Indiscernable Games

3

I sat on my bed with nothing to do. I slowly began to drift away to sleep but the sound of a truck awoke me. I curiously got up, stretched and made my way over to the low, cushioned windowsill and began gazing out of the window.

The house across the street had a large moving truck in the driveway. The ‘FOR SALE’ sign was nowhere to be seen. It seemed I had new neighbours; this could be a good thing. The old house still looked awful though. It had been un-inhabited for years now. The paint was peeling off revealing a brownish grey colour. Tiles were missing from the roof and the windows all either boarded up or broken. The rusty veranda was now covered with leaves from the dying oak tree out in the garden. It was truly neglected. I was surprised some family would move in when it was in that condition.

Suddenly, the faded red door slowly opened and a boy around my age strolled out into the overgrown garden. I gasped when I saw him. I don’t know why. I mean he had all the features of a regular teenage boy, but there was something different about him. I just couldn’t put my fingers on it. He was tall and quite lanky but a nice size. He had pale skin like me however his hair was hazel brown. It was light, long and messy. It fell over his eyes and then would be picked up by a breath of wind to reveal his face. He had a perfect nose and rosy cheeks. His cheekbones were high giving him a look of perfection. He was not gorgeous but he was far from ugly. He was just different. However, I was curiously instantly attracted to him. There was something about his presence, his aura, that captivated me and I couldn’t help but stare.

The boy strolled over to a football lying miserably on the grass, which I hardly noticed as the grass was so high. He began to kick it, lifelessly. Just messing around. I watched his every move, not even noticing my lips form a little smile. Then suddenly he stopped kicking the ball and stood perfectly still with his back to me. He stood rigid as I gazed curiously on. I waited. Then in the blink of an eye he spun round, his eyes fixed directly on me without even looking around. I fell off the windowsill in fright. I prayed he hadn’t seen me but I knew he had. I wondered how he saw me and how he seemed to know exactly where to look, as if he had sensed it. There had been a slight, small smile etched on his face when he had looked, but his eyes, those eyes. They had been black, his whole eye black and they poured into my mind. I saw them when I closed my eyes and when I looked around. They had almost…. scared me.

I waited a few minutes before cautiously sitting up to peek out the window. The boy was gone and the door closed again. The house looked so deserted apart from the moving truck, which sat open and untouched in the driveway. Where were the people un packing the truck? Where were the parents? I saw something out of the corner of my eye walk across one of the upstairs windows of the house. I jumped up and pulled down the blind on my window and I shuddered. How strange? Great. Seems like I have weirdo’s for new neighbours.