‹ Prequel: Frozen Tundra
Status: Currently put on pause for varying circumstances. I will return to FT when I have a firm basis to continue.

United Front

Prologue: The Trial of Hannah Scarbrough

The small court room inside Bunker 118 of Fersinkov City, the headquarters for the 113th Imperial Guard Battle Group, was empty except for a single female figure that was pacing a small solitary line in the center of the floor.

The room was loosely decorated; small trinkets were shoved here in there such as a small bush in the very corner that you would not have noticed unless you were looking for it. About a dozen tapestries and banners hung from the low roof. One tapestry that stood out was the picture of Lord-General Gregory Valsen, late commander of the 113th.

Beneath the banners were various photographs of the regiments from Taiga that serve in the ranks of the Imperial Guard, unfortunately the regiments had been shipped to other planets before the current ork Waaagh! assaulted the planet. In dire need of help, the Taigans called the Imperium, immediately after the desperate message, the 113th battle-group as dispatched.

The young female officer, Captain Hannah Scarbrough, in technical terms: former Captain Hannah Scarbrough, finally took her seat in the middle of the floor. She was facing the raised podium where the commander of the 113th, Ivor Kulikov, would be sitting.

In the small court room, the tiny spectators section began to fill up. Amongst the seated audience, Hannah noticed a few officers of her command squad, including her sanctioned commissar, Andre Malicov, take the seats closest to the podium.

Each of them gave her a subtle salute.

Hannah looked at trooper Novisik, the rank on his shoulder telling her that the field commission she had given him was still active. She chuckled to herself, Apparently that’s the only thing command hasn’t reprimanded me for.

The reason she was sitting in this chair was legitimate: Failure to follow orders. But the accusation did not have enough negative evidence that the Lord-General’s right hand man (the man that put her in this chair) had to dig deep to find some connotation against her, despite the fact that it didn’t pertain to the accusation.

A few moments later, Vadivik Misalin, walked into the room taking his seat on the right of the podium facing Hannah.

Hannah had never liked the man, and he didn’t like her. Vadivik was a ghostly man, his skin was so pale it nearly blended with his pristinely white great-coat, and his cheeks sunk deep into his face, and a dark ring surrounded each of his eyes. His appearance made him look a lot older than he really was.

As she looked up at him he did his best to avert his gaze away from hers by busying him with his latest evidence against her. It seemed as if this man feared her. Maybe it was the fact that Kulikov saw her as an officer with great potential. Unlike Vadivik, Ivor had sided with the young female officer. During the duration of the trial, it had been apparent that Vadivik’s evidence had not convinced Ivor whatsoever. True she had disobeyed an order, but in the end the disobedience had done more good than bad.

As if on cue, she heard the Lord-General’s commissar yell out, “Attention!!!”

All in the room obediently stood up as the Lord-General entered the room in his usually relaxed state, “Please, sit, sit. Vadivik if you will please.”

Vadivik stood up, calling the order to the court room.

And then the trial began…