Green Day, Why Am I In Your Room?

Chapter 17

If I said the next morning wasn't awkward, I would have been lying. While although no mention was made of the previous night, it was obvious both Tre and I were being troubled by our niggling consciences. We drank our morning coffees in silence, only really using our voices once we met with the others to make our way to the airport.

Adrienne, despite having a husband grumpy from a hangover to deal with was bright and cheery when we met in the hotel lobby. Her smile faltered however once she noticed the obvious tension between Tre and I.

While the guys returned their keys she pulled me aside by my elbow hastily. "What's with you and Tre?" she whispered, her brown eyes flicking over my face. "You both look like you're ready to verbally abuse the other at any moment."

"Yeah well I don't fucking blame him," I whispered back, lowering my gaze. "I didn't want to sleep with him last night and he took it the wrong way. I should've just done it, anyway, he has a right to be mad with all the shit I've caused."

She raised an eyebrow suspiciously. "That doesn't sound right. I mean, not Tre, but you. Why didn't you want to?" She gave a sly smile.

"Adie," I groaned, throwing my head back in annoyance. I lowered my voice. "It - it just didn't feel alright, okay? I mean... I thought it would take a little longer for him to forgive me and I didn't want it to seem like there was only thing I wanted from him."

"Tash, it was just a failed pregnancy test and you were too scared to tell him. It's done now, he's ready to move on and now you have to be too. You were in an expensive hotel room together, alone, and after an extremely successful night for Green Day and after a few drinks. He was feeling good, and he wanted to share the feeling with you. Plus, you looked gorgeous that night."

"No I didn't," I said automatically, shaking my head.

She rolled her eyes. "He couldn't keep his eyes off you! You didn't see him before he found you. I don't think any girl has made him like this. Tre's like a brother to me - I've known him for a long time and seen how his previous relationships affected him. You're different, Tash. In an entirely different way."

"But what do I do now?" I asked desperately.

"You're going to have to tell him that you're sorry about what happened last night - and promise not to lie to him again! How do you think it makes him feel when you can't tell him anything?"

I nodded sadly. A wave of regret seemed to wash over me - it was so stupid. How could I have let Tre down like that? He didn't deserve me to be acting like this. At all.

On that note we all made our way to the airport in a couple of taxis. The usually short trip dragged on longer than it should have; my head was constantly filled with pleas to just turn to Tre and explain everything. It was the same all through our baggage and security checks - not until just before boarding the plane did I finally get everything out of the way.

"Tre," I said gently, tugging at his arm sleeve and allowing Mike and Brittney to board the plane before us, "we need to talk."

He sighed, his crystal blue eyes serious. "Yeah, we do."

I took a deep breath, not only scared at the thought of having to let everything out, but at the thought I'd forget something. "Tre, I'm sorry about last night. I'm sorry for not telling you - I'll never be able to tell you how sorry I am for that. Sorry for probably ruining your night. I love you, I really do, and I'm sorry I keep messing with you like this."

He took one of my hands and gave it a tight squeeze. "Promise not to keep anything like this secret? For real?"

"Yes," I said honestly, squeezing his hand back. I leant forward and kissed him, savouring the familiar feeling of his lips upon mine. "And now we can leave this entire disaster behind with the Grammys, however good they were too."

Tre smiled. "Sounds like a good idea." Still holding my hand, he led me onto the plane, back home to Oakland.

Here's hoping I wouldn't fuck up again.