‹ Prequel: Bus Stop
Sequel: So Close Yet So Far

Green Porcupine

Chapter 5

I wake up the next morning and turn on my side and stare at Tre for a while.
"Old habits die hard I see." Tre mutters still in a sleepy state.
"What do you mean?"
"You watching me sleep; you used to do it when we were younger."
"It's just you look so peaceful when you sleep, it's like a different side of you." I start to giggle to myself.
"What?" Tre asks as he goes cross-eyed.
"Are things going to be awkward between us now?"
"No, why would they?" Tre says resting his weight on his elbow, "Is it because we had so much hot sex way back when and now we're doing it again?" I can't help but laugh,
"Yeah that and the fact this time around you only have one testy."
"It just makes it all the sexier." Tre laughs.
"Indeed."

The familiar ring of my cell phone is heard coming from my dresser. "I'll be back." I flip open my phone.
"Bianca, oh my gosh you'll never believe what just happened."
"Jill, just chill."
"James proposed!" she squeals.
"Congratulations! Jeez, why are you calling so early?"
"Oh we were up all night celebrating, just the two of us I mean growl, and James just fell asleep."
"Jill, Jill, Jill I know we've been friends forever but urgh! Too much info!" I say, slightly disgusted on the tone she was speaking in.
"Sorry."
"Hey Bianca, I'm trying on my old shorts." Tre calls over to me.
"Who . . . who was that? Was that Tre? What's he doing at your place so early? He spent the night didn't he?" Jill rambles on and on.
"No, it's no one, Jill you're imagining things." I say quickly.
"Oh no, that was Tre all right. Oh just wait till Adie hears about this!" Jill squeals in delight of the new topic of gossip she just picked up.
"No Jill!" All of a sudden the line goes dead.

I turn to Tre who's wiggling into his old shorts. "She hung up on me and she's going to tell everyone."
"Meh, so what if everyone knows, they'd all find out eventually. I'd give it about half an hour before the whole clan knows." Tre struggles with the front button, "Hmm, these are a lot snugger than I remember."
"Tre you had a bod of an anorexic back then, now you're built" I say rubbing his abs, I move my hands down to the waist line of the shorts and tug a little. "I like your chiseled muscles now, they're sexy."
"Oh yeah, like I was a total spastic freak." Tre says crossing his arms.
"Hey the anorexic look was great for you when you were eighteen, but these muscles suit you now."
"Well I'm going to shower now, will you join me?" he asks in a super-hero voice.
"No, I'll pass."
"Party pooper."
"You know it." Tre walks into the bathroom and commences to take his shower.

Just as the shower stops his cell phone rings.
"Tre! Your phone's ringing!"
"Then answer it! If you don't know who it is, say I got a sex change!" I shake my head laughing as I answer the phone.
"I can't believe you fucked her!" Billie's voice bellows out.
"Hi Bill, yeah he did fuck me, so how's your fucking life going."
"Oh, umm hi Bianca, I meant to say, I can't believe you two are back together."
"Sure." I say rolling my eyes.
"Adrienne wants to speak to you."
"So you and Tre together again." Adie teases me.
"Yes, I guess so." I say, annoyed.
"So how's sex with a man with one testicle." As she says this I hear Billie laugh uncontrollably in the background.
"ADIE!"
"That bad, huh?"
"No actually it's just as good as when he had two, maybe even better." Tre walks out of the bathroom.
"Oh, is that Adrienne." He asks happily.
"Yeah."
"Let me talk to her." He takes the phone out of my hand, "You're just jealous Billie is stuck with two." He turns off his phone and tosses it on the bed.
"So what are we doing today?" He asks moving his hands up and down my arms.
"Sorry, but we're not doing anything."
"Why not?" Tre whines.
"Well first I have to teach a class at the dance academy, and then I have an important rehearsal followed by an evening performance." I say as I flop on the bed exhausted just thinking about the day ahead.
"Since when do you teach?"
"I don't, I'm just a substitute teacher." I mutter as I drag myself to the washroom to take my shower. I start washing my hair when Tre walks into the washroom.
"Can I come with you?"
"You'll be bored to an inch of your sanity." I say laughing.
"Good, I've been meaning to lose that last inch." Tre says as he looks at himself in the mirror and pinching his stomach.
"Well I'm not stopping you." I say as I step out of the shower and Tre throws me a towel.

