Status: In the making.

Lost and Found

Lost.

He stood, thin and tall, smoking his last cigarette. His eyes were weak and his body tired from years of hard work. From a ways away he seemed questionable. He looked appalled and reserved as if it was his first time in the city. New York is always a bit of a culture shock at first, so she understood his demeanor but still, curiosity overtook her.

Her life up to this seemed to be about as useful as pondering a direction on a one-way street.
See also; pointless.

She was another worthless, spoiled rich girl. She was a prom queen turned high school drop out and she knew it, and yet she only blamed God. It wasn’t her fault she had taken such a horrible direction, after all it was his game, she was just a pawn in it all.
See also; denial.

She was in her early twenties but was worn and torn like a fifty-year old. She was fed up; she was sick and tired.
See also; despondent.

She had hit a roadblock, a major one. God had slipped through her fingers exactly as she had slipped through his years before. And she had almost given up the fight.
See also; lost.

***
She was sitting across the street on a crumbling curb and thinking of the best way to approach the curious man, when a rough tap on the shoulder jerked her from her thoughts. The man towered over her with a strange look on his face.

“Can I bum one?” he asked, motioning at the pack of cigarettes in her hand.

She gazed up at him for an awkward minute trying to gather her thoughts before slowly handing the pack up to him. The thought of possible danger hadn’t occurred to her until that minute, while the giant of a man stood above her. He could easily enough take her life and not a damn person would notice, however she didn’t get a bad vibe and her instincts hadn’t yet voiced an opinion. She had learned to rely on those things; in New York they were all you had.
See also; resourceful.

“Thanks,” he said as he crouched next to her.

She took a deep breath, and relaxed a bit. He smelled of smoke and peppermint; and there’s nothing intimidating about either. She was doing her best to put up a brave front while she shook on the inside.
See also; stupid.

“I bet you had really beautiful eyes once, what happened?” he asked as if he already knew the answer and was only humoring her.

“I don’t know.” And she didn’t, she had no idea why life had taken her to this place or why God had let her follow this pointless path, but what she did know was, that if something didn’t change, she’d soon give up, completely.
And God just wouldn’t have that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments would be greatly appreciated.