Status: Slowly Writing it, bear with me.

The Meaning of Life

Chapter Two

After about ten minutes of awkward silence with Trace, one of my favorite songs came on the iPod, so I began to hum along.

"You know, you have great taste in music," Trace said out of no where, startling me a bit. "I haven't heard a song yet that I don't like."

I just turned toward him and smiled slightly, still too shy to speak.

"We feel alive inside for the first time!" Trace sang loudly out of no where, causing me to jump slightly and almost drop my roller. He chuckled slightly to himself at the sight of me being a fool. "I didn't mean to startle you," he told me with a warm smile. "But Hawk Nelson is legit! Have you ever seen them in concert?"

Hawk Nelson was by far one of my favorite bands, but sadly, I've never been to a concert. That is, with the exception of a local band of a group of friends. "No," I sighed, "I wish!"

I didn't know wether to trust the smirk that spread across Trace's face or run for my life. It was a feeling I'd felt many times over and over with my best friend, Sam, but here I was really worried. "They would rock your face off!"

I just smiled at him and turned back to painting. He was very nice, I had to admit that. It was just quite awkward at how open and out there he was. He didn't even seem to be a drop shy!

After about an hour and a half of awkwardness, lots of painting, and small talk about music we had main part of the room done. As I started putting the lids on the paint cans and picking up some things sitting around on the floor, I gave my thanks to Trace for helping me. I would have never gotten this far just by myself, all I had left to do the next day was the trim around the top and bottom and to splatter paint it. Trace said goodbye with a genuine smile and exited my room to join my brothers. I could hear my brothers and their friends laughing and teasing Trace about coming to help me.

"Hey, lover boy, don't you be hitting on my sister!" Wess laughed, "She's gross!"

I smiled slightly to myself, knowing that even though Wess and Ty call me gross and tease me all the time, they'd fight for me in an instant. I could hear Matt's laughter ringing through the closed door, it sounded somewhat nervous mixed with embarrassment.

"Who knew that the new guys in town would have a sister close enough to their age that Trace could date her," one of the guys I didn't know chuckled sending a wave of laughter throughout the whole group.

I sighed, not wanting to hear anymore of their jokes, and headed downstairs to join the rest of the people. My dad greeted me with a smile and a smudge of golden brown on his nose. I couldn't help but laugh slightly at the sight of that. The living room was mostly done, as were my parents' room, the boys' rooms, and the bathrooms. All that we had left was the trim in all the rooms and the kitchen. The den didn't need painting because it had wood panneled walls, and my mom loved that.

It was about eight in the evening by the time the boys joined us downstairs. One by one people starting leaving, the only ones left at about nine were Trace and his parents, one other boy and his mom, and a couple of my dad's friends.

"Well," my mom spoke, "I guess its about time for us to head out." By 'head out' she meant go to my aunt's house, where we'd been staying until we got things set up. Aunt Sissy lived in the city about twenty minutes away.

Out of the corner of my eye I spotted Ty talking to my dad, and after about a minute my dad smiled and nodded. Ty pulled his fist back toward his body and said, "Yes!" in a very enthusiastic way. He hustled back over to where Wess and Trace stood and told them the good news. They both reacted in the same way Ty had and Wess separated himself from the other two and headed over to me.

"So, guess who will be joining us at Auntie's tonight?" he asked me, a mischevious grin across his face.

"Oh let me guess, Trace?" I asked, knowing that's who it was going to be.

"No, actually," Wess replied, wiping the smirk off his face. "Unless you wanted him to?" with that my stomach flipped and I felt sick.

"No! I just figured that's who it would be, since he's still here you know?" I quickly said.

"I'm just kidding. Yes, the Tracester is staying the night!" Wess laughed.

"The Tracester? You already have a nickname for him?

"Does Aunt Sissy know he's coming?" I asked, even though I knew he would have already okayed it with her.

"Of course, I called her while you guys were getting the paint. Mom told us to ask dad for sure, which Ty just did," Wess replied in a matter of fact tone. "So Matt's and his mom are leaving now so he can shower and get clothes and we're going to pick him up in about twenty minutes."

"That's cool," I said, trying to act nonchalant. "You guys will be up all night I bet."

"Of course. So will you!" Wess said, "Don't think you're going to just hide all night and not join us. Because Ty and I will put you on a leash if you try."

"Oh will you now?" I challenged playfully. "But what if I'm tired?"

"Ha, yeah right, Tal. I know you better than that, so don't even try," Wess laughed and tousled my hair. "We're going midnight bowling. All four of us. Sorry little sis, but you're coming too."

I just smiled and shook my head as Wess left me to join Matt and Ty. Matt's parents were by the door and my mom was saying her thanks to them for helping. They nodded and said things like "anytime" and "no problem".

"C'mon, Matt," his mother called, and Matt was by her side in a second, obviously excited about spending the night with us tonight.

"See ya in a while, bro," Ty called out to Matt as he exited the door.

In a few minutes everyone else had cleared out and we were loading into our white SUV. Living in a small town, it only took a few minutes to get to Matt's house. While Ty went up to the door to get Matt, Wess scooted back to join me in the very back.

Matt had already showered and his smell filled the car as he entered. His hair was still semi wet and he had a Hawk Nelson shirt on with basketball shorts. I smiled inwardly to myself after seeing his shirt. He sat in the seat directly in front of me and buckled his seatbelt.

I stayed quiet for the most part on the way to my aunt's. The boys talked mostly about what they were going to do for the rest of summer vacation and who was going to be in concert soon.

When we reached my Aunt's house the boy's introduced Matt. I went to the master bedroom and took a quick shower before. After my shower I went to the living room to join the boys. I was wearing a volleyball shirt and mesh shorts from my old school. My still slightly wet hair was up in a messy bun, and I had a silver headband in. When I reached the living room Matt and Wess were watching TV. Wess had already showered and his hair was still drying. He had on a cutoff and mesh shorts as well.

Wess smiled as he saw me approach. "Ty just got in the shower a few minutes ago. He should be done soon."

Matt looked up at me when he realized that I was standing there. We locked eyes for a second and he smiled slightly until I wrenched my gaze toward the dining room where my parents were talking to my aunt and uncle.

I joined them at the table and my dad put his arm around me in a sideways hug and kissed the top of my head. Both my aunt and my uncle gave me a quick smile. It only took Ty about five more minutes before he was ready to go.

"Ready Tal?" Ty asked me as he walked in the dining room to grab his keys.

I nodded and started toward the front door. "You kids have fun," my mom called after us.

As he was shutting the front door, Ty pressed the button to unlock his car, and all four of us climbed in the silver Altima. Wess and Ty were in the front, leaving me with Matt in the backseat. Ty started the car and turned up the music before we backed out. Then we were off.