"Hello ladies." I say walking into the dance class.
"Hello Ms. Sylva." The class says in unison.
"Who's that?" a blond girl asks, pointing at Tre.
"This is Tre, he'll be watching today's dance class."
"Wait, are you Tre Cool? Like from Green Day?" an over-excited black haired girl asks.
"Well yes I am." Tre says proudly.
"Ms. Sylva, may I go get my Green Day CD for Tre to sign?" the black haired girl asks. I look over at Tre who's amused at how rowdy my class is getting at him being there.
"You have two minutes, if you take any longer Mr. Cool leaves." The girl runs out of the room at the speed of light.
"Oh, oh. Miss may I get mine too?" another girls asks.
"Okay girls, you have two minutes then class begins without interruption." The herd of girls runs out to their dorms.
"I hope you're happy" I say to Tre who's leaning smugly against the wall.
"Anything for the fans." The herd of girls run back into the classroom all of them holding American Idiot CDs.
"Girls! Leave your CDs with Mr. Cool and get into your line-ups." I say clapping my hands. The girls scurry into their assigned places in the classroom. I walk over to the CD player and put on a Beatles CD.
"Alright let's warm up, let's start with the arms." I say as I direct the class in the warm up.

"I feel sorry for you." Tre says in a childish voice as we walk out of the dance academy.
"Why?"
"So many teenies!"
"They're not so bad." I say shrugging my shoulders, "Besides I only teach about once a month."
"So where are we going now?" Tre says as he sits next to me in my car.
"Umm, lunch then I have my own rehearsal to go to." I say as I drive down the street.
"Oh, can we have pizza?!" Tre exclaims.
"Sure." I say making a U-turn to head towards Annabella's Pizzeria. After we eat the pizza, I grab for the bill.
"Tut, tut. I'll pay." Tre says slapping my hand like a pansy. We drive to the studio where my rehearsal's being held, before we walk in Tre stops me.
"There aren't any teenies in there, right?"
"No, plus I'd be surprised if any of them know anything about punk rock music let alone Green Day." I say opening the door.
"Oh, did Gretchen add a dancer?" a fellow dancer named Karen asks.
"No, besides he can't be a dancer, look at his frame." Roberto says pointing at Tre.
"Hey, I happen to have a very sexy frame!" Tre says pouting.
"I agree completely, just not a dancer's frame." Roberto says looking Tre over.
"People, this is Tre, my boyfriend. He just came to watch." I say rolling my eyes.
"No one said we would be watched!" Emily says in a state of panic.
"Don't worry, he doesn't know much about dance so he won't judge you." I say putting down my bag and starting to stretch.
"I know you're awesome at it!" Tre says a bit too loudly.
"Oh he's sweet, I have to drag my boyfriend just to see the final show." Karen mutters. Tre just laughs. The rehearsal ends early so Tre and I head back to the apartment.

"What time is your show thingy at?" Tre says as he helps himself to the television.
"Well it's five now so in one hour." I say as I sit on his lap.
"What's for supper?" Tre asks. I shrug my shoulders, I usually have just a sandwich before a show."
"I don't like sandwiches." Tre states as he crosses his arms.
"Come to think of it I don't really like the typical sandwich either, I usually have a hotdog sandwich."
"Hot dog sandwich." Tre asks as he raises his eyebrows.
"I'll make you one too." I say getting up and walking into the kitchen. I pull some hotdogs out of the fridge and into the oven. Tre walks into the kitchen and watches me silently. I put some bread into the toaster and pull out various toppings from the fridge; cheese, pickles, mustard, barbecue sauce, and olives. I put together two sandwiches and hand one over to Tre. He looks at it for a second and takes a bite.
"This is pretty damn good." He mutters with his mouth full of food.
"Told ya so!" I tease.