‹ Prequel: Frozen Tundra
Status: Currently put on pause for varying circumstances. I will return to FT when I have a firm basis to continue.

United Front

Chapter Five: A Break From the Storm

Weather: Light Snows, Fast Winds
Predicted Temperature: -34°C

Andre stood up and looked at the huge column of flame, “What in the Emperor’s name was that?”

“Don’t stop firing, I’ll handle this,” Hannah said as she attempted to raise the commander of the NW front.

“This is Cadian Officer Derrick Vicen, reporting in the stead of Captain Johnson. To whom may I ask is speaking?”

“This is Captain Hannah Scarbrough of the 203rd Valhallan, what the hell just happened over there?”

There was a pause filled with static, “It was a move we weren’t expecting Ma’am, according to soldiers, an ork drove a trukk straight into the defensive line. Apparently it was a suicide attack. The trukk has caused tremendous damage to the line and we are struggling to repair it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.”

“I understand, I’ll send a few squads right away.”

“May the Emperor bless you.”

“You as well my friend,” Hannah switched channels on her comm. bead, “Squad two from platoon one, I would like for you to take a chimera and move immediately to the north-western front. Assist our Cadian comrades in any way possible.”

“Yes Comrade-Captain.”

The sun finally began to ascend from the horizon, revealing the darkness that had previously consumed the land.

But the green tide kept coming; they seemed that they have prolonged the attack for this long. Why stop now?

The fighting went on for another three hours, neither side reaching any foothold whatsoever. At this particular moment in time, the battle remained a stalemate.

Hannah entered a dugout bunker carved from the permafrost and frozen dirt. She poured herself some vodivilisk and looked at the map stretched across the table in the room. This small dugout recently completed a few days ago, now was the operations center for the 203rd Valhallans 6th Company.

Andre followed her in, and walked towards the table, “How are the Cadians?”

“They’re in terrible condition, one entire squad was lost in the explosion and three squads lost more than half of their men. Their line now has a huge gap caused by the crater of the explosion and if they can’t restore the defensive line soon, it opens a hole that’ll allow the orks right through. I’m keeping squad two there permanently until the Cadians receive sufficient reinforcements.”

“Captain, Hannah, remember. We aren’t receiving any reinforcements anymore.”

“Yes, sadly, I’m well aware, that’s why I’m sending squad one from P-one as well,” Hannah said with a heavy sigh. She stared at the map, “We’ll have to compensate for removing 1st and 2nd squad. I’m going to stretch 4th and 5th squad into the gap and give them two scouts for one and an extra autocannon for the other. It’ll be enough for now.”

Andre nodded slowly, “Any new information on that offensive in the West?”

“No, nothing new yet. As far as we officers know, that attack hasn’t started.”

“What about Landergrasse?” Andre asked nervously.

“It’s gotten worse. Those greenskins have started to heavily shell the city and now they’ve begun to attack Moskvin as well though not in as much force as Landergrasse. Thank the Emperor, since the only troops there are poorly equipped PDFs.”

“How did they hold then?” Andre asked, with a slightly impressed tone.

Hannah chuckled, and looked up from the table, “Well, according to intel, there’s an officer there showing quite some promise. He tricked the orks into running straight through the city’s main street where he lined up all of his troops and heavy weapons and annihilated the ork force.”

“Sounds like the strategy you used on Euthien against the tyranids right?”

“Yes, it does. Great minds think alike I assume.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colonel Sugechov stepped out onto a balcony that overlooked the defensive line. It was only a few stories off of the ground, but it provided a perfect vantage point for seeing his forces. He had been very proud of his regiment’s performance so far on the battlefield, but if the casualties continued to mount at the same rate, they wouldn’t last before the reinforcements were scheduled to arrive five weeks from now.

The offensive in the West had begun a week earlier, and they had run into more resistance than expected. But, the Lord-General wouldn’t let his forces in the East fall apart, so he would send them reinforcements if the offensive wasn’t successful in the estimated two month time period.

But of course, plans have their drawbacks, and so far the orks have thrown a lot more at them than they had originally found. Some of the tech they have has gone past what even the Commissariat had imagined.

Sugechov, though, promised himself that he wouldn’t die here. His younger brother was part of the 657th Valhallan fighting for New Mockba. So far, neither of them had died, and Sugechov wanted to keep it that way.

Sugechov sighed, I pray to you, my Emperor, that you will grant my brother and me a safe campaign. But if either of us lose our lives, I know that it is your will and your will be done.

After Sugechov had finished his quick prayer, he heard a knock on his door, his immediate subordinate, Talias Fusonik, peaked into his room, “Sir? There’s a message on the line from Colonel Harris. He wishes to speak with you.”

