Status: just a one shot!

Will You Stay and Watch The Sunrise With Me?

Happy Birthday Dee!

December 14, 2007

I smiled as I made my way through the crowded airport and off to my terminal. I was finally on my way back home to visit my family in Huntington Beach, California, and I was practically jumping in my seat when they started boarding. It had been at least two years since I'd seen them, and of course, my beachhouse.
I pulled out my ipod and began blasting some random songs to drown out the array of crying babies and old people complaining. I must have gotten a little into it, because I was quickly brought back to reality by someone shaking my shoulder. I rolled my eyes and pressed pause, pulling out my earbud and turning around in my seat.
"What." I spat, looking the kid up and down. He looked about my age; he had short blonde hair and a hurley sweatshirt on, a guitar case on his back.
"Sorry to bother you, but there aren't anymore seats on the plane. Do you think I could have that seat next to you?"
That's why you don't get C boarding, I thought to myself. I looked him over once more and brushed my hair out of my face. He looked at me for a minute, obviously a little nervous I might say no.
"Please," he piped up, hitching his guitar case's strap a little higher on his shoulder.
I let out a sigh and scooted over to the window seat. "Alright, fine." I responded, "but only because you said please."
He nodded graciously and placed his guitar in the overhead bin, pulling out an iphone and putting on his seatbelt.
"I'm Zack." he smiled, offering his hand.
"Dania." I replied, shaking hands and turning back to the window seat.
------------------------------------------------------
I woke up about an hour later, rubbing my eyes and peeking out the window.
"Goodmorning, sleepyhead." a voice chuckled lightly.
I looked up to see Zack smiling down at me. That's when I realized I fell asleep on his shoulder.
"Oh god I am so sorry, I must have fallen asleep, you know, flights always give me jetlag, I guess I must ha-" my rambling was quickly brought to a stop by Zack's hand covering my mouth.
"You talk too much." he said with a bemused expression. I could practically feel my cheeks turn red as he took his hand away from my mouth.
"Sorry." I replied sheepishly, looking down at my now oh-so-interesting shoes.
He waved it off with a simple, 'it's fine.'

Zack and I spent the last 3 hours of the flight talking nonstop about our families, Huntington Beach, and even our dogs. I was actually a little sad when the plane landed, because odds are I wasn't going to see him again.
"Well it was nice meeting you, Dania." Zack smiled as he pulled his guitar case down from the overhead. I almost melted when I saw his muscles.
"You can call me Dee," I smiled, "only my friends can call me that."
"Well I'm flattered, Dee." he replied cheeckily, handing me down my bag as well.
We exited the plane together and walked to baggage, neither of us saying anything.
I waited patiently as the bags began circling, quickly grabbing mine as it came around.
"I guess this is goodbye," Zack smiled awkwardly, once again offering his hand.
"I guess so," I sighed as we shook hands and hugged.
We finished our goodbyes and went our seperate ways. I spent the night with the family I had missed so much over the past two years, yet all I could think about was that boy I had met on my flight. It made me pretty sad to know I wouldn't see him again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I rummaged through my drawers early sunday morning, muttering a little, 'aha!' when I found my green bikini in my suitcase. I quickly threw a sundress on over it and grabbed my sunglasses, heading out the door of the cottage so I could get to the beach. Today I was finally going to learn how to surf.
I parked my car at Huntington Beach Boardwalk and walked up to the building on the beach that read, 'private surf lessons.'
I tapped my fingers idly on the counter, waiting for the employee to come and rent me my wetsuit and surfboard.
"shit," I muttered to myself as my car keys fell to the floor. I bent down and rummaged around to collect them, just as an employee came behind the counter.
"Welcome to your private surf lesson, are you here to rent a board?" I gasped and immediately shot up when I heard the familiar voice.
"Zack!?" I asked disbelievingly.
"Um, yes? Do I know you?" he asked shyly.
I quickly pulled off my sunhat and glasses, and it immediately clicked.
"No way," he laughed lightly as he handed me my board, "is that fate or what?"
"It's pretty crazy." I agreed, accepting the surf board and putting my glasses back on.
"Well, let's get started before the surf gets too rough for you." he suggested, taking my hand and leading me down to the shore.
-------------------------------------------
"Zack!" I panicked as we paddled further and further out to sea, "I really don't like the idea of how big these waves are!"
He quickly paddled over to me and patted my hand. "Just relax, the waves won't hurt you unless you freak. The second you lose control in surfing, you're in big trouble."
"Gee, thanks for the pep talk," I replied sarcastically.
"Just trust me, Dee." He answered with a smile that instantly made me believe every word he had just said.
I sighed and looked over to him as he continued with the lesson.
"Do you see that wave way back there?" he questioned, pointing towards the horizon. I nodded.
"We're gonna go for that one. Now turn your board around and get ready to paddle." he instructed. I did as he said and waited for about 30 seconds. I looked down to the water and noticed a few colorful fish swimming by.
"Okay, Dee, I'm going to count to three, and when I do, I want you to paddle as fast as you can and stand up on the board."
I gulped and responded with a nervous, 'ok.'
"Alright, ready? One, two, THREE."
Without hesitation I began to paddle as fast as I possibly could. I felt the wave come and lift me and my board up. I rememebred what Zack had told me about not panicking and let my adrenaline take over, standing up and balancing myself as the wave propelled me forward, before I knew what had happened, I was thrown off the board and plunged into the cold ocean.
I gasped for air as I flailed my arms around under the water, realizing I could possibly be drowning. I felt trapped as I began to lose my consciousness, when suddenly a pair of arms wrapped around my torso and lifted me to the surface.
I let out an exasperated gasp as the crisp ocean air sharply filled my lungs.
"Oh my god, Dee, I am so sorry! That wave was way too big to be your first wave, this is all my fault-you could have drowned!"
I smiled as Zack continued to hold me above the water.
"Why are you smiling?" he questioned, raising an eyebrow.
"Because I surfed." I replied happily.
"Only you, Dee." he chuckled.
We stared at each other for a few seconds, when Zack's lips gently pressed against mine.
"You're a great surfer." he grinned as he leaned his forehead against mine.
"And you're a great kisser." I responded playfully as I initiated another kiss, this one slightly more aggressive. Zack lifted me higher as I tangled my fingers in his hair.
"Wow," he breathed as we slowly pulled apart.
I was speechless.
"I've never been this rash about anything, Dee." he chuckled, lacing our hands together.
"But I'm sure about this. Dania, will you be my girlfriend?"
I simply kissed him once more, this one on the cheek.
"I'll take that a yes." he grinned.
"Consider it a hell yes." I beamed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is soo soo soooooo late Dee, but happy BELATED birthday!
Love Evie