‹ Prequel: Bus Stop
Sequel: So Close Yet So Far

Green Porcupine

Chapter 14

I wake up the next morning with a splitting headache. I look around and see that Tre was already up and probably in the T.V. room. I see he left me a glass of water and a couple of aspirin. I take the aspirin and chug down the water before heading out to the T.V. room where Ramona and Frankito are watching Sponge Bob and Tre is lying on the sofa in distress.
"Morning." I yawn as I lie next to Tre.
"Good morning," the two children say, not looking away from the T.V. once.
"Morning." Tre's raspy voice says as he wraps his arm around me. We lie on the sofa watching Sponge Bob for a while. I look at my watch.
"Ramona, we have to go to the bridal party breakfast." I say as I get up.
"Okay," she says finally looking away from the T.V. "Do I put on my dress?"
"No, not yet. Just wear regular clothes for now." I say walking to my room to get dressed.

We walk over to the "bride's room" and knock on the door. Adie answers and we walk in.
"Okay, let's go." Jill says grabbing her bag and leading the rest of the people in the suite out into the hall. The rest of the people being, Cassie, Estelle, Jill's mother and James's mother. We make our way down to the restaurant and enjoy a breakfast of pancakes and orange juice. The herd of women make our way to the spa for a day of pampering.
"Are you nervous yet?" I tease Jill as we're getting our pedicures done.
"Nope." She says not looking at me.
"You're lying." I say poking her cheek.
"So?"
"Liar, liar pants on fire." I sing childishly.
"Good thing I'm wearing a dress." She snickers.

An hour before the ceremony Jill's nerves really start to kick in.
"Jill calm down. Do you love James?"
"Hell yeah!" she yells.
"Then what are you worried about?"
"I don't know!"
"Calm down, take deep breaths." I say calmly. Adie walks up to us and hands Jill a glass of champagne,
"Drink, and relax." Adie says patting Jill's hand lightly.
"Okay, I'll be fine." Jill says finally relaxing. "We should get dressed now."
"Yeah, we'll go get our dresses and we'll be back to make sure you don't pull your hair out."
"Okay." Jill laughs. I go back to my empty hotel room and grab me and Ramona's dresses and sandals and head back to Jill's suite.
"I'm back." I say as I place the dresses on the bed.
"Good can you help me zip up my dress?" Jill asks walking backwards toward me. I zip up the dress and pat her on the back.
"Where did everyone go?" I ask noticing the absence of Cassie, Estelle, and the mothers.
"They went to get their dresses." Jill says adjusting her dress in the mirror.
"Ramona." I call out into the T.V. room, "Come put on your dress." She scurries into the bedroom and grabs the dress from me before scurrying off to the washroom.
"Oh you look adorable." Jill says on the verge of crying. At that moment Cassie and Estelle walk back into the hotel room, "Oh both my flower girls are so cute."
"Thanks" Ramona says as she swishes in front of the mirror and Stella joins her. I put my own dress on and walk out of the washroom to see Adie in a similar dress but with a different cut.
"Maids of honor are ready!" Adie announces to Jill.
"Good, now the two of you can help me with my hair!" Jill calls out in distress.
"You think she's stressed?" I ask Adie sarcastically. We laugh and walk into the next room where Jill is sitting nervously. We tie her hair into a sleek bun and allow some curls to dangle by her cheek; we then attach a white lotus flower to her hair as an alternative to a veil.
"Oh thank you!" she exclaims happily as she grips us in a tight hug.
"Oh I can't believe my Jillian is getting married." Jill's mother says as she walks in with a tissue in her hand.
"Mom." She says as she goes to hug her mother. There's a knocking at the door. I go to answer it.
"Hi Billie, do you want to talk to Adie?" I ask about to call out to her.
"No, it's okay. I just came to tell you that we're going to head off to the waterfall, so is Jill ready?"
"Yeah, just about." I say looking at her emotional mother.
"Alright, see you there." He says as he walks away from the door. I turn and walk into the next room where everyone is chatting.
"Showtime!" I yell.

We make our way to the small waterfall where Jill and James are to be wed. Cassie and the mothers go to sit down with Billie, Mike, Tre and Jill's father. The boys are waiting at the head of the path; Joey and Jakob are wearing black shorts and blue polo shirts, the best men are dressed in similar attire. Joey takes Ramona's arm and Joey takes Estelle's arm after a bit of persuasion. Adie and I are paired up with James's brothers (Matt and Chris) and Jill was smiling like there was no tomorrow.
"Wait where's Frankito?" Adie asks looking around. Moments later Tre runs up the isle carrying a squirming Frankito.
"I think you need him." He says laughing. "Oh so many pretty ladies." Tre smirks and leaves to go back and sit down as the music starts. The walk down the path to the waterfall starts with Jakob and Estelle followed by a hyperactive Frankito, Ramona and Joey, me and Matt, Adie and Chris. We walk up to the waterfall and stand in our respected places near a jittery groom. The kids go to sit down with their fathers as Jill walks down the path holding a small bouquet of lotus flowers.

The vows are said beautifully and the officiate announces them husband and wife. They kiss each other and we all whoot obnoxiously.