Talias was a bright, young woman. She provided Sugechov with a wonderful and, in his opinion, a rather beautiful right hand officer. He promoted her to the position from captain of 6th company after her outstanding performance in the defense of Port Wilkes on Antanaviano during the Sulis Campaign.

“Yes, of course,” Sugechov nodded and put on his Valhallan military visor cap and followed Talias into the command room, “Colonel Sugechov speaking.”

Sugechov could make out the Cadian officer through the small bits of static accompanying the message, “Ah, Sebastian, I would like to thank your captain for sending some forces to help my soldiers rebuild the line.”

“Excuse me?”

“Your 6th Company’s Captain sent a few squads over to help with my line. I greatly appreciate it.”

“Hold on David,” Sugechov looked at Talias, “Did we approve of that?”

“Yes sir, we informed you. Apparently you had forgotten.”

“Must’ve had a bit too much of that Vostroyan rhazvod,” He returned to the vox, “Ah, I see, you are welcome. Captain Scarbrough is quite a find you see. She has a very good background. But she is fairing very well, I’m quite proud of her progress.”

“I looked up her dossier, according to the records she was promoted from sergeant to captain, is that correct?”

“Yes, that is accurate. I did so after Talias became my subordinate. Captain Scarbrough performed admirably in the defense of Port Wilkes.”

“Tell her that Captain Johnson sends his gratitude, he was just released from the medicae after that incident with the trukk.”

Sugechov nodded, “I understand, I’ll tell her.”

“Sebastian, between the Colonels, what do you think are our chances of survival? I’ve been working out the math and if the orks keep hitting us like this, we won’t hold this part of the city for another week.”

“I know, David, it’s grim news, but we can’t lose this city. The entire battle group is counting in us. If we fail in holding the city, everyone will be massacred.”

“Reminds me of a story I had heard from the Vostroyan Colonel Kizov, before he died at Landergrasse. Except, we are in quite better conditions than what he told me about.”

“Emperor willing, we’ll hold. And that offensive in Mockba will be over soon.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sergeant Vladimir Talichnikov rubbed his hands together in an attempt to keep them warm. He watched the tree line carefully; any suspicious movements would be immediately reported back to command. I slight fear ran through his veins, Baneblades! And now suicide bomb trukks? What else can these greenskins think of!

He took a quick breath, moving his hands over his mouth, and looked up at the sky, he cursed the snow as became thicker and the winds began to howl. He took one last glance at the tree line before it was covered behind a wall of snow.

“Sergeant, have you seen any movement?” Asked his superior, Lilia Ivanov.

“No, ma’am, but the snow has gotten considerably thicker.”

“Right, keep your eyes peeled though.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Talichnikov responded, continuing to rub his hands together.

“Cold, Vladi?” asked Rina Lisikov, the special weapons officer of Talichnikov’s squad. She sat on the ground opposite him, her plasma gun resting in her lap.

“You bet,” He said as he turned to face her. Rina is one of the most beautiful Valhallan women he’d seen; short brown hair and dark indigo eyes. Her eyes were very mysterious; whenever you looked her in the eyes it seemed as if she could pierce your soul with her gaze.

Naturally, as a Valhallan man, he’d get her in bed and have her bear his child. Many have tried, but she was one heck of a firecracker. Vladimir had actually tried a few nights ago by getting her drunk on rhazvod, but it made her even more irate than before. If anyone was going to have her, she would have to agree to it first. Strangely enough, unlike most of her other female comrades, she retained her virginity like their Captain, Hannah Scarbrough.

Talichnikov had his suspicions though. She seemed rather attached to that new commissar, but that was just speculation of course.

Vladimir sat next to Rina, handing her his canteen, “Vodivilisk?”

Rina declined, “No thanks, I’d much rather be sober while I fight.”

“But there’s nothing to fight!” Vladimir said indignantly.

“Yeah there is,” she punched his arm, “You! I know you tried to get me that other night!”

“How did you know?!”

“Hah! You admitted it! I knew you tried!!” Rina laughed.

“Wait, you tricked me!”

Rina chuckled getting up and looking down the line, “You won’t get me Vladi! I’ll tell you that!”

Vivan Loskovich watched the two, “Hey, hey you two! Stop fooling around.”

Vivan was the squad’s sniper, and also acted as the ‘big sister’ to the other three women in the squad.

“You especially Vladi! It’s like you can’t get enough of your share of women.”

He simply shrugged, “What else can a man do?”

“Kill the enemy,” Rina retorted.

“Are you saying that I haven’t killed a single ork?”

