few tweaks to the control panel left to sort out - when he felt his heart stop.

It skipped one beat. He faltered, catching Rose's attention from the other side of the room.

"Doctor? What's wrong?" She moved to his side, a hand going out to hold his arm.

He met her eyes and saw the concern there just as he realised what that brief palpitation signaled.

"A ripple across the dimensions." He explained, straightening up. "I'm sorry."

"What for?" She frowned at him.

"I... The Doctor, the - the other one..." He always had trouble broaching the subject of his 'other half' with Rose. "He's regenerating."

Rose didn't say anything at first. Instead, she locked her arms around his skinny waist and pressed her face into the fabric of his suit.

It was brown, not blue. Jackie had found it in a charity shop whilst looking for baby clothes, much to the Doctor's disgust. But it was identical to the one his counterpart in the other dimension wore and it fit like a glove, so he wasn't about to complain. Much.

And besides, he'd always preferred the brown suit anyway. It turned out that Rose liked that one best, too.

"He's..." The Doctor smiled softly into her hair as he wrapped his arms around her. "Still not ginger."

"I don't wanna know." Rose looked up at him then. "You said that the two of you share the same memories, the same everything. The only difference," She placed one hand over his single heart. "Is this thing, right here."

He took one arm from around her so that he could encircle the hand she had placed on his chest with his own.

"Rose -"

"Shh. You are the Doctor. You are my Doctor, and you always will be."

He'd always been scared that he would come second in her affections to the Time Lord version of himself, and up until now she had never said anything to either confirm or deny his unspoken fears.

"My perfect Rose." He murmured, leaning down to capture her mouth in a kiss.

As they drew apart, he frowned.

"What is it now?" She laughed.

"Rose..." He narrowed his eyes, trying to get a proper image of what he was seeing through the connection in his head. "What do you remember about New Year's Day 2005?"
♠ ♠ ♠
The Tenth Doctor, 2005 - 2010.