Status: Finished

Maybe I'm Your Mr.Right

Maybe I'm A Shot In The Dark

Dakota stared at herself in the mirror, her eyes set on the wedding dress she was wearing. Sure she'd tried it on before, but things never felt quite as final as they did now. Today, her lying was finally going to catch up with her. Today she had two choices, either she could marry Jimmy or let everyone she loved know how she'd lied to them. She felt sick to her stomach, ready to pass out at any minute.

But she held all of this in, because her mom had been at her side all morning. If she showed any sign of regret or nervousness, her mom was sure to catch on. She'd worked too hard to let it all go down the drain now. "I wish you would have let me do your nails," her mom clicked, looking at Dakota's nails, painted a dark purple. Dakota rolled her eyes, yanking her hand back as her mom started running her fingers through her curled hair, making sure everything was in place. "Where's your veil? Don't worry I'll find it...stay right here," she ordered, quickly ducking out of the room.

Once she was alone, she let out a loud sigh, sitting down and taking her heels off. This was too much. She was at a breaking point. She wanted to say to anyone what she'd done. To get it all off her chest. "You okay 'Kota?" Dakota looked up at Becca, who was poking her head into the room. She shrugged, hating that her eyes were burning with tears. Becca shut the door quietly behind her, looking down at her sister with worried eyes. "Is something wrong? I thought you loved Jimmy..."

"I do. It's just complicated is all...I have so much going through my mind right now you know?" Becca only nodded, her lips in a thin line.

"What's there to worry about though, your already married right? This should be no problem." Dakota looked down at her lap, staying silent. "...Your not really married are you?" she asked. Dakota shook her head so stiffly that Becca wasn't sure she'd moved at all. "'Kota...what were you thinking?" she asked, her eyebrows raised.

Dakota shrugged, shaking her head. "I didn't want mom to hate me. It's like ever since dad she just got harder on me, you know? I couldn't do anything right...I thought this would change everything," she explained. Becca looked at her sister for a long moment, thinking everything over.

"So, are you still going to go through with this?" she asked. "Because if you do...I won't tell anyone. Not even Adam, because I'm sure if I did he'd kill you and Jimmy," she added.

"I think so. I just feel awful for dragging him into all of this you know? I mean we were just friends, hardly that even. And all the sudden I drag him here and tell everyone we're getting married." Becca bit the inside of her cheek.

"Maybe I should go get him, let you talk things over first?" she asked. Dakota nodded,wiping her eyes. "And don't worry, I'll hold off mom for as long as I can," she said before leaving, shutting the door behind her.

It was a few moments later that Jimmy walked in, worry plastered all over his face. He looked at Dakota for a long time, waiting for her to say something. "Chipmunk? What's wrong?" he asked softly, kneeling down in front of her. Dakota's eyes were red from crying, her mascara running slightly.

"I don't know if I can do this Jimmy...I thought it would be fine. But I feel awful for doing this to everyone, you know?" she asked. Jimmy sighed, squeezing her hands gently. "What do you think we should do?"

Jimmy stared at her for a few moments, evaluating his choices. In all honesty, at the beginning he didn't think it was a good idea. He thought it would all go up in flames the minute they arrived in North Dakota. But as things progressed, and he and Dakota got closer, he realized it wasn't as terrible as he'd assumed. If anything, he couldn't be happier that she'd chosen him instead of one of his friends.

"Well...I think we should go out there and get married if you ask me." Dakota smiled at him softly, sniffing. "Because I'm pretty sure that if we'd gone back home and dated...I would have asked you eventually. It's like we're getting to all the good parts while cutting out all the middle stuff you know?"

Dakota did know. It saved them both the torture of waiting. From all the dates they'd go on, each of them already knowing what was going to happen in the end. "I guess your right..." she said with a small sigh. Jimmy grinned at her, standing up and pulling her out of her seat.

"Then I'll see you out there Mama," he snickered, placing a sloppy kiss on her cheek before bolting back out of the room. Dakota was still smiling when her mom came back in the room, veil in hand and Becca trailing in behind her.

When her mother saw that her make up had run from her crying, she stopped, her head tilting to the side. "Is everything okay Dakota?" she asked, Becca watching carefully behind her. Dakota smiled thinly, nodding.

"Yeah, everything's fine."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm actually really happy with the way this turned out.
What do you all think?

As for a sequel...I hadn't actually thought of one at first.
But when people started bringing it up I thought about it a little.
As well as getting a few ideas from Becca.
So I'm not saying it'll happen right away, but if you want a sequel, leave me a comment about it and I'll see if I can work something out.

But I want to thank all of you for reading and commenting and all that :)
And for Beccaface for all the ideas she helped me with.