Light Me On Fire

Yesterday Was A Terrible Day;

"Watch your head," I told John while helping him get out of my car.

He groaned as he swayed a bit on his feet. I wrapped his arm around my shoulders and we both stumbled to my door. I searched for my house key on my key chain and once I found it, I opened the door.

"Stand here."

He laughed. "I don't think you had to tell me that."

I rolled my eyes. "With you, I never know."

He smirked as I shut the door. My living room was pitch black and I could only see John because of his white v-neck.

"Where are your parents?" he whispered.

"I don't know. Probably sleeping."

"Guess again." The lamp in the living room flickered on and I winced at the light.

"Dad, what're you doing up?" I asked him.

"Waiting for my daughter to get home, of course."

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "My curfew's at one. It's barely," I looked down at my phone. "12."

He shrugged. "I couldn't sleep with your mother's snoring."

I smiled and John held his head in his hands.

"Sit down. I'll get you some water."

He nodded his head and took a seat on the couch, across from my dad. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, before returning to the living room. I held the bottle out in front of him.

"Thanks, Soph."

"No problem." I took a seat beside him and my dad stared at us. "What?"

"Have a good time at the party?"

"Not really."

"Why's that?" he asked me whilst crossing his arms over his chest.

"Ask John here."

My dad's eyes looked to John. "Why didn't my daughter have a good time?"

He let out a small laugh. "Ellie and I got in a fight, dad. It's no big deal. It'll blow over tomorrow morning."

I listened as my dad gave him a speech on women. Honestly, this was nothing out of the ordinary. John and I had been friends for so long, that my parents were like his mom and dad, as well. They trusted us and we had never done anything to betray them. My parents were older than most of my friend's parents; my dad being 52 and my mom being 50. I had never found it strange, although, most kids did. My parents were still big on re-living their old college days, the 70's, and on 'going green.'

"Sophia, did you listen to what I told John?"

"Yes."

He cackled. "Your generation lives in a world of trouble. See, back when your mother and I were young, things were so simple. You didn't have to worry about going out at night or about break-ins and killings." He let out a sigh. "Time sure does fly by."

I nodded my head. "And right now, it's time for me to sleep."

He gave me a smile. "I can take a hint." He stood up and adjusted the strap on his robe. "I'll see you two in the morning. Good night, John." He patted his head and reached to give me a hug and a kiss on the forehead. "Good night, baby."

"Night dad," John and I told him.

After he disappeared around the corner, I threw one of the pillows on the couch at John's head.

"What the hell, Sophia?"

I smiled. "That's for making me listen to that awful speech."

He laughed. "Yeah, like you actually listened to it."

I shrugged. "I'm tired. I'm gunna head to bed." I stood up and stretched my arms towards the ceiling.

"Me too." He stood up and we walked upstairs to my room.

I grabbed a pair of John's basketball shorts and an old plain black tee before turning around and seeing John digging through a drawer in my dresser.

"Where's my -" he looked up at me. "Shorts."

I laughed. "There's more in there. Keep digging, loser." I walked into my bathroom and changed quickly, before pulling my hair into a sloppy bun. When I came out, I noticed John was still rummaging through the drawer. I sighed and walked over to help him. Immediately, I found a pair of shorts and a tee shirt. I pushed it into his chest. "Here."

"You're a lifesaver." He smiled and gave me a kiss on the cheek before going into my bathroom.

I yawned and crawled into my bed, and almost at once, I felt my body relax into the mattress. It was an amazing feeling. John came out from the bathroom and shut off the light. I had two twin sized beds in my room, that were separated by a nightstand. John laid down and he turned onto his side, so he was facing me. I did the same.

"Soph?"

"What?"

"Be honest with me: how do you feel about me and Elle?"

I sighed. "John, it's late and I don't really feel like talking about Elle, right now."

"I know, but I just want your opinion. You've always been honest with me and I need someone to tell me the truth. Don't sugarcoat it." His green orbs locked with my own eyes.

"Honestly, John, I don't think you two are going to last much longer. I mean, we're graduating soon and you and the guys will be touring. I know for a fact that they won't stand for taking Elle on the road and that's just going to create a whole new problem between you two. I love Ellie, even as mad as I am with her right now, but she needs to figure herself out. She's stuck in her insecurities and she's pushing them on you. You don't deserve that."

He stared at me for a moment before nodding his head. "I was thinking the same thing."

I closed my eyes and nuzzled into my pillow. "Do what you think is best, John. No one can tell you how to feel or what to do. I mean, not that that's ever stopped you before."

He let out a small laugh. "True." It was silent for a moment. "Soph?"

I groaned. "What?"

"Just wanted to say good night and sweet dreams."

I let out a tired laugh. "Good night, JohnO. Sweet dreams."

