The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter Two: Confusing Conversation

Three days after the champions were named, the hubbub over Harry being named the fourth champion still hadn't died down. I doubted it would until the entire tournament was over and done with. Personally, I couldn't care less about what Harry Potter wanted to do in his spare time. I mean, it's not like I hated him or anything, we got along fine, I just didn't obsess over him the way the rest of the world did. To me, he was just another student in Gryffindor, trying to make his way through school in one piece. But to Draco, he was a pompous, arrogant prick who always had to have the spotlight. I know this because he told me so on one of the rare occasions when we talked.

"That tosser really can't stand being shoved onto the back burner, can he?"

I had been reading, and therefore had had no idea that Draco was standing in front of me. "Hello, Draco. Who are you whining about now?"

"Harry Potter! If he thinks people are going to stop paying as much attention to him, he has to go and do something stupid like this." Draco's eyes were cold and narrowed, like a dragon's.

"Honestly, Draco, I think you're just mad because you couldn't find a way to put your name in the Goblet. Am I right?" Shooting me a glare, Draco scowled at me but didn't deny my accusation.

"That's not the point," he snapped, making me smirk because I was right. "The point is that Potter is so desperate for attention, he doesn't even care about rules and laws!"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "And you do? You, who got detention your first year here for spying. You, who tried to frighten Hermione in our second year by telling her she would be the next to be attacked. You, who delightfully tried to have a hippogriff executed last year. You follow rules and laws?"

"Why am I trying to tell you any of this? You don't listen anyways."

"I'm listening now aren't I? Although it's a bit hard because when you're angry your accent gets really thick so I have to slow down your words in my head and replay them so I can make sense of them." He opened his mouth to snap something at me, but then he noticed that I was smiling.
"Easy, Draco. It was a joke. Come on, admit it was funny." He gave me another glare, but this one was less harsh, and I noticed the corner of his lips twitch.

"Wait! Ladies and gentlemen, was that the beginning of a smile? I think it was! Well, myth debunked, he can smile after all!"

Draco rolled his eyes, but a small smile was present on his face. "Right, so you hate Potter because he always wants attention and whatever, right?"

He nodded sharply. "Exactly. He just can't seem to move himself from the spotlight, always sucking up to the other teachers when they're looking, but going off and breaking the rules when they turn their backs." He sneered. "It's so like Potter to do something like this."

I decided not to tell him that Harry had looked so surprised when his name had been called that I kind of doubted he had done it. I had a feeling if I said that, Draco would chomp my head off.

"Hang on, I have a question," I suddenly said. "Where's Pansy? This is the first time I've seen you separated from her in a long time. I figured you'd be ranting to her about this."

He gave me a long look, his expression unreadable, before finally answering. "I just... Didn't feel like talking to her. And I decided you were my next best bet." He didn't say anything else, but from the way he was looking at me, I could tell there was more to it than that. I desperately wanted to know what, and yet part of me was afraid to know.

"I'm going to bed," he finally said, walking away without another word. Before he shut the door to the boy's dorm, he gave me one last, long look that made my heart stutter. I went up to bed, mulling over what those looks could mean.