‹ Prequel: Bus Stop
Sequel: So Close Yet So Far

Green Porcupine

Chapter 23

"Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" Frankito pesters.
"If we were there the car wouldn't be moving." Ramona says rolling her eyes.
"Don't make me go back there." Tre says laughing.
"Then who will drive?" Frankito asks in a mocking tone.
"Bianca will hop into the driver's seat as soon as I jump back there." Tre says smugly.
"Okay, prove it." Ramona says evilly.
"No we don't like to show off." Tre says laughing.
"I think you're bluffing." Ramona says in a testing manor.
"Think what you like." I say evilly.

"Okay, we're here." Tre says pulling into a driveway. "Oh look your aunt Lori is already here.
"Right. Now I'm nervous." I say stepping out of the car.
"No worries they'll love you, unless they remember how you broke their little Tre's heart." Tre teases.
"What?!"
"I'm kidding, they'll love you." Tre says taking my hand. Frankito runs ahead of us and rings the door bell vigorously.
"Frankito, Ramona, you're getting so big, oh look at you." Tre's mother says kissing their cheeks like there was no tomorrow. "My goodness Frank, you've been touring far too long."
"Mom."
"I'm just saying, you have to start taking better care of yourself."
"This is Bianca." He says leading me forward.
"Oh she's pretty." She says trapping me in a hug, "I've heard so much about you."
"Really?" I say looking at Tre who shrugs.
"Come meet everyone." She says pulling me into the house. "This is Frank senior, that's Lori and her husband Will and their children should be around here somewhere."
"Hi." I say nervously.
"Hey." Lori says in a friendly voice. "You've really taken a toll on Franky-boy here."
"Oh really?" I ask amused that she called her brother Franky-boy.
"Yeah, you're all he ever talks about."
"And here I was thinking he only talked about how sexy his ass is." I say laughing.
"Well the whole ass thing goes without saying." Lori says rolling her eyes.
"Please stop talking to my sister before she tells you lies about me." Tre says between his teeth.
"Hey I don't lie!" Lori says mischievously. "So do you want to see Tre's baby pictures?"
"Sure." I say laughing.
"They'll be plenty of time later, right now we eat!" Tre's mom says leading us to the dining room.

"Your dad looks like Santa Claus." I whisper into Tre's ear as we take our seats.
"That's because he is Santa." Tre says rolling his eyes as if I'm the stupid one.
"So Bianca, Frank tells us you're a dancer." His mother says as she serves herself a spoonful of mashed potatoes.
"Yeah, I worked with the New York dance academy for a while then I moved onto Merce Cunningham." I say realizing only Lori gets what I'm talking about.
"Will and I saw a show by Merce Cunningham, but it was a few years back." Lori says casually.
"So you're a dancer, does that mean you eat a one fig and that lasts you a week?" Tre's father asks in a mocking tone.
"Hell no Dad! She eats almost as much as I do." Tre says smirking evilly.
"Where do you put it all? I mean I lived in the same house as Tre for sixteen years, I know how much he can eat!" Lori says in disbelief.
"I don't know, I guess I burn it off dancing." I say shrugging my shoulders.

The meal continues with more questions then when everyone sits back to digest.
"So Lori, you said something about Tre's baby pictures." I say laughing.
"No she didn't." Tre says quickly.
"Oh yeah I did." She says smirking evilly at her brother. She walks into the living room and comes back a few moments later with a blue photo album. She sits next to me and starts flipping through the pages.
"Tre you looked like a girl." I tease.
"I got your girl right here." He says grabbing his crotch.
"Frank!" his mother says angrily.
"Sorry Mom." He says quietly. Lori and I start giggling at some of Tre's school pictures. "Alright that's enough." He says closing the book and carrying it back to the living room.
"Awe you're no fun." I say jokingly.
"It's okay, you can go look at his room; Mom left it exactly the way he left it. Well not exactly, she cleaned it up a bit." Lori says getting up from the table.
"Its fine, I'll show her." Tre says pushing down on her shoulder causing her to sit back down.
"Hey boy-o, you know the rules, no girls in your bedroom." Frank senior says laughing.
"I think that rule expired." I say laughing.
"Damn straight." Tre says leading me up the stairs.

We walk into Tre's teenage room. Wall to wall posters of various bands, his bed had a plain blue comforter and a couple of pillows.
"Hmm, will I find your sock in here." I ask laughing.
"No I throw them out every so often." Tre says laughing.
"Nuddy mags." I say looking under his bed jokingly.
"Nope, took those with me when I left." I look around his room picking up various objects while Tre watches me with amusement. I walk over to his desk and pick up a picture.
"Hey Jill took this after my first dance competition." I say showing Tre.
"Oh yeah." He says fondly. The picture was of me and Tre outside the school, his arm was over my shoulders.
"Jeez you were anorexic." I say laughing.
"Hey!" he says pretending to be offended. I flip over the picture and see two sets of handwriting. The first (probably Jill's) "Tre and Bianca 1990" the second handwriting was without a doubt Tre's "Pixie- my dream girl."
"I'm your dream girl?" I ask thoughtfully.
"Yeah." He says wrapping his arms around my waist.
"Can I keep this?" I ask holding the photo close to me.
"No it's mine." He says in a childish voice. "You weren't even supposed to see it."
"Whoops." I say putting the photo in my shirt. "If you want it, come and get it!"
"Bianca, that's not ..." he knocks me over onto his bed. "Mine, mine, mine." He says as he reaches down my shirt to get his precious picture.
"Am I interrupting?" Lori asks as she knocks on the open door.
"Oh umm hi Lori." I say embarrassed.
"Go away and close the door." Tre says in a childish voice.
"In case you haven't noticed both your children and your parents are downstairs. Along with dessert." Lori says rolling her eyes.
"Dessert?! Why didn't you say so?" Tre says pushing me aside playfully and practically running out of his bedroom.