Astra- The Myth

1/1

Back when there was nothing to light the night sky, there was one lonely goddess left to watch over the darkness. Her name was Astra.

Astra was the daughter of the all powerful Zeus and the beautiful Aphrodite. She was young, carefree, and full of beauty like her mother. When Astra came down from Mount Olympus, every man’s head turned to adore her. This little problem upset Aphrodite terribly.

When the time was right, and with the help of Hera, Aphrodite planned to rid the world of Astra. But Zeus soon caught wind of Aphrodite’s plan and could not let her go through with it. Zeus and Aphrodite decided to, instead, send Astra off to a place where no one could see her, into the night sky. But Aphrodite’s plan backfired. Instead of no one seeing Astra, the whole world could now see her. When Astra had reached the dark heavens, her beauty had shone through the darkness brighter than any fire could; Astra had become the moon. To Aphrodite, simply lighting the sky every night was not a big enough burden, she wanted Astra to suffer more.

Aphrodite traveled the lands, filling a bucket of water with a single tear from each person who lived. She then washed her hair with the tears and flipped her wet hair towards the sky, flinging the water droplets from her hair into the darkness. The droplets stuck to the large, black canvas and glittered down for everyone to see. Each shining star held a purpose for being in the sky. The stars were special to each person, though they did not know; for each star was a piece of someone’s destiny. Astra now had to watch all the stars carefully, for if one was to burn out, someone’s destiny would be shattered.

So now, whenever a child is born, Astra steals the first tear from the crying babe and places it among the many stars surrounding her. And whenever one fulfills his destiny, a shooting star soars and lands in his resting place.

Astra was once a charming woman who graced the land with her beauty, but she is now even more dear to us than before. She is Astra, light of the night and keeper of destinies.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it is very short, it's suppose to be.
Thoughts? Comments are very appreciated! :)