Status: Complete.

Study Hall

You're counting days on the back of your hands

It was quiet; really fucking quiet. He almost couldn’t concentrate because there was no sound whatsoever. One thing about Pat was that he hated silence. He always tried to avoid it; listening to music when he was by himself, talking all the time, making up beats on his desk. It was all he could do not to yell out in class.

He crumpled up a piece of paper as loud as he could when he had the chance, earning curious looks from the other classmates. He simply smiled back at them as if he hadn’t just disrupted them from their studies. He silently began humming the tune to one of his favorite songs, which was “Pages” by There for Tomorrow. He knew he felt eyes on him, but he didn’t care. It was too damn quiet in the class. The teacher probably would have said something to him if he hadn’t have been a suck up to her last year. All the teachers loved him; it was a known fact.

He turned his attention back to his unfinished homework that was due next period, still humming the tune. He was so confused about what he was supposed to be doing on it, even though he had asked his teacher earlier. All he saw on the page were jumbled up words and a few stray numbers. His mind was seriously about to explode. He couldn’t take complete silence and this sudden overwhelming confusion.

He brought his hand to his temples and stopped humming for a moment, closing his eyes to relax his mind. However, she could somehow still hear the song. I never should’ve started to hum it; now it’s in my head for good. Pat thought. The words were becoming clearer, and he could hear the voice actually saying the words. It wasn’t the singer’s voice, though. It was someone elses.

Pat looked around with his eyebrow furrowed in confusion to make sure he was just imagining it. The sound immediately stopped. He knew it wasn’t his imagination now. It was kind of cool, Pat had to admit, that someone knew the song and was singing along. He smiled a little and turned back to his work.

Now that he was able to concentrate, he began to hum again, playing the drums on his desk along with it. He felt eyes staring at the back of his head, but he didn’t stop. Soon enough he heard the voice again. He couldn’t help but to think it was the most beautiful thing he’d ever heard. He turned around and tried to find the owner.

The voice didn’t stop when he turned this time, and he took that as a good sign. His heart sped up when he found the lips that were moving along with the voice in the seat one row over and one seat behind him. They belonged to none other than, in Pat’s opinion, one of the cutest boys in school, Garrett Nickelsen. He had the most adorable light brown eyes that were always glistening; his hair was the perfect shade of brown. His smile was the brightest thing Pat had ever seen, and to be honest, Garrett was the guy that Pat first had a crush on.

For those few moments, everything else disappeared and they were caught in their own world where only they mattered. Pat was still pounding the beat out onto his legs and humming; singing along when necessary. Garrett was singing his heart out in the quietest voice he could muster without losing the tone. They both felt people glaring at them, but they continued to stare into at each others eyes as they sang.

When they finished the song, neither of them moved or averted their eyes. They both felt a feeling that held more power than words could. Garrett raised the corners of his mouth just slightly, showing that award-winning smile. Pat blushed slightly and smiled back before going back to the work on his desk, He still, however, felt eyes on his back. He was sure they were Garrett’s, so he didn’t mind much; he liked the attention as long as it was from him.

When the bell rang, Pat still hadn’t finished his homework. He rushed to get his things together so he would have a chance of finishing it before class started. He felt a hand grab his arm. Jumping, he turned to see Garrett standing with a smirk on his face.

“You have a really nice voice,” Pat said after what seemed like hours of staring at each other.
“Thanks, you’re pretty talented yourself,” He still had that smirk on his face, now accompanying a faint blush.
“We should talk some more, yeah?” Pat could only nod.

He had never liked study hall so much.
♠ ♠ ♠
This never really happened.