_______________________________________________________

The buzzing of my phone against my nightstand was keeping me from sleeping. I buried my face into my pillow, hoping it would stop, but the sound was persistent. Giving in, I growled and grabbed the plastic object angrily.

"Hello?" My voice sounded disgusting, still being laced with sleep.

"Sophia! Finally!"

I fell back onto my pillow and yawned. "What do you want, Elle?"

"To apologize for the way I acted last night towards you and John. I'm really sorry, Sophia. I was just jealous and angry and I took it out on you."

"Mhm," I moaned, still half asleep.

"Sophie, please talk to me."

"I would, but you just woke me up. I don't really feel like saying much, right now."

"Oh. Well . . . do you know where John is? I've been trying to call him all morning, but he's not answering his phone."

I rolled onto my side and saw that John was still sleeping, his mouth slightly agape. I rolled my eyes as I realized he was slobbering on my pillow.

"Yeah, he's here. Hold on." I stood up and threw my pillow on his face. "John! John!"

"What?" he groaned.

"Your girlfriend's on the phone," I told him and held the phone out to him.

He rolled his eyes and turned onto his other side. "I'll call her later."

"John, if you don't get your ass on the phone right now, so help me-"

He snatched the phone from my hand and gave me a fake smile. I shrugged and threw myself back onto my bed. However, the sweet aroma of pancakes filled my nostrils and I moaned in pleasure. My mouth was just watering at the image of my mother's cooking.

"Yeah, Elle, I know you're sorry; you always are. You didn't just embarrass me, you embarrassed Sophia last night, too. Well, she may have forgiven you but I'm not sure I do just yet, Elle. Because we argue about this every other fucking day and it's getting real old, real fast."

Not wanting to listen to them argue, I walked out of my room and went downstairs into the kitchen. My mother was hovering over the stove and my father was sitting at the table, drinking coffee and staring out into our backyard.

"Morning mom, dad."

My mom turned and smiled at me. "Morning, honey."

My dad raised his coffee cup to me. "Morning, baby."

I took a seat at the table and brought my knees up to my chest.

"Tired?" my dad asked me.

I nodded my head. "Elle called and woke me up. She wanted to talk to John."

He sighed. "That girl is something else."

I shrugged. "She's just Elle, dad."

"Right. Well, the sun's out and the day's beautiful. Maybe we can do some gardening?"

I groaned. "Dad, please."

He laughed. "What? When you were younger, you used to love to me help me out there."

"Uh, newsflash, I was like five. I didn't know any better."

He smiled. "Come on, Sophie. You'll be graduating and going off to college soon and then you won't be my little girl."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Can I eat first?"

"Of course." He smiled in triumph and I eyed the pancake my mom was flipping.

"Morning mom, dad, Sophie," John said as he entered the kitchen and took a seat next to me.

"Morning, John," we all said.

"Figure things out with that girl?" my dad asked him.

John rested his elbows on the table and put his head in his hands. "Not really. I was taking your advice, though."

"How so?" My dad eyed him carefully.

"What you said about enjoying being young and living. I can't really do much living with Elle behind my back every minute."

I laughed. "More like up your ass."

"Sophia Lyric, watch your mouth," my mom scolded me.

"I'm sorry."

My dad laughed and laid his hand on John's shoulder. "You'll figure things out, my boy. Time will bring you the answers."

"You sound like a fortune cookie, David," my mom laughed as John and I joined her.

"Laugh now, but my words are true."

"I'm sure they are, dad." John smiled at him.

"Now, who wants what?" my mom turned and asked us.

Needless to say, it didn't take long for the food to be devoured.

______________________________________________________

"So, the guys were talking about meeting up at Pat's for a barbecue and some cornhole. You in?" John asked me.

"That depends."

"On?"

"If you and Elle plan on getting in another fight."

He rolled his eyes. "We never plan on getting in a fight, Soph. It just happens."

"Well . . . is she going?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I didn't tell her, so probably not. Unless, you invite her."

"Eh, I guess I'll spare everyone some drama and not tell her about it."

He smiled. "Sounds good to me."

I laughed. "Call me later and let me know what time."

He nodded his head and pulled me into a hug, just as Garrett's disastrous yellow car pulled into my driveway.

"Oh, God, please go before anyone sees that thing in my yard."

He laughed. "Alright, punk. I'll see you later."

"Later, Johnny."

He gave me a wink before walking away. I turned around and went back into my house.

"Ready to get your green thumb on?" My dad asked me.

I couldn't help but to laugh. "Only if you promise to never use that phrase again."

He smiled. "I promise. Now, go get ready."

I groaned as I walked upstairs. Gardening in the scorching heat was the least attractive activity in my mind, but I had promised my dad I'd help him and so, I would just have to push myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Filler. I apologize. Sort of helps you get a sense of Sophia's home life, though.
Next chapter at Pat's will be more exciting.
Thank you guys for the amazing feedback!
I love you allll! (: