Light Me On Fire

It's A Beautiful Day;

I sat on the edge of the pool and placed my feet and calves in the cool water. I reached into the pocket of my dark brown messenger bag and pulled out my pack of American Spirit cigarettes. I heard and felt a presence sit beside me and I looked over my left shoulder.

"JohnOhhh," I smiled.

"Sophie," he mocked.

I shook my head whilst I let out a laugh and put the cigarette to my lips before lighting it. I inhaled and felt the smoke hit the back of my throat, before exhaling.

"Smoking kills, Soph."

I rolled my eyes. "No kidding?"

He smirked and nudged me in the side with his elbow. We sat there in silence for a few minutes; me smoking, and John just staring into the water of the pool. Taking the last drag of the stick, I flicked it into the grass of John's backyard.

He sighed, "Was that really necessary?"

"It was actually," I laughed.

This time it was he who shook his head and chuckled. I laid my head on his shoulder, which was slightly difficult, being that John was so much taller than I was, even when sitting. He rested his head atop mines and I swayed my legs in the water.

"So, what happened this time?"

"Why do you assume something happened?"

"Because I know you and I know Elle. Now spill it."

He sighed and I felt his breath blow my hair slightly out of place. "We went to the mall and things were fine for awhile . . ."

"Uh huh. Continue."

He let out a light laugh. "And then, you know, a few girls came up and started talking to me and Elle just blew it out of proportion."

I sighed and closed my eyes. Elle was my best friend, but there were times when she could be so over-dramatic.

"What exactly did she blow out of proportion?"

He shrugged. "She thinks I'm going to cheat on her. You know . . . the usual."

I lifted my head from his shoulder, forgetting that his head was on top of mine, and bumped my scalp on his jaw.

"Fuck me," I cursed.

John laughed and rubbed his jaw, "It's your fault."

I stuck my tongue out at him and rubbed the spot that was now sore. "Anyways. I'll talk to Elle tonight when I get home."

He smiled and his green eyes lit up, "Thank you, Sophie."

"You're welcome, Johnny."

He rolled his eyes and stood up and held his hands out. I placed mines in them and he pulled me up. The bottom half of my legs were soaked and I looked up at John with a pleading smile.

"Get me a towel?"

"You could say please." He crossed his arms over his chest.

"Please?" I pouted.

He laughed and nodded his head, "Be right back."

I rocked back and forth on my heels, anxiously waiting for John to return. The sun was beginning to set in the sky and I knew that if I didn't get home soon, my parents would throw a fit.

"Here!" John yelled and threw the towel in my face.

"Fucker," I muttered and bent down to dry my legs and feet.

"Yeah, yeah. Hurry and get off my property, Ettley."

I stood up and threw the towel back in John's face. "I wouldn't be so cocky, O'Callaghan. You still need me to talk to your girlfriend. Remember that."

"Right. When are you going to call her?"

"I don't know. Later."

"Like how much later?"

I picked up my bag and swung the strap around my shoulder, before slipping my feet in my all black Vans.

"I don't know, John. Later, okay?" I told him, annoyance evident in my tone.

He nodded his head and lead me to the front of his house. He pulled me into a hug and I wrapped my arms around his skinny torso.

"I'm sorry."

"For?" I asked.

"Annoying you with me and Elle's problems."

I laughed and pulled away from him. "I don't mind helping my best friends out." I ruffled his hair and he pouted.

"Thanks," he mumbled.

"Anytime, dear." I began to walk to my car, when John called my name. I spun around. "What?"

"You're going to Garrett's party tomorrow, right?"

I nodded my head. "I was planning on it."

"Always such the smart ass, Sophia."

I laughed, "You love me for it. I'll see ya in school tomorrow, John."

"Bye, Soph!" He threw a wave my way and I returned it, before backing out of his driveway.

As I drove down the street, I tried to think of what I could say to Elle. I had, had this conversation with her plenty of times before and so nothing I told her tonight would be new. I sighed heavily and turned the volume of the radio up. Sigur Rós came pouring through my speakers and I smiled, knowing John had been the one to sneak the CD in my car. I'd thank him later.
♠ ♠ ♠
New idea that popped into my mind.
Slow start - I know. I'm sorry.
Action will take place in the next update.