Status: Finally updated. I'm sorry.

Chance

Promises

"Are you sure it's actually somewhat safe for me to come out in public? I mean, from what you're telling me, this guy won't rest until he finds me. Is he like a creeper. . . or what?" Raynne sighed, brushing a hand through her hair and freeing any tangles that had made themselves present during the walk to the small library.

All week, Raynne has kept herself under the radar. Her entire day consisted of random acts throughout her household. It didn't take her parents long to notice her presence as they continued to unpack boxes daily. Even though she stayed clear of her parents, it was safe to assume that could easily make out the soft pattering of her footsteps from the seconds floor. Even when it came time to get groceries and her parents gave her the task, Raynne refused to leave the house.

Not only was it getting on their nerves, it was getting on her own. Sure, she wasn't too fond of the scalding temperatures that somehow managed to remain steady throughout the day. However, not seeing the sun-not counting the view through the window- was becoming a bother and she missed the steady breeze that would sometimes drift past and allow her a brief sensation. Perhaps the scalding temperatures weren't exactly scalding, but coming from Wisconsin did have it's consequences when drifting into a state that had a tendency to have higher temperature rates.

So, within a few days Raynne had gotten so sick of being cooped up that she braved the outside world and left her household. Considering the fact that she knew no one else, she made a beeline straight towards that small not-so-well-known library in search for Kayla. It was mainly a desperate attempt to try and live her life by probing for news on Zacky. If there was no sign of the boy, she'd be able to wander the streets without concern. However, if he still stopped by every now and then, she'd be forced to remain on the look-out.

Since she arrived at the library, Kayla has been changing her opinion on the matter left and right. There were times where Raynne wasn't even certain that she was on her side. Kayla was either saying that she was over-reacting and there was nothing too bad about the guy, or she was stating that she had every right to be creeped out.

As much as Raynne wanted to smack the girl upside the head, she had no right to do so. She agreed with mainly everything. There wasn't much of a reason for her to avoiding Zacky, at least not to this degree. This has come to mind plenty of times over the course of the week ever since he came in the library in search for her. The only thing that truly bothered her was the fact that he wanted to find her. No one has bothered to do so in the past. She was pretty sure that if she had been placed in his shoes, she would have gone home in confusion and never give it a second thought.

There was certainly something wrong with not only him, but herself, as well. With that thought, Raynne buried her face within her hands and shook it slightly in anger.

"Geez, I haven't even replied yet and you're angry. Lighten up, girl," said Kayla with a quick roll of the eyes. Her hands pried away Raynne's and clamped them down on the counter-top by the wrists. "Look, I know you're confused and you just want things to be simple. You need to face it-things will never be simple. Even after death. You either give him a fucking chance, or tell him to leave you alone. I will not do it for you anymore. If he comes sauntering in one more damn time, I will tell him your exact location," she finished with scoff and released Raynne's wrists.

Even though Raynne was fairly certain that Kayla knew nothing of her whereabouts, she didn't doubt her abilities. After all, it shouldn't be that hard to find out about the newcomers. It doesn't matter about the size of the city, word can spread if you talk to the correct people. She was even pretty sure that she could find out a bit about Zacky if she truly wanted to. "Gee, thanks Kayla. If I get bruises, I know who to blame," she said, changing the subject slightly since she didn't want to think about Zacky. Raynne even added some wrist-rubbing as an added effect.

"Really, hun. Don't make this a bigger issue-actually, don't make this an issue at all. It really isn't," Kayla said and spun around in her seat, turning around to find something else to do than stare at Raynne's ever increasing irritation.

"But, Kayla, he-"

"Figure this out on your own, Raynne. You've both got issues. Solve them. Set up a tea party or something. Maybe then we can have a decent conversation for once that doesn't involve some prick. 'Kay?" Kayla spat out, her anger threaded into each escaping word.

Raynne sulked and shrunk down into her seat. She knew the Kayla had an issue with her anger, but it hadn't really been directed towards her until now. Their conversation weren't always about Zacky. . .if they had been why would they know so much about each other? The quiet and standoffish female she thought Kayla was at first was no where near close to what she was normally like. That was enough to know, right? Then again, he always seemed to pop up, at least, he would pop up in her mind. She knew that Kayla was right, but she didn't want to admit it.

It was Raynne's turn to glance away from Kayla's onlooking gaze, but then she noticed the swift movements from the corner of her eye. Kayla had ducked behind the counter and was flipping through countless papers. It peeked her interest, but it wasn't in her nature to be a nosy being, so she refrained.

Moments later, Kayla resurfaced from behind the counter, a single sheet of paper in hand. Her hands were shaking, but subtly, but her eyes were determined. She made for another blank sheet of paper -one that people tend to grab before searching for a book, that way they can remember the call number- and a pencil.

"I could get in trouble for this, so don't tell a soul and I won't hesitate to follow through with that threat from earlier," she said without a glance upward at Raynne. She was scribbling down bits and pieces of information on the piece of paper, her glance continuously shifting from side to side.

Raynne went to grab the sheet of paper once she stopped writing, however Kayla ripped it away from her grasp. She took a step back and stared at Raynne with a smirk.

"Okay, now, if you promise to do as the sheet says, I'll buy you coffee. Sounds good? For a week," she added at the end as a second thought occurred to her.

Raynne nodded slowly and then made another move to grab the piece of paper, but instead of getting near Kayla, she rammed into the counter-top and hurt her hip. She scowled slightly and kneaded away at her newly-sensitive hip.

"Nuh-uh, I want you to promise before I give you the sheet. Otherwise. . ." she trailed off, her words becoming incoherent.

"Otherwise what, Kayla!" Raynne mused, concern easily slipping out with her words. She had meant to be a tad bit sarcastic, however, it didn't turn out exactly like she planned.

Kayla waved the piece of paper once more with a grin, "Just promise and you'll get it."

After a small growl deep inside her throat, Raynne agreed and promised to do what the sheet said, without much thought. Kayla gave her the piece of paper and then proceeded to shove Raynne out of the library without giving Raynne any time to glance at the paper. Once she was out the door, Kayla closed the door, locked it and waved through the glass.

Raynne was simply confused, her eyes narrowing in on her only friend. Kayla only pointed at the paper, before turning away.

On the paper, Raynne could barely make out any words because of Kayla's sloppy scrawled message. Though, she eventually read the sheet with a glare present on her face. All it said was, 'Call him, or go to his house. Do something. You promised. Then, below that was Zacky's number and address.

Raynne scowled and crumpled up the sheet of paper, though much to her surprise, she didn't find herself throwing it away. A promise is a promise, and she prided herself and making sure that she abided every single one of those promises. Oh, how she would have loved to kick either herself or Kayla.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, after practically 3 months, I've returned. I could give you a million and one excuses as to why I didn't update, but I couldn't do that to you all. It's not in my nature. I full heartily apologize for my great lateness and for this rather dull update.
Though, I must thank my lovely 'Anon' from formspring that, in a way, brought me to my sense and pushed me to write.
This update, in the end, had a few different versions. This one I felt had the most relevance.

If you'd like to yell at me via comment, by my guest. I deserve it.