Hitokiri, Aijou

Eleven.

I was running.

I could hear them fighting beside me.

I could hear their heavy breaths as they ran their grunts as they managed to beat another opponent. Most of all I could hear them killing.

I didn’t look, I refused to accept this, so I kept running.

Then.

Blood.

Splattered.

On.

Me.

I tripped, my tongue involuntary moving to sweep against my upper lip.

Human blood tastes like rust.

The pungent iron taste made me gag and soon my stomach had emptied.

A detached voice sounded, it took me a bit to realize it was Ohno-kun’s voice, I wiped my mouth, I heard bangs. My eyes drifted upwards to the closing orb. Ohno smiled at me.

“Shut up!” I looked to my right, Jun-kun was screaming at the people who were outside of my new shelter.

There was a black shadow outside of the orb. Fear petrified me, I could feel a cold sweat rising out of my pores.

“Sh-sh-shinigami!” I fell back and scooted as far as I could get, before Jun stopped me.

Blood erupted like lava on the orb; soon two more shadows joined then there were bangs again.

“Ah. It’s them.” Ohno-kun said touching the orb, the three shadows stepped in.

They were breathing heavy, my eyes locked on Nino’s neck and face, blood seemed to have been painted on, his clothes were a dark red, so dark it looked black. Then I remembered his clothes had been originally white. I looked at Mayu, she wasn’t as bloody but then again they had told me she had the lowest kill count, it seemed she only like to intimidate and beat people up. She smiled at me, obviously happy that she wasn’t as stained.

“He’s dead…” I turned sharply to Sie, her head was hanged and her hair wasn’t light brown as it was darkened by blood.

“I’m sorry, but he wouldn’t want you to be like this, Ninomiya-kakka.” Jun said with his head bowed.

“Kakka?”

“She’s now head of this family.” Nino said quietly.

“Shouldn’t that be you?” I asked.

“No, she’s the oldest, well technically Mayu is the oldest, but Sie is the most experienced.” Nino said looking at her.

“He’s gone, and I’m a tiger.” That’s when I noticed that she was completely coated in blood, her eyes had also changed colors, they were a lighter brown, almost golden. A tear left her eyes, making a single line of lighter-shaded red, it didn’t seem as if the blood could be washed off, and there also didn’t seem to be a single spot on her body that was un-bloodied. She opened her mouth; a scream clawed its way out.

In my head, it was a tiger’s roar, and maybe it was.

Ohno hugged her, staining his brilliant blue robes red.

“I love you.” He breathed.

I blinked at him, the words seemed like they gave Sie energy, she crumbled into him and breathed him in.

“I know…ne…I agree.” She sighed a smile, and looked at him, “I’m glad you cut my hair.”

Ohno beamed. He gave a nod and slumped on her, she held him, her bloody fingers leaving delicate trails in his hair as she ran them through it.

I felt like someone had grabbed my heart and squeezed, there was a cold surge going through out my body. Then it was gone. I looked around everyone had a dazed look on their faces.

“Ne, Satoshi…I love you.” Sie said quietly, kissing his nose quickly before standing up and facing Sho.

“Son of Sarutahiko Okami, allow us to fight next to your grace and command us towards glory!” Sie said bowing in front of Sho, she pulled out a dagger, that looked unremarkably clean. “Take us in as your warriors, oh dear Emperor Sakurai!” Mayu and Nino bowed beside her their own daggers extended hilt first towards Sho.

“Long live Emperor Sakurai!” their voices boomed.

“I…can’t…I’m not trained enough…Kazunari can do it…he can be your emperor…I-”

“We chose you.” Sie said, her voice quaking, “even if we don’t last long enough for your reign to make a mark in history, we choose you.” Sho let out a strangled breath, and took Sie’s dagger with shaking hands. He bent his head towards her forearm, kissing the skin there gently before moving the dagger were his lips had just laid.

“Well, here I go…you are my shinigami…bring me eternal rule in this world and the next.” He said quietly, before he gracefully etched his name on each of their forearms.

“Us too.” Jun said pulling up his sleeve, Ohno-kun did the same, and suddenly I was sitting beside them my arm stretched forward.

“Masaki…you don’t have to be involved in this too, you have no ties to the family they’ll let you live, but if I mark you, they’ll kill you…please…run away, go back to your family…Masaki…”Sho’s voice was cracking.

“I am a part of this.” I said, my voice steady, I reached into my pocket and pulled out the small knife and hair from it, “I am a part of this, I am Aiba Masaki, I am engaged to Ackart Mayu.” I looked up at Sho, “This is my family, and you are my emperor.” Tears were streaking down his face, but he nodded nonetheless and soon pain erupted on my forearm it went numb, and I watch as Sho’s name became engraved on my skin and soul.

“I’m done.” He sighed, there were so many bangs outside now, muffled shouts.

“Your command?” Sie asked, her eyes shifting between Sho and the growing amount of people on the outside.

“Protect us, my warriors.” He said his voice cracking at the last of it.