A Modern Myth

Chapter 2

I turned over the next morning, expecting to feel a warm body I could snuggle up to; but instead all I felt was the cold, unforgiving-ness of my empty sheets. I sat up, holding up the sheet, so it would cover me and looked around. I noticed his clothes were gone. I sighed and fell back on my bed. My nose started to tingle like it always does when I start to cry and a huge lump formed in my throat. Did you really think he would stay around?
I wiped a tear away from my face. I guess I wanted some form of love so bad that I didn’t think about the repercussions. I was humiliated and I felt used almost. I let this happen. I sighed and got up to put on some clothes. It felt weird lying there naked. After I put on my clothes, I made my way downstairs, disappointed, and walked into my kitchen.
“Holy shit!” I yelped at the sight of someone sitting there with a newspaper in their face. They put it down and I saw that it was Alex, completely shirtless, with a cup of coffee. Suddenly, I was filled with a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.
“Alex. You stayed.” I was completely shocked. He raised an eyebrow at me.
“Of course I stayed. You thought I left?” He folded the paper in half. I saw his hair was still disheveled or had it always looked like that? I nodded slowly and he put his paper down. He got up and came over to me. He put his hands on my hips and pressed his forehead to mine. I wasn’t that much shorter than him so he didn’t have to lean down that much.
“I wouldn’t leave you. I’m nicer than that.” He smiled and I laughed at his words. I leaned up and kissed him. He pulled away and looked into my eyes. I noticed he had these gorgeous, cobalt, blue eyes and they could stare into you like they were boring a hole into your soul, yet it didn’t feel like a hole to me. It felt as if his eyes were digging out a place in my heart where he would stay for a long time, longer than I knew at the moment.
I wrapped my arms around his bare torso and laid my head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around me. I closed my eyes and turned my head so the side of my head was against the side of his face. I inhaled his scent. He smelled good. I kissed his shoulder. I felt him smile. I buried my face into the side of his neck. He pulled away and kissed me. His lips fit to mine almost like a puzzle piece. I smiled into the kiss and he pulled away and leaned his forehead against mine again.
This boy was different and somehow I knew it. Somehow I knew he meant something to me and I meant something to him, though I just couldn’t place it. I placed my hands on the back of his neck and kissed him again. Suddenly, the phone rang and we both jumped. We started to laugh.
“One moment,” I smiled and ran upstairs to grab my phone. I saw it was Michelle. I answered right away.
“Hey,” I said, smiling.
“Hey. Why are you so happy?” I rolled my eyes and walked back downstairs. Alex was sitting back down and drinking the coffee he made.
“How do you know I’m happy?” I mused, smiling even wider. She huffed.
“Eve. I know when you’re happy. What’s going on?” I laughed and poured myself a cup of coffee.
“Well, I met this boy.” My eyes flickered over to Alex. He looked up at me as he took a drink of his coffee. I could feel her get excited through the phone.
“Well!? Tell me about him.” I smiled and blushed.
“Well, he’s really cute. He has these gorgeous blue eyes and he’s Russian.” I heard her giggle. Alex raised an eyebrow.
“He’s Russian, eh? Of course you would find a Russian,” she said. I waved Alex off.
“Yeah, I know. Look I have got to go, kay?” She giggled loudly again.
“I bet he’s there now. Okay, I’ll let you two go. Bye!” She hung up and I slid my phone shut. I put it down on the table and took a drink of my coffee.
“Who was that,” Alex asked. I smiled.
“It was my friend Michelle. She’s really…giggly.” Alex nodded and took my hand over the table. I moved to the seat next to him, so he didn’t have to reach as far.
“So what do you do for a living? You’re very… fit, so you obviously play some sort of sport and judging by the fact that I’ve seen you on the television, you’re professional. So which sport and what team?” He looked at me a bit bewildered, but he quickly formed a smile.
“This is why I like you,” he said, “You don’t know who I am.” I smiled at him. At this point I didn’t care who he was. I liked him and his personality and that’s all that mattered. “Well, I play hockey,” he paused, I nodded, encouraging him to go on, “and I play for the Washington Capitals as a right wing. I’m number eight, the great Alexander Ovechkin.” I smiled and nodded.
“I’ve always wanted to date a hockey player.” He beamed at me. I smiled and took a sip of my coffee.
“It’s so refreshing to have a girl that’s not … obsessed with me. My last girlfriend… ugh. She wouldn’t stop bragging about me to her friends.” I nodded and took a drink of my coffee.
“So, we’re going out now?” I gave him a playfully suspicious look. He looked distraught.
“Is that not okay with you? Do you want me to take it slower?” He looked concerned and a bit disappointed. I laughed.
“No, you’re fine. Good and fast, that’s how I like it.” There was silence for a second before we both started to laugh. After the laughter died down, we looked back at each other. “I can’t wait to get back into hockey again. I’ve missed it so much.” Alex nodded. I felt him rub his thumb over the back of my hand. I flinched and pulled my hand away. A concerned look fell across Alex’s features.
“What’s wrong?” I sighed and smiled.
“Nothing.. It’s… Nothing.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, I know what you're thinking... Not really I just blatantly lied. LOL No, anyway; I know it's starting to get a bit...silly, but you have to keep reading. I promise it'll get better! There are lots of surprises. :) Comment please!