Status: not sure if I'll ever finish. I don't have much time anymore, but, never say never.

Because She Would Ask Me Why I Loved Her

Bittersweet Symphony

Image

2048
When I was 18, my life changed forever, I know people say that all the time but for most of them, it was the age when they “became an adult” or “went off to school and said goodbye to my parents forever.” Well, in my case, it is so much more than that.

Because I have lived here for most of my life, I feel like I don’t have to explain myself and my story much. My story is one that cannot be simply told in a single sentence or two. Despite the passage of 40 years that have happened since that fateful year and despite the fact that most of the people who knew me from then have either died or moved away, my story is somewhat their story, because in a sense, they lived it with me. It was I, however, who was the closest to it.

I am nearing 60, but I can still remember that year as though I were still living it. I like to relive that time over and over again in my mind but when I do; I feel a sense of sadness and yet joy at the same time. There are moments when I wish I could take away the sadness but then I realized that without the sadness of it, I would have never experienced the joy as well. It is June 6 and as I make my way to the back porch, I see the clouds have yet to show the sun.

I see the mountains of North Carolina from that porch and it makes me realize all over again why I love Franklin. When the wind blows, I zip up my jacket and suddenly, my mind starts to go back to when I was 18. As though through movie magic, I feel myself growing younger, my hair goes from slightly grey to back to blonde, my face no longer has wrinkles and my weakened muscles go back to the way they were back then.

Then, like me, the world around me changes, I am no longer sitting on my back porch, instead I am outside First Presbyterian Church of Franklin, North Carolina and I know exactly who I am.

I am Kellan Christopher Lutz, I am 17 years old. This is my story, I promise to leave nothing out. First you will smile, and then you will cry­ don’t say you haven’t been warned.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is only the beginning. The next chapter will be the first official chapter where we meet Kellan as an 17, almost 18 year old. This chapter simply helps us see Kellan as an older man looking back on his time as an 18 year old and how much his life changed during that time. It is not an introduction but rather a prolouge, where we meet the main character and his surroundings. We know that Kellan still lives in Franklin, but we don't know everything else that has happened since he was 18.