‹ Prequel: Frozen Tundra
Status: Currently put on pause for varying circumstances. I will return to FT when I have a firm basis to continue.

United Front

Chapter Two: Hold the Line No Matter the Cost

Weather: Light-Heavy Snows
Predicted Temperature: -20°C

Hannah and Andrew entered the small conference room in the former city hall of Tsorograd. They instantly realized that this meeting was no minor conference. Colonel Sebastian Sugechov of the 203rd along with the other three colonels of the other regiments sat in the very front of the room.
Hannah sat herself next to Vladimir Sikorsky, captain of 3rd company, while Andre made his way to the back of the room next to the rest of the commissars.

They all focused their attention to the front as a Cadian officer called the meeting to order. Colonel Sebastian was the first to speak, “We have quite a lot to cover tonight, news both good and bad.”

Sebastian turned to Colonel Lindhoff of the 47th Grenadiers, who opened a folder and said, “Good news first, we will be receiving reinforcements in the next few days.”

The room cheered.

The 63rd’s Colonel, Renik, raised his hand to silence the gathered officers, “Before you cheer and rejoice, let me tell you the bad news. Once those troops arrive, that’s all the troops we’re going to be getting. After those reinforcements, we’re pretty much on our own.”

Hannah heard a Krieg captain from across the room, “That’s it? Nothing more?

“Unfortunately, yes. That’s all we’re getting.”

A Cadian officer spoke out, “Did you inform the Lord-General of our situation?”

Sebastian folded his hands and nodded, “Yes we did, but the situation, we are told, is worse in the Northern Front. The death toll in the North reaches the near hundreds every day.”

A few of the female officers let out a gasp of disbelief.

Colonel Harris of the 114th also nodded, “The West is also in need of reinforcements, they are doing an offensive push, and we can expect reinforcements from them in at least two months.”

“Two months! We may not be alive in two months!”

Lindhoff looked at the assembled audience, “Yes, the Lord-General knows that possibility, but we have to hold this city, if we fall the entire rear-front of our forces will be exposed. If we do run low on troops, we figured that holding the bridge would be our best bet.”

The room began to erupt in protest, but was soon silenced when Sebastian slammed his fist against the table, “We’re not finished! Pay attention by the Emperor’s name!”

A holo-graphic projection of Landergrasse, a major city in the North where the Imperial forces were staging their defense, appeared in front of the audience.

“Landergrasse is under heavy assault,” Renik said sternly, “Half of the city has already been lost, the 109th Harakoni has been annihilated completely, the 21st Vostroyan has been so devastated that they have been completely removed from action.”

“Some 200,000 guardsmen have died in Landergrasse, and another 3,200 have been lost in action.”

“And to make things worse, there have been sightings of looted baneblades wandering the streets, killing relentlessly. One has been confirmed destroyed by the 21st, but at the expense of an entire company.”

The projection dissipated and was replaced by a projection of New Mockba, “The forces of New Mockba are in a better position then those in Landergrasse.”

The map showed the four bridges of New Mockba, “The four regiments of New Mockba are beginning an offensive which will cripple the greenskins permanently on the West. Once they capture the other half of new Mockba, the orks force will have no where to turn except the western plain or the Calvaris Mountains. There is no shelter in those areas and they will die from the cold conditions. Once the offensive is finished the 56th Elysian and the 87th Tallarn will be re-routed to us.”

The room was filled with debate until the four colonels stood up in unison.

Sebastian broke the silence, “One order was emphasized.”

The room was quiet for an eerily long time until Lindhoff spoke one fatal line...

“To hold the line no matter the cost.”