“Yes, I am, I saved you in that last attack, if it weren’t for my plasma gun, you’d be dead right now.”

Vladimir smiled, “True, very true.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sergeant Mockov sat against the snowy wall of the defensive line, watching Private Gregory ‘Gregs’ Ferasen who kept a steady hand on his Valhallan MK. V rocket launcher.

Ever since Gregs’s run-in with that ork Leman Russ, he was ever cautious with his launcher. In the same battle alone, he destroyed two trukks and another Russ. Mockov had to say that the boy had evolved from the skittish ‘freshmen’ he had come in as, “Gregs, you see anything?”

“No, not yet at least, it seems like the orks are regrouping for another attack. It’s very quiet.”

Mockov could sense his slight uneasiness, “Anything on your mind, boy?”

Ferasen slightly nodded, “I miss my family back home.”

“Yeah, you’ll get used to it. I was like that when I first joined the Guard.”

“And I hope she’s safe.”

“Who may I ask?”

“This girl, Deriah Visikov, she’s part of the 197th Vostroyan. They were sent to New Mockba for the offensive. I met her on the cruiser on the way here.”

“You like her, Ferasen?”

“Yes, I do. I just hope she’s ok.”

“Just look at like this, Gregs, she could’ve been sent to Landergrasse. She’d be dead by now if she was there. Trust me.”

Gregs silently laughed and took a seat next to his superior, “How long have you been in the Guard, sir?”

Villisan laughed, “Me? I’ve been part of this regiment for seven years and don’t regret a single minute of it.”

“Do you miss home?”

“Of course, I don’t know a single soul who doesn’t miss home. I named my las-rifle after my daughter, Kilia. It reminds me of why I’m fighting, what I’m fighting for.”

Gregory nodded silently.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hannah stared through her magnoculars, “Hmm, oddly there isn’t any movement in the trees. It’s like the orks are gone.”

“It may seem that way, captain, but never assume anything,” the Commissar said, “Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.”

Hannah didn’t let her gaze be diverted a centimeter. She simply nodded and continued to watch the trees.

Andre watched the tree line as well, “It’s nice to have a break though, you have to admit that.”

Hannah looked at him, “Yeah, I’ll admit that.” She removed her plasma pistol from its holster and examined it, checking for any defects on the weapon. Afterward, she unsheathed her power sword and checked its wires, power cell, and rune, “This sword has saved my life countless times, Andre, I’m glad you gave it to me.”

Andre solemnly nodded, “That sword was crafted specifically to my standards. It better be a good sword!”

Hannah smiled, “It is, don’t worry about that!”

They shared a quick smile.

“It still bothers me that the orks are still eerily quiet.”

“Me too, Captain. Me too.”

Hannah turned her eyes back toward the tree line, What in the Emperor’s Name are they doing? What can they possibly be waiting for?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lilia was standing on the hill overlooking the trees, with her scope magnified at its highest; she stared at the wooden fortress. Not a single thing moved. The only assumption she could make is that the greenskins had retreated deeper into the woods to regroup and rearm.

The size of this ork Waaagh! was startling. It wasn’t Lilia’s first encounter with orks, but the force she fought was just a rabble compared to this. There had to a Warboss amongst those orken ranks. The attacks were too coordinated and too large to be the work of some regular nob.

One thing was certain. Hannah, as well as herself knew this; that if the orks continued their steady assaults, the northeastern part of Tsorograd would be lost.

The fact left a feeling of uneasiness in her mind.

Lilia looked through her rifle scope again, but there was no movement. The trees were still, absent of any suspicious activities. She sat down, hugging her rifle tightly.

She missed home...

Taiga reminded her so much of Valhalla, and Tsorograd reminded her if her own home city: Dovesgrad. Lilia wondered how her mother was, how she was fairing since both her husband AND daughter were drafted into the Guard.

Lilia never met her father. He was drafted a few days before she was born, so she grew up without a father figure. But she dearly loved her mother. There hasn’t been a day that has gone by in which Lilia hadn’t thought of her mother and her mother’s health and safety.

Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted when special weapons trooper Kilov Novisik approached her, “Ma’am, what are you doing here? This is no place for an officer of you ranking!”

Lilia got up and smiled, “I’m fine right here, thanks for the concern though, Kilov.”

Kilov gave her a quick salute, “Even so, commander.”

Lilia looked at the rugged man, his meltagun slung around his back.

She replayed a memory from the battle on Euthien against the tyranids. Kilov covered his squad as they retreated into the buildings, his meltagun turning every foe that came at him into nothing. The man was one that put his squad before others, and that earned him the spot as HQ special arms.

Lilia smiled at him, “Come, its best that we reported to Hannah and Andre.”