Holding on to Summer

Chapter Two

Gustav's Point Of View
Honestly, I didn't know what to expect.

I remember two different instances from when I must have been about three. The first instance was a happy one, and I still remember my feelings from that day. My uncle pulled me onto his lap at Christmas Dinner. "Gustav," he said, "How you like to have another friend to play with?" I was ecstatic. "In a little while, you going to have a baby cousin, a girl." My aunt added. I was excited. My sister was four years older than me. My only cousin at the time was a year older than Veronica. I was happy to have a relative relatively close to my age; one I could play with as kids and hangout with as we grew older.

The second instance was only about two months later. My aunt and uncle had to go on a trip for a couple of weeks. Some business trip or something. Benjamin, my cousin, stayed at my house. Two days after they left, my dad received a call about a week after they had left. His brother was not at the conference they were to be attending. Nobody knew what happened to my uncle, my aunt, or the baby she was carrying. Ben grew up from then on as my brother. And it wasn't until Veronica attended a German-English Ambassador trip that we found the the baby, my cousin, the grown up Summer.

"Gustav, where do you want to eat?" Bill said, pulling me out of deep thought. I looked out the window. Familiar buildings passed as we drove. Bill repeated, "Gustav, food, dinner, eat, where?"

"Uh, I don't care." I glanced at the seat in front of me. "Summer, do you have any preferences on types of food?"

"Any place that serves vegetarian."

Tom groaned and massaged his brow. "Your vegetarian?"

"Yes." her tone became flat, defensive.

Tom rubbed his temple and muttered to himself, "This is going to be one hell of a tour." Then to the rest of us, "That new place over on Christoph Drive is one of the few places that serve tree-huggers."

"Back up hotshot! Tree Huggers are very different than vegetarians. Though most Tree Huggers, if not all, do not eat meat. And not all vegetarians are tree huggers. And most Vegetarians, but not all, are very environmental." Summer took a breath. It was the longest and the loudest I had ever heard her speak up to that point. No one dared to say a word. "You Tom, obviously don't give a damn about the environment. I cannot believe that I am sitting in an Escalade. It gets what, ten miles per gallon of gas bought?"

"Thirteen."

"Your still proving my point."

I stepped in before this fight got physical and we ended up in a ditch on the side of the road. I mean, Tom was driving. "I was going to pick you up alone Summer, but these three insisted on coming. And Tom has the biggest vehicle with the most seating and luggage storage."

Summer's Point Of View:
"I was hoping he had gotten rid of this gas guzzler.” I turned around to face the back. “Bill, what about your new Audi? Isn't it a little roomie as well?" Shit, I had said to much. That was what happened when I actually talked, to much would come out of my mouth.

"How did you know about my Audi? I though only fans knew about that."

"My little brother. He's a big fan." It wasn't the whole truth. But, they didn't need to know that now did they?

Georg inquired, "Wait, you are a fan right? I mean its just weird if you not."

"No, I'll let my brother play your albums in the car. The German ones sound funny. But I do listen to them. I mean listen to you?" FUCK FUCK FUCK. Shut the hell up Summer. I thought to myself.

"Well we're here, Tree Hugger." I flicked Tom off as I got out. I looked at the restaurant. It was fancy, up scale, probably expensive.

The host took Tom's name (Kaulitz) and said it would be a couple minutes wait. As we sat down to wait, Tom commented, "Bill, we wont be able to use Kaulitz anymore. Majority rules for paying for dinner when we go out. It's tied. Two Kaulitz; Two Schafer."

I jumped in, "If you talking about me, your wrong. I'm an Armstrong not a Schafer."

"Sorry," Bill said for his brother, shooting Tom a death glance, "He forgot. And he's a little insensitive towards other people when he's running on an empty stomach. Do you mind if I ask you a question?"

"You just did, but sure, shoot for a second one."

Bill opened his mouth.

"Kaulitz?" The host called. We got up and followed him. He seated us at a large corner booth in the back. He handed us menus and shuffled away. We studied the meal choices in silence for a few minutes.

Bill's Point Of View:
I set my menu on the table.

Everybody else was already done making their decision. They started laughing. I use the term "they" as a majority marker. Summer smile but didn't break a chuckle. I shrugged it off. I didn't care. I wanted to make sure I had chosen what I really wanted to eat. I'm a picky eater so I have to be careful. If it makes me the last to decide, then so be it.

While the guys laughed, I looked at the newest member of Tokio Hotel, well the Tokio Hotel crew not the band. I found her appearance, whats the word I need? Uh, appealing? Yes that'll work just nicely. She looked a hell of a lot different than other people. I felt the urge to crack the mystery known as her personality. I wanted to know what she was like; her thoughts and feelings. But over all her presence for me was simply mesmerizing.

"I love your hair. But why did you decide to dye it sky blue?" crap, was that me talking? Yup.

She looked unsure if she wanted to answer or not. I guess she made up her mind. "First, its not sky blue, its electric blue. And second, I didn't decide anything about hair colour. I was born with Electric Blue hair and Platinum Blond eyebrows."

Georg gasped, "Born with blue hair? No friggen' way!"

"I have pictures to prove it."

God Georg,don't be so over dramatic! I kicked him under the table but missed. Tom yelped. I apologetically glanced at my best friend/twin brother but then turned to stare ice and fire into Georg's soul. He got the message with Tom's yelp and newly bruised shin. "That is so cool! Unusual but damn awesome."

Summer blushed. Awww. That was cute.

