Hitokiri, Aijou

Six.

Nino all but inhaled the beef ramen they had set in front of us, before he devoured two of the eel egg sushi plates they had also placed with our meal. He then stood and smiled at us, Mayu-chan had a surprised look on her face and my ramen was currently being suspended above my bowl by my chopsticks.

“Can one of you help me carry food to Sie?” he asked, the same French kohai that had approached him earlier came forward with a tray, there she was holding a beef ramen bowl and 4 orders of eel egg sushi, Nino smirked at her, before he took the tray from her.

“Can you prepare another?” her eyes filled with confusion then a smile appeared, even I who hadn’t formally met her could tell that she thought she was being asked to bring a bowl for herself.

“It’s not for you, silly; it’s for Sie’s fiancé.” Nino said, a sweet smile on his face before he turned and began to walk out of the dining hall, a look of disappointment filled the French girls face.

Time must have flown by while I ate my ramen, which was amazing, I might have to steal the recipe; this might be hard to do seeing as everyone here is properly a trained ninja.

“You sure eat with your heart.” Mayu-chan’s voice hit my ears; that’s when I noticed that the only sound was my slurping.

“Ah, sorry, but it’s so good.” I said automatically putting my chopsticks down, this was my second bowl.

“You can keep eating.” I looked up at her, she had a cute smile on her face, her eyes where half lidded, and I was getting drawn in, her lips looked perfect and pink, and her eyes were a shining green.

“Stop.” She breathed; I blinked, and noticed I was a few centimeters from her mouth.

“Why?” I asked, looking up into her eyes, “Why?”

“Because…because…” she shook her head. “This cannot happen.” She stood up, and I fell back onto myself.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered as I finished up my ramen, “Can you take me to where they are at, so I can say good bye? My mother must be worried.” I said a smile on my face, she nodded, and bowed her arm extending towards the door.

“Eh, you’re leaving?” Nino asked, I nodded. “But, its late.” He looked outside, “It’s not safe to leave.”

“I’ll take him home.” Sie-chan said, as she quietly accepted the sushi roll Ohno-kun was holding to her mouth.

“You are letting him feed you?” Mayu-chan asked.

“Yes, he has some use.” Sie-chan said, an arrogant tone in her voice, Ohno-kun rolled his eyes and purposely missed Sie-chan’s mouth. She glared at him, but he simply smiled at her and held out some ramen noodles. Sie-chan sighed, as she stood up, stretching her body, “Shall we go?” she asked, moving to grab a black robe.

“Eh, are you sure it’s ok?” I asked, she nodded.

“Let’s go.”

We walked in silence for the most part, Ohno-kun following close behind both of us.

“Um, so how does your engagement work?” I asked, as we turned onto the main street.

“To be honest, I don’t know.” She sighed. “Jun might know, or maybe Satoshi!” she called as she stopped.

“Hai?”

“Do you know the reason of our engagement?”

“…”

“The reason you have to cut my hair?”

“Oh! Yes I do.”

“Explain.”

“Izanami-san has long hair right?” Sie-chan gave a nod, “therefore you are supposed to leave your hair long as a sign of respect, this tradition has long since died out seeing as you keep it short, but you are supposed to keep it long, when a man wishes to make you his he must cut your hair to signify that you no longer belong to Izanami-san but to him, and she will bless the union, however if she has a problem with it or wishes to test the genuine value of the males love for her daughter, she will send in other males to fight for her.”

“If the male is killed in battle then he was not the one she had chosen for you, however, if he is killed out of battle and you are taken by force, she will reanimate your lost lover and make him kill the assailant.” Ohno-kun said nodding.

“What happens to the lover?”

“Oh well he dies again, this time peacefully.” Sie-chan laughed, it was heartfelt and musical. Ohno-kun’s eyes went wide a bit, before he smiled. I could see it, he was falling for her rapidly.

“This is it.” I said motioning to my family’s restaurant, as well as my home. The smell of the food was intoxicating, and I could feel my mouth watering, drunken men made their way out, laughing as they made their way down the road.

“You…are…a commoner?” Sie-chan said quietly, carefully, almost as trying to find a different word for it but coming up with a blank, she looked at me a worried look in her eyes, I smiled at her, to show that she hadn’t insulted me.

“Yep, I am.” I said, my smile broadening.

“May I enter your home?” she asked bowing, Ohno-kun bowed a second after her, I laughed, she looked up confused.

“Yep, come on, I’m sure my dad will make you something to eat.” I smiled as I walked into the restaurant.
♠ ♠ ♠
Izanami-san = Izanami-no-Mikoto / Izanami-no-kami is the Goddess of Creation and Death read more about her here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izanami