So What If I'm a Witch?

Do You Believe?

All it took was just one look at Leila for Amber to know that something was up. "Rough night?" She hazarded a guess.
Leila nodded, gnawing her lip slightly out of habit. "I'm grounded. Mum caught me sneaking out."

Amber sighed. "Again? You seem to be getting grounded a lot, these days!"

Amber was a really good friend to Leila in that they were practically inseparable since childhood, which had the perk of knowing each other really well. She knew when Leila was feeling down, and likewise. However, she had no idea about Leila's occult background. Nothing personal, of course, but it was the absolute rule. Never let anyone know what you really are. It was a rule that had been created in the days of witch hunts, but that wasn't really the case anymore, and yet the rule still stayed. Leila guessed that regular humans would just get too freaked out if they knew.

Just before Leila could continue their English teacher, Mr Gordon, strode into the classroom and promptly jumped on his desk and made airplane noises, arms spread wide in exultation. "Join me!" His grin spread wide over his face, stretching to the point where he resembled the Cheshire cat. "RUM-NANA-RUMRUM, NYER!!!"
Leila briefly wondered if her English teacher was actually, well, a bit crazy.

Half the class jumped on their desks, and Amber couldn't help jumping too, dragging Leila up with her. "Come on!" She started laughing. "Let's be airplanes!"

Leila, down as she was, couldn't help laughing and smiling as Amber hauled her up on the desk, and soon the whole class started jumping from desk to desk and roaring like airplane engines. There were a couple of fatal crashes and death scenes, but that didn't matter.
English just became a hell of a lot more epic.
Leila couldn't help but notice the irony in today's lesson; she got grounded for flying out of bounds (but she wasn't going to tell Amber that) and now flying lessons in English? This was so weird!
Later on, Leila and Amber found out that the flying lessons in English were happening because they were about to study the War Photographers. Whoop.
Still, it was worth it when the principle walked in and found the whole class squawking at her like geese-
"-and you know what she did next?" Leila's eyes glowed excitedly.
Danny just rolled his eyes. God, Leila's school was weird. "Go on then. What?"
"She jumped on the tables too! And she flaps her arms like she's a duck!" Leila collapsed into fits of laughter the memory of Mrs Piper still fresh in her mind.
Then she lowered her gaze. "But even so, we've all got detention now."
"Yikes." Danny lightly punched her on the arm. "What's wrong with you these days, eh?"

"Oh shut up. You know it wasn't my fault i got grounded!" Leila made an effort to grin at Danny, as if she didn't really care that she wasn't allowed out for the next month, but they both knew it was hopeless.
"About that, I'm sorry." Danny rubbed the back of his neck, where it was pink from sunburn. Strangely enough, his ears started taking on a red tinge as well. "I shouldn't have asked you to come out, I didn't think your mom cared that much if you stayed out."
In all honesty, her mother didn't actually care that Leila was out late, or that she met up with Danny. Leila's mother was really laid-back around the house, she barely ever set curfews or rules or anything.
The truth, was that Leila was actually flying, practicing her skills on the broomstick, but the part where she got into trouble was when she flew over the Restricted Zone, the no-go area forbidden to all witches and magical entities like herself.
She didn't just fly over it though, she landed in it. Leila guessed that she was partly influenced by the fullness of the moon, which often leads people to do crazy things (hence the name 'lunatics'), and partly influenced by her own curiosity.
It was the one area in the whole of her country where magical entities were not permitted to enter under any circumstances. It was also, not by coincidence, the most powerful area. Any rites or rituals or spells cast or created there were bound to Fate, it was eternal, and it was powerful. The Council wanted to restrict such fate-binding activity, since it was troublesome in the long run, and so made the area strictly forbidden.

Leila looked over to Danny, taking him in. She liked how the sun shone through his blonde hair; it was ethereal, almost like a halo, and made Leila feel less alone when it came to being a supernatural entity. He wasn't supernatural at all, of course, but something about him made her feel like she could be more like her self, and less guarded. It wasn't often that she got to be with him like this, since he was older than her and had 'things to do' - which, in Leila's opinion, was code for "boring".
"Hey, Danny." Leila looked across at him, winding the grass she was sitting on around her ring finger until it snapped, green hairs threaded in her palms.
His eyes were closed, head rested on the arms behind his head. He looked at peace, lying on the grass with her, the sunlight illuminating his flecks of freckles sprinkled across his nose. "Yeah?"
Deep breath. You can do this, she told herself sternly.

"Do you believe in magic?" There. It was out before she could stop herself. No going back now. She didn't know why she said it, but she knew it would be dangerous.
Maybe she was tired of being alone.
Danny thought for a minute, brought his hand over his eyes to shield it from the glaring sunlight. "Kinda." He replied eventually.
"What do you mean?"
"Well, it's there isn't it? Unexplained things that happen, that could be considered magic." He propped himself up on his elbows, turning himself to face Leila. She felt her cheeks grow hot.
"I think it's a kind of science. One that no one knows much about, once that hasn't been discovered yet."
"Mmmm yeah." She lay back, folding her arms on her belly. "But forget about science. I mean things like broomsticks, like potions and spells and familiars and stuff."
"Isn't that witchcraft?"
Crap. "Yeah, I suppose."
They lay in silence for a few minutes, listening intently to the rushing water of the nearby stream, both thinking about what the other said. Swallows sang above the shadows of the oak tree, while the sun patterned itself through the gaps between leaves.
Then Danny spoke once more.

"Do you believe in witches?"A
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooohhh what's leila going to do now? :O

Sorry I havn't updated in so long, i'm just so glad to finally get this up!! :D

You know, the first thousand times were so annoying, i finished the new chapter and then it deleted itself once i saved it! Not fun. At All.

Hope this one survives ;)