The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter Ten: One Month

I woke up early one Saturday morning, feeling as if today was an important day. I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was, so I just pushed the nagging feeling to the back of my mind. Bombalurina was laying by my feet, purring when she noticed I was awake.

"Hi, pretty," I crooned to her, rubbing her back. Two soft mews made me smile and reach past her, towards Jemima and Demeter, her two kittens.

"Oh goodness, you're all just so cute! Look at you, with your wittle paws, and your itsy bitsy bodies, and your sweet wittle eyes that haven't yet opened! Oh I just love you all!"

I was silenced when a pillow hit my in the back of the head. "Shut it! Some of us are trying to sleep!" Pansy snapped at me.

Grinning evilly, I climbed from my bed and began dancing around hers, singing. "Here comes the sun, little darling! Here comes the sun, and I say it's alright! Na-nana-na-nana-na-nana-na-duh-duh-duh!"

"Are you doing drugs? Because you know you could get expelled for that." She didn't sound upset at all at the prospect of me getting expelled. Sheesh, touchy people were mean.

"No, I'm not on drugs. But it's morning and it's Saturday and the birds are chirping! Oh, except one that got smashed by the Whomping Willow. Poor guy... But still, the snow is beautiful, we have no work to do, and Hogsmeade! Up, up, up! Time to get ready and go," I sang cheerfully.

"Fine. You're completely demented, you know that?" Pansy grudgingly crawled out of her bed.

"Yes, but it's fun!"

"Stop singing! You're like a bloody cuckoo-clock from hell!"

"Oh stop griping and go get dressed. We have a big day ahead of us! Now, would you like to come to town with me and Draco -or rather, Draco and myself, in proper grammar- or are you going with someone else?" As I spoke, I was stripping, putting on something cute to wear for the Hogsmeade trip. Was that what was important? No, it must be something else.

"I think I'll find someone else to go with," she called from the bathroom.

"Okay, have fun! Bye now!" I was dressed, and all I really had to do was brush my hair, so now I was ready to go.

When I got to the common room, Draco was waiting for me as always. "Do you know we could hear your singing from out here? Pansy was right when she called you bloody demented."

"Hi, Draco, it's wonderful to see you too," I said.

He rolled his eyes and smiled at me. "Good morning, my demented beauty."

"Aw, even when you're being mean you're sweet! Hey, can we bring--"

"No. We are not bringing your cats to Hogsmeade."

I pouted at that. "Why not? They would love it! Alright fine, no cats. Could I bring Mor?"

"Mor?"

"My owl! It's short for Morgana. You know, king Arthur's half sister, supposedly part fairy, the whole story."

"No animals, Riley. Just you and me."

"And the buff-- I mean uh your henchmen?"

"No, they're going with Pansy."

"Oh, oh!!"

"Oh, no. What?"

"Can I bring Ginny??" The icy stare he gave me was harsh enough to make me cringe and shake my head. "Um yeah, never mind. Just you and me, right?"

"Good. Now let's get down to breakfast and then we can go."

"Okie dokie!"

"Sometimes, you worry me," he muttered as we walked to the Great Hall together.

♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥♪♫♪♫♥

At Hogsmeade, Draco led me to Honeydukes and bought all kinds of sweets, mostly ones that I liked, I noticed. Then, he lead me to The Three Broomsticks, got us each a butter beer, and we sat down to enjoy the sweets and the warm drinks. It wasn't until then that I remembered what today was. Our one month anniversary. Oh frick. I hadn't gotten anything for Draco.

"Protocol demands that I give you a gift today, so here." He nonchalantly handed over a long and narrow velvety blue box, but I could see in his eyes that he wanted me to like it. Slowly, I lifted the lid on the box and saw a beautiful silver necklace with a crescent moon charm, studded with sapphires that I was ninety-nine percent sure were real.

"Draco! It's absolutely gorgeous!"

"I know you love the moon, and sapphires, so when I saw it, I bought it and hoped you'd like it."

"I do! It's perfect!" I beamed at him, and he came around the table to help me put it on. "Look, your gift is-"

"No, don't get me a gift. If you already got one, return it. One day every month, I'm going to spoil you rotten, and that means you can't give me a gift in return or it would ruin the spoiling. So no gifts for me, alright?" He smiled at me, and I sighed and nodded.

"Alright, fine. You won't get any gifts. Honestly, who knew you could be so charming and sweet?"

"Tell anyone and the cats are gone," he warned.

I pouted, but nodded. "Fine, I'll keep it a secret that you're really just a softy underneath the icy front."

We walked around outside for a bit, talking about everything and nothing. Then, he took me into the Owl Post, not so he could send a letter, but so I could play with the owls.

"Aw, Draco, you know me too well! Hi there! I love you, yes I do! Look at your pretty wings and your shiny beak and those wee black eyes! Aren't you so precious?!" I was petting a pretty tawny owl, and he ruffled is feathers cheerfully at my loving attention.

"Riley, I think you've gone bonkers," Draco told me, but he was smiling at me.

"Bye, bye pretty! I have to go now, but I'll try to come back next week and see you. Bye, Mr. Birdy!"

"Alright, what do you want to do now?" he asked me as we walked around Hogsmeade some more.

"Oh! Let's go see the Shrieking Shack! I bet it's wonderful, all haunted and stuff." So we made our way to the Shrieking Shack.

"Would you actually ever go in there?" he asked me.

"Of course I would! I doubt it's really haunted, and even if it is, I'm good with ghosts and poltergeists." I knew, of course the real reason it was called the shrieking shack, but I couldn't tell him that. I didn't know because of Harry, Ron, and Hermione though. I knew because I know Sirius and Remus. But nobody knows that I know them.

"Yeah, I'd go in there too." He sounded pretty unconvincing, but I didn't tease him about it. Instead, I picked up some snow, rolled it into a ball, and pelted Draco on the back of the head with it.

"Tag! You're it!" And thus, our snow battle ensued. It was bloody, and I lost most of my men, but I also managed to take all of his out. (We had made armies of snow men during the battle.)

Draco stopped, holding up his hands. "Alright, peace, truce, whatever. You've already whipped me at this, so I might as well give in."

I grinned in triumph. "Ha! Victory is mine!" I did a little victory dance, ignoring the way Draco was laughing at me. With a sweet smile on my face, I pelted him with one last snowball, right in the face.

"Oh, you little sneak!" He leaped and tackled me to the ground, causing me to shriek in surprise.

"Ack! I'm sorry, just get off!" I was laughing, though, not actually minding our scenario.

"No, this is my victory, and I will not give it up."

"Fine, fine. Alright, victorious one, what are you going to do with your captive damsel in distress?"

"Well, I was thinking something like this." He pressed his lips to mine, his blue eyes smoldering flames of ice. We stayed there like that for another five minutes at least, but eventually the cold won and we got up, ready to return to Hogwarts.