‹ Prequel: Bus Stop
Sequel: So Close Yet So Far

Green Porcupine

Chapter 10

"I miss Tre!" I yell out into my apartment even I know I was only disturbing the neighbors. My phone rings and I hopelessly go to pick it up.
"Hello?"
"Bianca, thank goodness your home."
"Lisea?"
"Yeah, can you watch Ramona tonight? My babysitter just crapped out on me and I have a date."
"I don't need a babysitter! Wait you're talking to Bianca?" I hear Ramona's voice say in the back ground.
"Yeah sure, bring her over." I say apathetically.

A few minutes later I hear them knocking at my apartment door.
"Hey Ramona" I say as I let the happy ten year old in.
"Bianca, you're a life saver!" Lisea says happily.
"Can I sleep over?" Ramona asks as she puts her bag down.
"I guess." I lean closer to Lisea and whisper in her ear. "Enjoy an apartment alone with you're a hunk of man."
"Thank you again." Lisea says as she scurries down the stairs.
"So what do you want to do kid-o." I ask as I sit on the couch with her.
"Can we watch a movie?" she asks happily.
"Sure, what movie." She makes her way over to my movie selection.
"How about this one?" she asks lifting up The Ring.
"No, I don't think you should watch that one." I say putting back on the shelf.
"Why not?"
"It scared the crap out of your Dad and I really don't think you'll be much better off."
"Oh c'mon." she whines.
"How about you call your Dad and ask him yourself." I say handing her the phone. She dials his cell number and waits a few moments.
"Hi dad... I'm at Bianca's and she won't let me watch the Ring without your permission... why not?... did you pee yourself while watching it?" she starts giggling then passes me the phone "He wants to talk to you."
"Come see me on tour."
"Tre, I miss you loads but I can't just keep not showing up for rehearsals for two weeks at a time." I say rolling my eyes.
"Just one week this time." He pleads.
"When?"
"In two days."
"Damn your spontaneity" I say laughing.
"C'mon we can share some more M&M's, please."
"Fine, one week and not a day longer or else Roberto will kill me."
"Okay good, your plane ticket is waiting." He says in a stalker voice.
"Can I come?!" Ramona asks, I pass the phone back to Ramona; she listens for a moment and then hangs up the phone. "He says I can't because he doesn't want me to miss school."
"It's okay; he'll come visit you on his next break."
"I know" she pouts. "When he first started touring, he said he didn't have a lot of money, so does that mean you didn't get to visit him on tour?"
"That's right so I'd go like two months at a time without seeing him."
"That's a long time." She says with big eyes.
"Well once, I won a dance competition and I got prize money and me, Jill and Adie went to England to visit them." I say smiling at the memories running through my head.
"Why did Jill go?" Ramona asks with a weird expression across her face.
"Oh, she was dating Mike." I say quickly.
"Is she going to ever get back together with Mike, like you did with my Dad?"
"No, they're just friends." She nods and picks up another movie off the shelf.
"Ms. Congeniality is a good choice." I say as I put the movie on.