Catching Raindrops

Catching Raindrops

Rain padded softly and endlessly against the window of Max’s bedroom. He sighed and got up, deciding that it was much too late to try and go back to sleep when he’d already spent most of the night just trying to.

His fingers pulled at the string attached to the shade to reveal the wet, cold, and miserable world just inches apart from where he stood.

A rhythmic humming filled his silent room, and he snapped out of his trance to look over his shoulder where his cell vibrated, alerting him of a text message¾ or could it be a call?

He grabbed the vibrating phone before it fell right off the nightstand and flipped it open. It was a text from Craig. Max felt a small smile tug at his lips when he read the message.

mind if I pick ur ass up and take u out smwhr my treat!

Max replied.

idk ima lil tired ..

Waiting for a reply as he sat on the edge of his unmade bed, he looked out the window. The phone vibrated again, signaling Craig’s response.

u ALWAYS say that ..…

And then there was another incoming message just a second later- before he could even reply to the first.

ill just hav to drag u out hr myself then

Max furrowed a brow in question. He got on his feet and peeped out of his window subtly to spot Craig’s car down the street and not so far. And to make things worse, the rain had let down. It was going to be his excuse for not going.

He quickly wiggled out of his sleeping clothes and shrugged on a clean t-shirt and jeans. Grabbing his belt and running a hand though his messy hair, he scampered out of the room.

He then pulled the door open, Craig’s hand in midair about to knock. Surprised, but rather chipper, Craig chuckled, “you must be excited. You didn’t even give me a chance to knock.”

“I just didn’t wanna get dragged out here,” Max retorted with feigned irritation, but a smile blew the solemn expression he was trying to pull.

“Psh. It’s your day today, Maxie… yet you treat it like any other day.”

“Because it is just other day,” sighed the birthday boy.

“You’re another year older, another year stupider, and have another year with your bff Craig.”

Max laughed lightly. He crossed his arms against the cold that enfolded him as he stood on the porch with the singer. Craig could still notice that he was shivering.

“Go grab a jacket. It’s cold, dummy.”

“Actually, Craig ... I … I’m really not up for anything right now. I’m not feeling well,” he lied carefully. Craig just nodded slowly, the smile on his face still there but the cheer in his eyes was gone. Max sighed and headed inside after telling Craig to wait up.

Returning in a couple of seconds, Max shut the front door behind him and asked, “wanna go for a walk?”

“Yeah,” Craig replied. He walked next to Max and figured that taking a walk was better than getting turned down for what could have possibly been a … date.

The two walked in silence for the first few minutes, but then both sighed aloud simultaneously.

“Seems like something’s troubling us both,” Craig uttered thoughtfully. Max turned his head to look at him.

“You seemed just fine when you were there to pick me up.”

“I was excited. I was really hoping that you’d accept…”

“Accept?” Max asked, an eyebrow raised.

“I was asking you out,” he uttered lowly.

“…Oh,” Max cleared his throat and he felt blood creep to his cheeks. “So, where were you planning to take me?”

“Hm? Oh! I was going to take you to this Italian restaurant that opened not far from here. I thought maybe if it was a close one that you’d be more likely to actually come along.”

“… Thoughtful,” Max murmured. “I guess.”

“Yeah… I had plenty time to think it out. I planned it out a few months ago.”

“So, then you’ve also been planning to ask me out since then, too.”

Craig’s smile faltered and embarrassment marked his face. “Yeah,” he breathed.

“So, it wasn’t just me being delusional, you really had something for this idiot.”

“Delsuional?” Craig laughed. Max shrugged.

“Uhm- I could’ve sworn I saw you staring at me from the corner of my eye, but when I looked over you weren’t looking anymore…I dunno. It was weird.”

Craig blinked when a raindrop got in his eye. He looked up toward the sky.

“Shit. It’s gonna rain again.”

Max slipped his hands out from his pockets and spread them out before him. Droplets of moisture landed on his palms, trailing down his wrists into the sleeves of the jacket. Craig merely gazed on longingly with glazed eyes.

It soon began to pour down and the couple ran off to Max’s place for shelter. There, they slumped onto the small couch and caught their breath.

Craig rested his head against Max’s shoulder and breathed, “phew… My hair’ll be a mess after it starts drying off.”

Max chuckled and rested his head on the top of Craig’s, noting the waves in his own hair already forming. “I hate the rain …”

The two were silent for several moments, listening to one another breathe. Then Max felt a vibration against his leg. The sound of chiming filled the room and Craig jumped slightly in shock but slipped his cellphone out from his pocket.

“…Uh, hello?” he murmured. A tiny voice was barely audible. The reply coming from the other end brought Craig’s lips into a tight thin line. “Yeah. Guess I’ll see you then.”

Craig shut his eyes tightly and reopened them, raising his head slightly under Max’s chin so that he could look up at the other. Max’s face held curiosity.

“Max. I gotta go, there’s just a lot of shit I haven’t got done and- so- yeah.”

“Ah,” Max replied. He looked down into Craig’s chocolate eyes and puckered his brow.

“I haven’t been able to concentrate, so I’ve been putting so much off…” he mumbled. He brought his face closer to Max’s, drawing his lips to his chin, where he placed a quick stiff kiss on the other’s lips. Max recoiled in surprise.

Craig then pulled away, realizing that maybe he’d just gone too far. That thought diminished when Max smiled nervously, but neared again, laying a lighter kiss on his lips. He then pulled Craig’s lower lip into his mouth.

Once again, Max felt a vibration against his leg, but it was left ignored for a few minutes. “I’m going to be late…” Craig murmured, his voice deadened by Max’s lips.

“Just tell them you got caught in traffic or something,” Max hummed. Craig brought an arm over Max’s head and put it to his neck, pulling him closer and trapping him in a firm grip.

“Mm- I wish I could stay,” Craig whispered before pulling away and standing up. Max sighed, rolling his eyes at the irony. He got up despite not wanting to and opened the door for Craig.

“You’ll be paying for this,” Max mumbled as he stood at the door. Craig, on the other side of the doorway, was about to lean in to kiss Max when the other shut the door, nearly trapping his lips between the frame and door. The other’s muffled shout came out, “like I said!”

Craig laughed and turned on his heels, heading for his car and hopping in. Max watched Craig from the window as he drove off. His own phone alerted him of an incoming message and he flipped it out.

how bout nx time?

Max grinned impishly and hit ‘reply’.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, the whole birthday thing was pointless to mention, but whatever.

I know this was pretty gay and too short, but this is like practice since I really haven’t written anything in like a year or two. :/

Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it! :’)

So didja like it?