‹ Prequel: Bus Stop
Sequel: So Close Yet So Far

Green Porcupine

Chapter 21

"Isn't Frankito coming?" I ask as we're about to leave Tre's Christmas Eve.

"No, he's going with Claudia to see her family," Tre says putting on his shoes. "Gifts!" he runs into the kitchen to get the gifts for Joey, Jakob and Estelle.
"Dad, come on, we're going to be late." Ramona calls out impatiently.

"Don't rush me; I want to make sure I'm perty!" Tre says in a hick voice. "And we're off."

We arrive at Billie's and Adie answers the door.

"Merry Christmas," she says happily.

"Feliz Navida," Tre says in a dorky voice.

"Merry Christmas Adie," I say as we walk in. Everyone is already sitting in the living room.

"So let's eat?" Adie suggests as we all head into the dining room.

"Hey Jill, how's married life?" I tease.

"It's fantastic," she says sticking out her tongue. "How's life as a groupie?"

"Great, all the rock star sex. Whoot!" I say laughing.

"I'll drink to that!" Adie says raising her glass.

"What so all this time you just stuck with us for the rock star sex?" Billie says pretending to be appalled.

"Well yeah what did you expect?" Adie jokes.

"Billie stop being such a hypocrite; we all know we only stay with them for the great groupie sex," Tre says evilly.

"I'm insulted!" Cassie says laughing.

"Thanks a lot guys, now I won't get any hot groupie sex tonight," Mike says crossing his arms.

"Like that would be the worst thing possible," Cassie says laughing.

"It really would be," Mike protests, "Well actually losing my genitals would be the worst thing."

"Don't worry; I thrive for rock star sex as much as you do for groupie sex," Cassie says patting Mike's leg.

"Damn I love this woman," Mike says loudly.

"Oh that's so sweet," James says in a mocking tone.

We spend a good part of the evening at the table, eating and drinking to our stomach's delight.

"Can we open gifts now?" Jakob pesters.

"Nope, you have to wait for midnight," Billie says slightly tipsy.

"How longs that?" Jakob asks.

"I'm not wearing a watch," Billie says looking down at his wrist.

"Two more hours, Jakey," I say messing up his hair.

"That's too far away," he whines.

"Not really, how about the four of you go watch a movie, by the end of the movie it should be midnight," Adie suggests.

"Fine," Jakob mutters as all the kids scamper off to the family room.

***

"Movie's over, can we open gifts now?" Joey asks with the rest of the children in tow.

"A few more minutes," Mike says looking at his watch. "Go watch some special features on the DVD."

"Okay," Joey says disappointed.

"Alright, time to execute my plan," Mike says mischievously.

"What are you going to do?" Cassie asks in mistrust.

"That my dear is a surprise," Mike says smoothly as he walks out of the dining room. A few minutes later Mike comes back in a Santa costume.

"Santa baby!" Cassie squeals.

"Kids, it's midnight!" Tre calls out.

"Oh yeah Santa, I've been naughty," James says laughing his head off.

"Shut-up," Mike says as the kids run into the dining room.

"Santa?" Jakob says with big eyes. "You're really tall."

"Did you lose weight?" Ramona asks looking at him intently.

"Yeah, I had to or else I couldn't fit through the chimney," Mike says in a jolly voice.

"Where are your glasses?" Jakob asks looking up at Mike.

"I left them in the North Pole; I didn't want to lose them."

"Can I see the reindeer?" Estelle asks happily.

"Hey, hey, hey what's with all the questions, don't you kids want presents?" Mike asks trying to change the subject. The children nod at his suggestion. Mike hands out the presents to the children and leaves the dining room.

"Adie what was in that turkey? It gave me the runs," Mike says coming back into the dining room in normal clothing.

"Ha ha ha. Very funny," Adie says rolling her eyes.

"Dad, you missed it! Santa came!" Estelle says happily.

"Damn! I guess I'll see him next year," Mike says pretending to be upset. Joey comes up to Mike and leans in.

"I know it was you," he says smugly.

"Don't tell the younger ones, and tell Ramona to do the same."

"Yeah, yeah," Joey says walking away.

"Little wise-ass," Mike mutters.

"That's m'boy!" Billie says laughing.

"So Cassie, what's it like to date THE Santa Claus?" I ask in a reporter voice.

"The packages are nice," Cassie says laughing.

"Dad I'm tired and Jakob keeps pinching me; can go home now?" Ramona asks tugging at Tre's arm.

"Yeah sure kid-o," Tre says picking her up. "Good bye jolly people!"

"See ya," I say getting up as well.

"Bye," everyone says looking up from their drinks.

We drive back to Tre's house.

"Claudia's not back yet?" I say realizing the absence of her car.

"No, they're staying the night at her mother's and they're coming back tomorrow morning," Tre says as we step out of the car. Tre opens the back passenger door and carries a sleeping Ramona to the house.

"So what time are we going to your parents tomorrow?"

"Around one o'clock," Tre says shrugging.

"Okay," I say as Tre places Ramona in her bed.