Dearly Beloved

running to the rescue

I closed my eyes and gripped the steering wheel. I felt us flying for what seemed like forever.

Suddenly, I felt the car jerk and slam; I heard the sound of the cement wall collapsing, sparks flying, glass shattering, metal crunching. I could feel the force trying pulling me out of my seat. The car landed hard and heavy and nearly flipping, and I was smashed against my door as we skid across the tiled floor. I heard the deafening noise echo through the giant Publix. The horrid screeching rang through my ears and throbbed my head. The car continued sliding side ways down an aisle, uncontrollably swaying back forth, spilling the shelves contents all of the floor, leaving a trail of wreckage. Slowly, the car skid to a halt at the end of the aisle. The car crashed upright. With my hands still braced on the wheel, I slowly opened my eyes wide. Before me, the entire windshield was gone, shattered away at impact. Beyond, I saw the check out lines and cash registers. A few sparks fell above my head. I heard the buzzing of dead lights. At first, I couldn't say anything. I could feel my heart throbbing in my throat in controllably. My hands were gripping the wheel so tightly it hurt my hands. I stared straight ahead, unfocused. The ringing in my ears was deafened. I was twitching. I wasn't breathing. I was out in that stage for what seemed like an eternity, before Tre snapped me out of it. He turned to me.
"Mike," he whispered. I didn't hear him.
"Mike...Mike! Say something! Breathe!" he shook me by the shoulders. I suddenly gasped for air and turned to him bewildered. I just stared at him straight in the eye and he stared back.
"We... should so totally fucking do that again!" I yelled and grabbing him by his shoulders.
"What in the fucking hell...?" Billie staggered up and looked at us. He suddenly backed away a bit.
"Are you two...okay?" he asked slowly as we both stared at him with an oh-my-fucking-god-that-was-the-most-fucking-amazing-fucking-thing-in-the-whole-fucking-world-and-you-fucking-missed-it-fucker-ha-ha! grinning look on our faces. We were speechless and looked like if we were about to burst into laughter and tears at the same time. But sadly, the moment quickly vanished. The sound of sirens in the distance snapped us back to reality.
"SHIT!" Tre and I screamed. He scrambled into our seats.
"What? Wait...what's going on?!" Before Billie could say anymore, I hit the gas petal and remarkably, the car still worked. We speed off and turned disappearing into another aisle. My heart was racing and Billie was screaming. Casually, Tre turned on the radio and happened to catch Bank Robber Man by Lenny Kravitz. Since it had a killer drumbeat, Tre cranked it up as I speed down aisles trying to escape the cops. Tre went banging his head and playing air drums in the passenger seat. Billie was senselessly screaming in the backseat, I didn't know what was up with him. Pretty soon we we're doing laps around the Publix, creating more damage than the last lap. The cops followed us around and around. Boy, were they stupid or what. Tre and I went singing along to the song.

Just tell me what's going on?
Can you tell me what I did wrong?
Does busting me make you feel strong?
Make you feel strong....

Afterward came a killer guitar solo. Tre and I were having the time of our lives, while Billie was just about to kill us both. We bust right through the Publix sliding doors and into the street. It was then I recognized where we were.
"Tre! Were home!"
"Are you fucking serious? We have to find Adie!" he yelled over the music.
"I know...let's go to Billie's place!"
"Right!"
We speed off into the night to Billie's place. I wasn't sure whether the cops were on our trail or not, but they seemed to have lost us.