Hitokiri, Aijou

Fourteen.

I don’t know where we were at, all I knew is that I had to keep running and not look back, and that I had to ignore the growing darkness I felt in my heart, suddenly my hand erupted in pain, I let go of Sho’s hand and grabbed my wrist. A shuriken was embedded into the middle of my hand, Sho walked over to me his eyes panicked, I grabbed the shuriken and pulled, pulling it out hurt a lot more than it going in did. I screamed in pain, Sho held my face.

“It’s okay, it’ll go away, Masaki come let’s keep going.” He said desperately, I nodded at him and gripped his hand with my good one.

“Let’s go.” I whimpered and we took off running again. Suddenly Sho collapsed, and I fell down, I turned around to see that he was bleeding from his head, and it was running down his neck I flipped him over.

“Emperor when did you get injured?” I asked, he looked so pale, running couldn’t have helped anything.

“I hit my head…when….Jun-kun…” he sighed, I shook my head, there was no way this was happening, we’d promise to always be there right, we promised to be friends forever. I was sobbing. Sho’s eyes shut, and I stood up, I knew he was never going to open them again.

But he had wanted this hadn’t he? He urged me to keep going, he was like this worrying about everyone and everything but himself that’s why he was going to be a great emperor, he was a great leader, I felt anger. I turned and ran towards the fight, a man stood before me, I didn’t think twice. My dagger made contact with his neck and he fell forward, withering as he died.

Time sped up. Suddenly I could hear Mayu’s grunt.

“Masaki?” she asked as she ran towards me. I looked at her, then at my hands, then back at her, she was shaking her head her eyes wide.

“You weren’t supposed to be mixed up in all of this, Masaki…I’m sorry…” she was tearing up I shook my head and hugged her.

“It’s okay…It’s okay.” I kept repeating I don’t know who I was trying to convince anymore.

“Our Emperor?” she asked. I shook my head again. She gave a small nod.

“So our Emperor is also dead.” I could hear the crack in her voice, right before she leaned and kissed me, then turned and took off. I knew what she was going to do, she was going to kill everyone she could see.

Time slowed down.

I slit his throat, he had gotten too close to me, he was the 47th one, it didn’t hurt to kill them anymore, but I could feel my soul dulling with everyone.

Then I felt it.

A coldness, my breath fled from me, my eyes shot upwards almost as if I was staring at someone up above.

“Kazunari!” Sie’s blood curling scream made me start running towards her, I got there a few seconds after Mayu; we were both looking up at a small hill. Sie was standing watching a body that was pierced to the rock. Her eyes looked haunted and my heart felt hallowed, I looked at the body, my breath fled from me again.

“Nino…” I rasped, his head was hung to the side, and he looked at peace. His hand was curled slackly around the spear that had kept him in place. He hadn’t gone down without a fight.

Suddenly there was laughing, we all turned.

“He was so easy to kill, you three were supposed to be better than this.” It was males voice, there was another man with him, I felt the anger pulsate, Sie walked slowly towards them.

“I’m the best one there is, try killing me.” Sie said, she roar as she pulled out her sword.

One man ran straight towards her while the other ran behind her then very suddenly both spears embedded themselves in her. Her blood floated upwards exploding like cherry blossoms, the men spun her so that she could see Nino.

“He was your little boyfriend wasn’t he?” the man in front of her jeered.

“No…he was my cousin you sick bastard.” Her voice was oddly contained. The man’s eyes widened, fear etched itself into his face.

“What never seen a Shinigami’s eyes this close?” she smirked, before she coughed out more blood. She raised up her sword and pulled a dagger out form her hip, then very quickly killed the men, they hadn’t noticed her movements, she fell on her knees as she crawled towards Nino, I noticed then that her eyes had been light brown the whole time.

I looked over at Mayu, but she was only seeing the scene in front of us, then I noticed, everyone was gone it was only us two. And we didn’t stand a chance. Mayu grabbed her dagger, and I picked up my knife, we turned and watched as Sie died beside Nino, the sun had begun to set, and soon there would be darkness, I looked at her, and wiped away a stray tear before I kissed her.

“Aishiteru…zutto…zutto, aishiteru…” I whispered against her lips, she nodded.

“And I you.” Then we shared our last kiss and plunged the weapons into each other’s stomachs.

We were not going to die at the hands of those that killed our family, we would not give them that sick satisfaction.

“Zutto.” I wheezed as we died, my hand curling around her own hand. “Aishiteru…” our world went black.

The sun has risen. And it will set, and it will rise again. This is the cycle of the earth. We too follow a cycle. We will rise again, not like the dead but as alive as a newborn. Brand new world, listen to our plea, we will find ourselves, we will exists and our deaths shall be as victorious as our lives.