Green Day, Why Am I In Your Room?

Chapter 16

By two am the party had finally begun to slow down. Billie was one of many who had looked like they had drunk a little too much. While Adrienne tried to keep control of her stumbling and slurring husband, I sidled back up to Tash, wrapping an arm around her waist and pulling her close.

"Are you alright?" I murmured into her ear, brushing aside a few strands of stray hair.

She sighed, looking in the direction of where Billie was attempting to persuade Adrienne to dance. "I guess so," she said softly. She turned to face me, her green eyes serious. "Tre, I'm really sorry I didn't tell you earlier, but it was your big night and I..." Her words trailed off.

I paused, trying to ignore the ominous feeling bubbling in the pit of my stomach. Where was the guarantee that she wouldn't lie to me again?

I took both her hands in mine. "Tash, you have to promise me that you won't keep anything like this secret again."

She lowered her gaze, giving a small nod while biting the corner of her lip. "You don't deserve someone like me... I keep fucking up."

Cupping her chin in my hand, I leant forward to kiss her tender lips. "You're more than I could ever, ever ask for."

I glanced back in the direction of where Billie was now telling anybody nearby about the Church of Lushology, while Adrienne struggled to keep him standing upright. I smiled. "Last year, that would have been me pissed, trying to drown my loneliness." Tash's deep green eyes looked into mine sympathetically. "But not now," I continued firmly. "Not when I've got you."

Her eyes drifted off into the distance. "Last year, I thought I was happy. Matt loved me, I loved him..." She shook her head in what looked to be a combination of frustration and sadness.

I squeezed her hand tightly. "Come on! We're at the afterparty of a Grammy's night where we won four awards. We need to lighten up! How about we head back to the hotel?"

She nodded, giving a small smile. "I'd like that."

We bid the others farewell and caught a cab back to our hotel. Once inside, Tash headed to the bathroom to have a shower while I slowly changed out of my suit and into shorts and a t-shirt. The exhiliaration that I had been running on at the Grammys had finally begun to wear off.

Tash soon emerged from the bathroom makeup-less and dressed in her pajamas, a towel slung around her neck.

A rose from the bed and directed to the mini-bar close to me. "Care for a drink?"

"Tre, it's three in the morning!"

I grinned. "Pfft, it's only champagne." I poured her a glass and flopped down on the bed beside her. She gave a relieved sigh, closing her eyes and taking a sip from the glass.

"Tonight's been a massive blur," she groaned, "and I'm not even that tired."

I placed my glass on the table beside me, wriggling closer and whispering in her ear. "What do you say we... celebrate on our own?"

Tash obliged, she too putting down her glass and moving her face closer to mine. I leant forward, taking my time to passionately kiss her on the lips, before rolling her over so I was on top. My hands slowly moved to the hem of her shirt, expecting her to do the same for me.

When she didn't, I faltered. She bit her lip again, looking back up at me uncertainly.

"What now?" I asked indignantly, getting more and more frustrated by the minute. Couldn't I have some affectionate time with the one I loved after such a massive night?

She avoided my penetrating gaze, her body becoming increasingly tense under mine. I watched her hands move away from me, as though I were some kind of disease. "I - I - it... it doesn't feel... right."

"Why not?" I demanded. "You've been perfectly happy to do it before!"

She bit her lip. "I can't act all... normally. Not now."

I gaved her a bewildered look.

"I lied to you," she whispered. "I don't - "

"Tash! I'm fucking over it!" I exlaimed, trying to ignore the pressing feeling inside of me that told me I wasn't over it. "Can't you be over it too? Can't we move on?"

"It just... doesn't... feel right - "

"Alright then, if you're scared you'll fall pregnant again just deal with abstinence," I said angrily, moving myself to the other side of the large bed and turning away so I wasn't facing her. "I just wanted to celebrate with you," I added in a hurt voice.

"Tre, I didn't mean it like that..."

"Goodnight, Tash." I flicked off the lamp, refusing to say another word.