The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter eleven: Letters

January soon bled into February, snow falling, melting, and falling again throughout the days. On February 9th, a black blur landed next to my pumpkin juice, almost knocking it over. I recognized it immediately as my owl, Morgana.

"Hey, Mor! What have you got for me?" I pulled the letter from her leg, giving her head a fond scratch as I read it.

Dear Riley,
I hope you are well. I write you under urgent business, and I beg you to consider my words. What I ask of you is hard, especially for such a young girl, but I know you can do it. You're special, after all. Before I confuse you, let me get to the point of my letter.

We have received intelligence that you and the Malfoy boy are together. I'm not going to tell you it would be in your best interests to dump him because I know you won't listen to me. Instead, I'm going to ask you to do something possibly harder.

We all agree with Dumbledore that Voldemort will rise again, one day probably soon. The Malfoys, as I'm sure you know, were once well known for being big supporters of Lord Voldemort. What I ask you to do is to keep an eye on Draco, stay by his side as you normally would, but watch for signs that his family is preparing for Voldemort's rise.

I know this is hard, because I'm asking you to spy on your boyfriend and his family, but it is crucial that we have someone else on the inside to help us in case Voldemort rises again. You do not have to answer immediately, but a fast response would be preferred.

I remain, no matter what you choose, your faithful friend.


The letter was signed with a large 'M', and I knew who it was. Moony.

"Who wrote you?" Draco asked out of mild curiosity. I could tell he wasn't all that interested, for which I was thankful.

"Just my mom. She's going to London, so she asked me if I wanted her to pick anything up for me."

"That's nice," he said, but he wasn't really listening. He was reading the Daily Prophet, leaving me free to mull over Moony's words. Should I do it? Could I? Could I really spy on my boyfriend for Moony and the others? I sighed softly, deciding not to really do anything about it just yet.
During Potions later that day, I wrote my response to Moony.

Dear M,
Wow. What you ask of me is difficult, to say the least. I find myself conflicted over what to do. On the one hand, I do want to help, and I want to say I'd do anything to make sure we know when Voldemort is rising ahead of time so we can be prepared. But on the other hand, I really care for Draco, and to spy on him, to pretend that everything's normal when indeed I'm sending you word about him and his family, well that all seems wrong to me.

I know you said I should get back to you as soon as possible with my answer, but I need time to think it over. For now, just accept that I'll keep my eyes and ears pealed for anything suspicious, but I won't actually spy on them. That might be all I can do for you. I'm sorry if this inconveniences you.

Your ever loyal friend,
Riley.


"Miss Carson. I certainly hope you're paying attention, and not, as it appears, writing a letter to someone." I looked up, biting my lip when I realized Professor Snape was standing near my desk.

"Yes, Professor, I am paying attention. I was just writing notes so that I won't forget any of this."

"Very well," he said, and walked off,. I breathed a sigh of relief, silently glad I was in his house because otherwise that never would have worked.

"Who were you writing to?" Draco asked me softly.

"My mom. I was just responding to her, asking her to get me a couple new quills and some ink."

"Ah, I see." He believed me utterly, and a twinge of guilt hit my stomach, but I ignored it.

Dear Riley,

I understand your hesitance at this task. Believe me, I really do. For now, what you have agreed to do is perfectly acceptable. All I ask is that you keep an eye on them, make sure they don't do anything overly suspicious. I know that I ask a lot of you, both as a young girl and as Draco's girlfriend, but it is important. Much thanks that you've agreed to do at least that little bit, which we greatly appreciate.

(P.S. Don't you think you could be doing better than the Malfoy boy? Just saying. Love Snuffles.)

Sorry about Snuffles... He demanded I let him add that last bit. I hope you're faring well.
I remain, dear girl, your faithful friend.

M.


I chuckled softly that night at dinner when I read Snuffles' little addition to the letter. How like him to tell me that, and to force Moony to let him add it into the letter. Pushing my plate to the side, I got out some parchment and began writing a response.

Dear M,

Thank you for understanding that all I can do for now is just watch and listen, and not actually spy. And hey, don't underestimate me just because I'm young. I'm stronger than you seem to think.

(P.S. Snuffles, perhaps you should go sniff up another tree and leave my love life alone. I think he's good enough for me, so you should agree. Or at least accept it. And no, I'm NOT going to date Harry. Ever. Sorry to ruin your dreams, but that's how it is. Love, Riley.)

M, I'll send you a care package for your next PMS so you have a little treat after it's over.

Your ever loyal friend,

Riley


"You and your mum must be on really great terms," Draco commented.

"Huh? Why? Oh, right, because we keep on writing each other. Yeah, sometimes we get bored and just write back and forth for awhile, and then we'll stop, and then we'll pick it up again... It's just an endless cycle." Again, I felt a bit guilty for lying to him, but I knew I had no other choice.

"So what about your dad? You always talk about your mum, but never your dad."

"Oh. He died. My first year here, the werewolf Greyback, got him. He was gonna get me and my mom, so dad defended us, and he was killed."

"Oh. Well. I'm sorry."

"Draco, you don't have to look so awkward now. I'm fine. I've learned to accept it and move on."

"Oh. Yes. Good." He still looked awkward, perhaps more awkward than was absolutely necessary, but I didn't dwell on it.

"Come on, time for bed." I grabbed his hand and lead him through the crowd of people walking back to the common rooms, weaving my way through the people. That night, for the first time in many months, I dreamed about my father again.