Life to Live

Life to Live (Chapter Four)

A white flash of metal flew in out of nowhere, knocking the gun from Janus’s hand. He flinched and yanked his hand back into his cloak, hissing.

“What in the name of Heaven?”

Solaire smiled, eyes closed. He had been expecting a gunshot, but this was fine with him as well.

“Arianne,” Janus whispered, “you nearly took my hand off.”

Solaire didn’t open his eyes, because he didn’t need to. He could feel her presence, as if she was radiating an aura of warmth.

However, he had to if he wanted to know what was going on.

Looking up, he saw Arianne standing there, tall and beautiful, the true angel. She was holding a long white sword that matched her wings in brilliance and beauty.

The Avenging Angel.

She was glaring at Janus darkly, looking as a mother wolf would if a danger had threatened her cubs.

Janus simply stood there, composed and calm. He was gazing at Arianne levelly, face impassive and expressionless.

Solaire, looking around the room, caught sight of the little girl, still sleeping quietly in her bed. Apparently none of this had woken her up.

“Janus,” Arianne hissed, clearly trying to keep her temper under control, “you had no right to try and kill him.”

“I know, my lady,” Janus responded, still cool and calm as ever.

Solaire felt a rush of relief. So he would be spared after all?

“Killing him,” Arianne whispered, her voice trembling, “is my duty.”

…why is life unfair, Solaire asked himself.

Arianne turned from Janus to Solaire, her face a mask of pain, fear, uncertainty. The last was strongest in the beautiful countenance Solaire so loved.

“Solaire,” she whispered. “I’m so sorry.”

He nodded, not trusting himself to speak. What could he say?

“I thought you would kill her,” she whispered, “but you didn’t. And I understand why you didn’t, but now…”

“Now you have to kill me, instead of him,” Solaire finished, indicating Janus. Arianne nodded, her mask now tragic and pained.

“You have one last chance,” Arianne whispered. “Will you kill her and join me in Heaven, or will you turn your back on the Gates and spend your life in Purgatory?”

Her piteous words, so pleading, nearly broke Solaire’s resolve, but he remained firm.

“I can’t put her mother through what I went through, losing you,” he murmured. “I can’t do it.”

She nodded, understandingly. “I know.”

Arianne raised her sword, pointing it at Solaire’s heart. She closed her eyes, stepped forward, and rammed the sword through his chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rawr...lsdihflahh *headkeyboard* ...randomness!