Green Day, Why Am I In Your Room?

Chapter 3

I walked into my wardrobe. Every thing was exactly as I had left it. I bit my lip, not sure as to where I had to go from here. My future was so uncertain, and so was I.

Tre came up behind me. "Shit - how much stuff do we have to take back?"

I shook my head, just as unsure as he was. "I think all I'll need is my clothes."

Tre walked over to a nearby table. He picked up a dusty trophy and looked at in amazement.

"You never told me you horse rode," he said softly, gently dusting off the dust.

"Yeah - when I was a teenager I just rode all the time. Its been ages since I've ridden though. My whole life kind of interfered with it...especially with university and Matt and stuff." Tre handed the trophy to me. It was chipped from years of having been moved around carelessly. I smiled, remembering all the times I had enjoyed on a horse's back.

"Do you miss it?" Tre asked.

"I haven't really had time to miss it," I grinned. "But when I worked here I hung around with horses all day long. Its in my blood, I guess."

Tre fell silent. He obviously wondered how I would be with life with him.

"Let's pack this stuff." I grabbed the old trophies, some random knick-knacks and some clothes and brought it out into my bedroom where I hastily stuffed some boxes.

Tre was taking his time, carefully placing it all in.

"Tre, honestly, this stuff is worthless. I couldn't care less if it all broke."

He smiled, but conitnued to pack it neatly anyway.

Around an hour later I slumped back on my bed, having packed away all the other stuff in boxes in my cupboards.

Tre had a cheeky smile on his face. He continued to look at me intently.

"What??" I asked indignantly.

"Oh, nothing," he said simply. "You're so cute when you're tired."

I replied by throwing my pillow at him. Soon enough it had turned into a fully-fledged pillow fight.

We were interrupted by a knock at the door.

"I'll get it," I said hastily, jumping down from my bed and running to the front door.

"Um - hi," I said, looking at the postman standing in front of me.

He handed me a small package.

"You're requested to sign this," he informed me, handing over a clipboard. I quickly signed it, looking at him in bewilderment.

"Um - what is this?"

He simply shrugged his shoulders. "It's only my job to deliver them. I have no idea what it is."

I nodded slowly. "Uh - thanks anyway," I said, before he nodded in acknowledgement and heaed off.

I closed the door, and quickly read the paper package. I didn't recognise the address - marked on the envelope were the words 'CATUION: Valuable goods.'

Who would send me valuable goods?

I tore of the top and pulled out a velvet rectangular box. Much like the ones used to hold jewellery.

"What the..." I whispered to myself. I opened it - inside was a beautiful golden necklace, complete with a diamond pendant. And a note lying next to it -

Tash - please forgive me.
I've been a complete bastard and I know it. Just please - can we end all this hate between us?
-Matt


I stared at the letter in shock for a few minutes. He was trying to reconcile with me? I moved my gaze to the necklace again. So he had to buy me expensive jewellery to win me back now?

I heard Tre's footsteps and quickly hid the box behind my back.

"Who was that?" he asked, his faze genuinely puzzled.

"Oh - um...it was the postman. Just an early birthday - erm...thing from a friend."

"Can I see?" he asked.

"Um - you know what? I'm really thirsty. How about you?" I winced inwardly at my abrupt change of subject.

"Yeah - sure."

He went into the kitchen ahead of me. I quickly shoved the box into the small dresser by the front door, before following him into the kitchen.

I didn't know why I was hiding it from Tre - and I didn't know what it meant either.