Indiscernable Games

5

I was up at the crack as usual. I find it difficult to sleep for more than four hours at a time. I’m weird like that. I decided to leave for school anyway , I might arrive before the beast’s decide to pounce on their pray again.

I grabbed my backpack, which was filthy from having stones thrown at it. I left the house barely noticing nor caring that my Mom’s car was not back in the drive yet. I gazed up at Old Brickwald House. It still looked empty. I decided to cross the road and walk on that side to get a better look. It didn’t look as if the new owners were making any attempt to clean it up at all. I gazed up at the window, but there was no sign of the boy I had seen. I sighed disappointedly. I passed by the house when something caught my eye. I turned around and there he was, smiling at me from outside the gates.

‘Oh,’ I gasped out of surprise.

‘Oh?’ he laughed.

‘Sorry…. I just…I didn’t see you come out is all,’ I said nervously smiling. He looked even better close up. He wore casual jeans and a tan coloured jumper which matched his skin perfectly. His hair was thrown messily around his head and he had a black backpack slung over one shoulder. He grinned and my knees buckled.

‘Hi,’ he said. ‘I’m Indigo.’ The name matched him so perfectly that it was breath taking.

I smiled stupidly up at him. Going bright red, I had no idea what to say.

‘You live across the street, right?’ he asked, obviously trying to make conversation, which I was making incredibly difficult.

I nodded blushing he had caught me looking. I noticed his eyes; they weren’t black but a beautiful shade of deep, dark brown.

‘I know this is strange,’ he laughed sheepishly. ‘But would you mind walking me to school? I’m just not sure where I’m going.’

‘Um, sure. Are your parents not around?’ I asked.

‘Oh no,’ he said. I thought I saw a flash of sad emotion cross his perfect face. ‘They are both at work already.’

‘Same with my Mom,’ I said. ‘Well, actually she didn’t even come home last night.’

He smiled sympathetically at me. I was grateful.

‘So, how do you like the town?’ I asked, changing the subject.

‘Yeah, it’s ok,’ he smiled. ‘Well, now I’ve finally met someone my age.’

I realised I had this huge idiotic grin on my face so I turned away.

‘So, you’ll introduce me to some people at the school?’ he asked hopefully. ‘Your friends like?’

I blushed and looked at my shoes.

‘What?’ he asked.

I almost wanted to groan. He was going to see me as a complete loser.

‘Well. Um,’ I said quietly. ‘All my friends have sort of… moved away.’

‘You have not one single friend?’

I nodded. Well, that’s the end of that. He’s never going to speak to me again.

‘Well,’ he said that beautiful smile spreading across his face again. ‘Since I am in the same boat, we should be friends.’

I nodded, dazed momentarily by his smile and by what he just said.

‘Cool,’ he breathed and I couldn’t help but stare. I had to check every few minutes that I wasn’t drooling, of course.

I didn’t say much but it wasn’t awkward as he talked a lot. I was always like this. I found it difficult to open up to strangers but if I know someone really well or am not bothered about what they think of me I can totally be myself.

‘So, this is it I expect,’ he said as he paused outside the huge gates. I glanced nervously around to make sure the beast wasn’t lurking and thankfully she was nowhere to be seen.

‘Yes, here we are,’ I murmured and groaned. He seemed amused by this and laughed. I blushed.

As soon as we walked through the door, people were staring. They whispered and some even pointed at us. I acted as if I didn’t notice, talking to Indigo more and making dramatic hand movements. I looked like I was having a good time for once. Actually laughing. Why was it so difficult to understand that I had a friend?

'Oh no, not again,’ giggled one of the beast’s cubs and the gang of animals burst into laughter.

I hated this, I just wanted to cry. However, Indigo just kept talking as if nothing was wrong. I started to like him more and more.