So What If I'm a Witch?

Heated words

Apart from the arrival of the new boy in class, school seemed about as boring as ever. Leila huffed as she swung the door open to her house; "I'm home!"

No answer, not that she expected one.

She made her way into the kitchen and rummaged through the cupboards to find something to eat, pushing past the jars of Toad's Eyes, Owl Talons and Raven's beaks to make her way to the blackcurrant jam.

Human food, as her mother distastefully called it, is dishonourable. So it was hidden behind the more 'witchy' delicacies, but Leila couldn't stand the thought of eating toads - too slimy - so jam on toast it was.

Leila laid out her homework on the table. She couldn't be bothered with English, so she tossed it in the bin - the teacher was crazy anyway, so it's not like he'd notice. Maths was irrelevant. So was Art. Seriously, who cares about drawing perfect ovals?

She was about to toss History in the bin too, but a thought came to her. If she shared the class with Jake, who might possibly be the hottest boy on earth, did she want to appear smart and studious, or rebellious? Which would be more attractive?

Am I seriously thinking about how i could look attractive to him?! Leila mentally scolded herself.

But she looked at the homework again anyway.

'Superstition' acts as a historic refuge for people to place the blame of their own misfortunes. Discuss how this was utilised in from the 19th Century to the present day.

Leila grinned. Perfect. Maybe she could shine after all!

Before she could go upstairs, she saw a black movement in the corner of her eye. "Jinx!" She exclaimed. "You should be asleep. What are you doing here?"

The black cat licked his paws, eyeing the paper in front of her. Careful, he purred, not to shine too bright.

Leila rolled her eyes. “For once.” She muttered, stomping upstairs and leaving the cat behind her.

Later that evening, as she was finishing the history essay, Leila heard a distinct thump at the fireplace.

Probably her mother.

Leila sighed and rose from her chair, then went down the stairs to the living room, where the fireplace was. As she entered, she saw her mother dusting off coal dust from her shoulders.
“So how come I’m grounded when I come down the chimney, and you only get away with having to dust off your shoulders?”

“Is that any way to welcome your mother?” Leila forgot how tall this woman was; when she landed in the chimney, she was bending her knees to soften the landing. But now, she stood towering over her, and Leila suddenly remembered why it was that she rarely spoke back to her.

Leila’s mother was not only extremely tall, but also extremely beautiful. Her glossy chestnut-brown hair tumbled in waves, framing her strong, oval-shaped face adorned with large dark eyes and pouty red lips. Lips the colour of cherries.

Lips the colour of blood.

Many who knew her would describe her as a dangerous woman, but they were lucky. They didn’t have to live with her.

“Did you have a nice day?” Leila said through her teeth, trying to appear polite, but failing miserably.

“Dreadful. I’m in desperate need of a remedy.” She stormed past Leila through to the kitchen, where Leila followed. She expected her to pull out a bottle of red wine – the only human food she seemed to like – but instead she brought out a different sort of gold liquid.

“Is that… spirit nectar?”

“Oh don’t be such a prude my dear, I’m only having a drop.” She said, filling up half a wine glass.

Leila sat and waited for her mother to talk. She usually loved to have someone to complain to. It didn’t take long.

“Bad day at the Council.” Her mother gulped down a mouthful of nectar, then laid the glass to rest carefully on the table. She furrowed her eyes, as if to concentrate. “They want to tighten up the rules of flying. Thanks to you.”

“Thanks, mother, for all this wonderful, loving support.” Leila rolled her eyes. “I was only there for five minutes, that’s not even enough time for a classic incantation!”

Do try not to excuse yourself. It’s dishonourable. I forgot, it’s not just flying, but they want to stop the use of any magic whatsoever during daylight hours.”

“What?! But that’s not fair!”

“I said so too. Thankfully there wasn’t a majority vote, but just be careful from now on, okay? I don’t want to have to make up excuses for you again.”

“Did you have to make an excuse for me for last night?”
“I said you were lost. And drunk.”

“Really? But I thought alcohol was dishonourable.” Leila said, emphasising what seemed to be her mother’s favourite word.

“Yes, it is,” Suddenly her mother looked down at her, angrily. “But not as much as going to explicitly forbidden territory! Honestly, what were you thinking? That you wouldn’t get caught? Goddess Almighty, you are so stupid!”

“I don’t know, I just…” Leila mumbled. “I just thought it might be fun.”

She was going to get it now.

Her mother drank the last of the nectar, and then stared angrily at the glass. Then, with one quick movement, fast as a fox, she smashed the glass against the wall. “Might be fun?” She screamed. “You think being scrutinised by the Council is fun? Is being grounded fun? What about punishment, huh? If I hadn’t stood up for you every single goddamn time you did something fun you could be dead right now, do you understand?”

She shuddered with anger. “Next time you decide to do something fun, don’t count on me to defend you, you ungrateful bitch.”

Her mother walked out, leaving Leila behind in the kitchen, trying to hold the tears in.

“Jinx?” She said shakily, almost whispering. “Where are you?”

Here.

The black cat jumped on Leila’s lap and let her bury her face in his fur. Normally, he was hateful of any such action, but perhaps not today.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like Jinx. I think of him as a teenager; aloof, self-centred, but still cares about the ones he loves.

Comments would be welcome :)