The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter Eighteen: Silver and blue and green! Oh, my!

The next day, I sat at Gryffindor's table for all of my meals. A couple times, it looked like Professor McGonnagall was going to come over and tell me to go back to my own table, but each time she started to get up, I'd give her a pleading look and she would sit back down, looking slightly annoyed but otherwise fine with my new seating arrangements.

At dinner, I felt something small press against my ankle. Curious, I looked down to see Draco's green rabbit. 'Accidentally', I dropped my fork and bent down to pick it up. As I did, the rabbit crawled onto my shoulder and I used my hair to hide it from the others at the table.

"Master Draco wishes to remind you of the meeting in the Room of Requirements tonight at 11p.m. He wants to make sure you are still able to attend," the tiny voice chirped in my ear. Having sent his message, the bunny dissipated.

Discretely making my little blue mouse appear in my lap, I leaned over to wipe off my fork, and while doing so, I whispered my reply into the mouse's ear so he could give it to Draco. "I remember our meeting, and look forward to it. See you at 11." The mouse scurried away, thankfully unnoticed by anyone but me.

I ate the rest of my dinner in silence, smiling faintly to myself, anxious to meet Draco in the ROR. As the time ticked by slowly, I found myself growing impatient for 11. Finally, dinner ended, and we all made our ways to our common rooms. Waving bye to Ginny and going over to the rest of my house, I hung back a bit. Thankfully, none of them even payed any attention to me, so I was able to slowly start putting more and more space between me and them. Eventually, they were far ahead of me, going down the stairs, and I was sneaking off the other way, going up.

It took me awhile to get to the ROR because Filch and Mrs. Norris were patrolling the hallways, and i had to dodge around Peeves without getting caught, but finally I made it. Silently, I entered the room that was already there, barely visible against the wall. As I looked around the room, I knew Draco had already arrived.

The room was cast in shadows but not too dark because tons of candles took away some of the gloom. There were pillows, sofas, and chairs everywhere, all of them looking immensely comfortable. The ceiling was made of glass planes, showing the bright stars and half-moon above, occasional clouds drifting by and covering it. It was beautiful.

"I hate your bloody friends," Draco's voice growled from the far side of the room. I spun around to face that direction, startled because I hadn't noticed him. At first, I still couldn't see him, until I realized he was sitting in a chair shrouded in darkness.

"Why, what did they do? And why are you sitting in the dark, all lonely and hidden?" He didn't answer, but I could almost feel the annoyance pulsing off of him. Picking up a candle, I began walking towards him. "Which friends do you hate?"

"Fred and George." His voice was harder than usual as he spoke their names, making me wonder what they'd done to him.

"Once again, I ask, what did they do?"

He didn't answer me as I walked closer, holding the candle in front of me. When I was standing right in front of him, I noticed something odd about his hair. It was shining in the light, not like normal hair does, but like it was glittery.

"Uh Draco... Is there glitter in your hair?"

"Not quite. My hair has been dyed silver, thanks to your two damn friends."

"They dyed it silver? Why?"

"Because of you."

"What?"

"They were angry that I'd hurt you, so they got their revenge."

"Aw, that's so sweet! I mean, of course it's terrible that they attacked you and dyed your hair, but the thought was nice." I was fighting back a fit of giggles, trying not to let him hear the laugh in my voice.

"I don't care what their intentions were. My hair is silver."

"Look, you probably can't tell anyways. I mean your hair is silvery-white anyways, so you probably won't even notice."

He abruptly got up and walked across the room, flicking his wand and lighting all the candles in the room. I blinked in surprise, my eyes adjusting to the sudden light in the room. As my vision cleared, I finally noticed his hair... And promptly burst out laughing. His hair was not just a pale silver close to its normal shade, but a bright, glimmery silver that you see on coins and statues and expensive jewelry.
"Oh... my... God... That is really silver!"

"Thanks, Riley, I hadn't noticed that before," he snapped sarcastically.

"And it's glittery! Oh man, I remember that spell! We came up with it when I was a first year. I had totally forgotten about it until now!"

"You helped them create it?"

"Well... Yeah. Hang on, let me see if I remember the cure." After a few minutes of turning his hair freakish colors, I finally got it back to its normal color. "There, perfect again."

"I can't believe they did this to me. Filthy blood traitors," he muttered. I coughed pointedly, and he stopped his dark thoughts about them.

"So now that your hair crisis is over, what shall we do?"

We ended up laying down, facing the glass ceiling, and pointed out constellations. When we ran out of those, we pointed out shapes in the stars and clouds not part of the scientific constellations.
I pointed excitedly at a falling star and closed my eyes to make a wish. When I opened them again, Draco was leaning over me, his face mere inches from mine. I smiled softly, and he closed the distance with a tender kiss.