Indiscernable Games

1

It was two minutes to three and I began to gather away my books. I had to be the first out. I had to. I watched the second hand on the clock move but it seemed to get slower and slower. It was a cool day; the clouds just seemed to float dozily across the grey sky. They reminded me of myself. Just floating around, alone, not doing much, in my own little world. Gazing out the filthy window the piercing bell finally shattered through the silence of the classroom. I grabbed my bag and was out of the room before the bell had even finished sounding.

I jogged to my locker, grabbed a book or two and ran for the big red door that had been opened, letting us out of prison. I ran out into the cool air and a burst of relief washed over me, as I seemed to be one of the first out. I was safe. Wasting no time I headed for the gates, happily, enjoying a quiet walk home.

I stuffed my hands in my pockets and started down the street. And then I realised I hadn’t been so lucky. My plan had failed; they had still caught up with me. The biggest brute jeered first piercing my head with her jagged words. She yelled and yelled at me, calling me names I wouldn’t even dream of saying out loud. Every time the beast spoke her loyal legion of cubs would titter laughing. Soon they all started, taking words from the beast’s dictionary they all screamed at me. I tried not to listen I tried not to hear but even though I closed my eyes my ears stayed open. Then, the first stone hit, right at the back of my neck. More laughing. Another flew piercing the back of knee. Searing pain down my leg. That had been a big one. I didn’t need to look down to see the blood I could already feel it trickling down my leg and onto my white sock. More flew and I realised I had to run. So I broke into a sprint.

I heard them all drop their bags and soar after me, still screaming, still jeering, and still laughing. It was all one, big game for them. I was entertainment. Hurting me was fun. Hurting me was normal. Hurting me was ok.

I ran as if running for my life. My head screamed in agony but my legs didn’t stop. My eyes burned, trying desperately to fight back tears. I couldn’t even hear them behind my anymore, my whole body focused on running. The patter of my feet on the concrete was all I could hear. I felt the wind pushing against me. I felt blood trickle down my leg and neck. Everything round me became one big blur and I didn’t stop running until I fell through my front door and onto the mat. That big, brown, furry mat that read ‘Welcome Home’. I picked it up and flung it across the hall. I stood in the hallway choking out desperate breaths, which quickly turned into uncontrollable sobs as I allowed the restrained tears to flow. I slid down the wall into a crumpled mess on the floor, sobbing my heart out.

Why me?