We Used to Be Friends

It feels right, what's to complain about?

Best Friends, like brothers in arms.

Chris & Sam went together like salt & pepper, you couldn't separate them even if you wanted. Best friends since primary school and just about to enter year nine, they were the class clowns, always cracking pranks and jokes. Any stranger would think they were brothers, they sure acted like it. Always at one anothers' house doing something annoying or destructive.

One particular Saturday afternoon is were we begin our story, last weekend of the summer holidays and it was hot, scorching hot. One could almost see the heat waves seep from the concrete footpaths. Sam was sensible enough to wear shoes as he walked the three houses down to Chris's shabby, down town house, the bright green paint peeling off the wood in the heat.

Sam's blue thongs went slap on the veranda as he trotted towards the front door, knocked three times as always. He kicked his shoes off while he waited for the door to open. He didn't have to wait long, Chris pretty much threw the door open, kicking the screen door and jumping on top of his best friend.

Sam stumbled under the sudden weight. "Hello to you to, Chris" He laughed, regaining composure. "Yo, Bitch." Chris replied, grabbing Sam's arm and pulling him over the threshold into the old house.

The two boys walked through the colourful painted walls towards Chris's bedroom. It was like watching a tape on loop for the hundredth time, it never changed. Sam threw his bag to the floor and slumped on top of the mess of blankets Chris called a bed, trying to ignore the strange scent.

"Bring ya boardies?" The dark haired boy asked his guest. "Yes, dickface. You think I'd really turn down a swim in this heat?" Chris put on a look of mock-thought, "Yes."

Sam rolled his chestnut eyes and flopped back onto the mattress, letting his eyelids slowly slip shut. "Chris... I know I'm a sexy mofo but please refrain from staring."

Chris snapped his own eyes up, he'd been caught red handed. "I w-wasn't!" Sam opened an eye and grinned, "Dude, I'm fuckin' with ya, relax." Chris's shoulders released the unknown tension and he sighed. Idiot, idiot, idiot.

A pair of footsteps creaked the floorboards as a large man appeared in the doorway, a VB can in his hand. "Chris, Me and ya' mother are off. Don't burn the house down and Sam... don't put the cat in the microwave again, please?"

"It was one time!" Sam retorted, a smirk just fighting to show.

"Bye Dad, have fun... I guess" Chris said returning his Father's kind smile. Before long the sound of the family 4X4 Drive was long gone in the distance and the boys were left alone. Chris's mind was going off the charts. He was alone with his best friend. He didn't know why he had this sudden lust for the closest thing to brother he had but he wasn't complaining either.

"So" The childish glee-filled voice of Sam brought Chris back from La-La land, "Who wants to go swimmin'?"