"Just so you don't ask later:” Summer continued. “Yes, my eyes are naturally black and no I do not wear colour contacts. Yes, my K-9 teeth are, quote my dentist 'Vampire sharp. No kidding.' end quote. She is seriously convinced that I am a Vampire. Which leads me to say, yes, my skin is white. Not pale. White. Printer paper white."

I hadn't noticed it before. She was right. Black eyes, vampire fangs, and white marble-ish skin. This made her all the more beautiful. I stopped my thoughts there. I could not, WOULD not get involved with Summer. Other than just being friends. How would it look? Bill Kaulitz, lead singer of Tokio hotel, getting emotionally attached to the bands photographer, Summer Armstrong. Okay, I don't care how it would make me look. But lets be real here, I reminded myself, I could never do that. She's Gustav's cousin. He means more than she does.

At least thats what I thought at the time.

* * *

Dinner was amazingly quite pleasant.

Tom really attempted to not eat like a pig. Actually it was funny watching him try. We all joined in explaining our tour details to Summer. I think we sort of expected her to be slightly confused with everything and ask questions with obvious answers. But no, instead she asked things like 'have you thought about the heat from the day? Fans are going to get dehydrated from waiting in the sun so long,' and 'time to secure a healthy sleep is not something you've mentioned. neither is nutritious eating. What are you going to do when you have no energy on stage?'

One would start to think she's a hardened professional touring musician.

Gustav read my mind "How do you know all this? You seriously sound like you know how this touring business works."

"I haven't thought at all about some of the stiff you mentioned. I'm impressed." my twin complimented. Then he did a 180° mood swing from not an hour before. "Its going to be fun to tour with you."

Summer shrugged. Obviously she wasn't going to tell us. Gustav was right about her being kind of quiet. Summer looked out the window behind me. The sun had disappeared and the cities nightlife started to come alive. I pulled out my cell. Almost nine. I pushed my plate forward, wiped my mouth and hands on off on my napkin.

"I'm stuffed." I half complained.

"Oh Bill, stop whining." Georg retorted then turned to our new Vampire friend. "Get used to it Summer, that is practically all he does. Complain I mean."

"Its fine. I have young family members. I know how to accept it, ignore it, deal with it, and I know how to stop the whining. Its no big deal."

I whooped and stuck my pierced tongue out at Georg. Tom stood up and left a tip on the table. "We have to stop by the studio on our way home. I left some stuff and Bill's going to get it for me. He also has his Audi there. I'm sure he wants it safe at home before the tour. This'll give you a chance to see where all the real work gets done, Summer."

As we weaved our way around tables and chairs I heard Summer mutter, "I'm sure the only work you get done Tom is in a bed, completely bombed." I snickered. Summer caught my eye and smiled.

On our way to the studio Gustav, Georg, and myself let Tom be our illustrious tour guide, since he was driving. He'd point out random buildings as we drove through humble Hamburg. I took everything I had to bite my tongue and not contradict him. We finally pulled into the studio parking lot. Tom put on the brake. I quickly jumped out and ran into the studio.

Coming out minutes later I jogged back to the Escalade. I handed my ever forgetful brother his bag. I swear, he's going to forget to attend either his own wedding (if that ever happens) or his own funeral. I place a set of keys in Summer's palm. "For the studio. Just in case you need to get in. David suggested it. He left a note on top of You-Know-Who's bag."

"Um...okay, thanks."

"My Audi's right over there. I'll see you guys tomorrow. I'll see you Tom back at the apartment." I waved and headed for my own vehicle.

Already lost in thought.

Gustav's Point Of View:
Georg was dropped off next after the studio detour.

Tom and I chatted a while. I felt sure Summer was content on just listening and watching the sights of Hamburg pass by us. She had strong opinions, as we had already heard from the Tom's Car episode. My cousin reminded me of the song, Last Of The American Girls, by Green Day. Summer's convictions let me envision her being the girl some of the lines in the song desvribe: wearing an overcoat for the coming of a nuclear winter, starving herself for the ones who wont make it for dinner, and falling for the criminals who break the law - just to name a few.

Half an hour later we pulled up at my house. Well Summer and I's house. Yes, a house. Its massive. Three floors, too many rooms for one person. Way too big for just little old plain me. I did share it with Ben until about two years ago. Now I'll share it with Ben's little sister. Weird. And an even creepier thought is that this house was Ben and Summer's parents house, before they disappeared.

Tom and I helped my cousin move her luggage into Ben's old room. His old music posters were still up on the walls. Posters like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Nena, Silbermond, Juli, more American bands, and so on. Concert ticket stubs and Futball (soccer) ticket stubs still were plastered to the bedroom, closet, and bathroom doors. Summer looked around. Her gaze lingered on the wall dedicated to Green Day and Foxborro Hot Tubs. She smiled real big. Ah, another Green Day fan. Yup, she would undoubtedly get along real well with Bill. I thought.

Tom gave her a quick hug, said goodnight and saw himself to the door. I leaned against the door frame as Summer began unzipping her backpack. "Food's in the fridge, TV remotes are on the coffee table downstairs. I'm getting up around eight tomorrow. If you need anything, I'll be down the hall. I'm really glad you decided to come with us. Good night Summer." I turned to leave her be, but her voice made me look back.

"Thank you Gustav, for everything." I smiled and left. Suddenly I was super hyped up about this tour. Hyped up about finally knowing my cousin after seventeen years of waiting, and wondering.

Things were looking up.