The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter Twenty-six: Coming Home

Sitting on the train, heading back to the Station, I stayed silent the entire ride. I was sitting with Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, mostly because Ginny had asked me to. There was a heavy sort of silence in the air, one that only comes with death. I knew it far too well.

"Have you heard from Snuffles lately?" I asked Harry softly, unable to bear the oppressive weight of the silence any longer.

"No," he answered, his voice barely audible. "Have you?"

"I saw him a few weeks ago, but not since then. It's lonely without him."

"Yeah, it is. More lonely than most people could imagine." I nodded my agreement, fidgeting with the black band around my middle finger. I'd put it on the day after Cedric died, in honor of him.
"Listen Harry, I know you don't really like me all that much because I'm a Slytherin and I dated Draco and all, but I do live pretty close to you, so if you need a place to crash for awhile this summer, my place is open. I know you'll be spending most of the summer at Ron's house, but if you need somewhere to go before then, just send an owl."

"Thanks," he said, looking a bit surprised. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Actually, that reminds me," Ginny said. "I was wondering if you'd like to spend part of the summer with me. Hermione will be there too so it can be us three, hanging out all summer."

"I'd have to ask my mom, but yeah, that sounds great."

"You'll be staying with us this summer?" a voice asked.

"Wicked," a second voice added.

I turned to see Fred and George in the doorway, pretend-winking at me. I laughed softly, glad some of the weight from Cedric's death had lifted from all of us.

"That's right, boys. But don't get any ideas. Keep in mind I know all your tricks, plus some more, plus I can land a good punch." We beamed at each other before the two moved on.

"Do you just get along with everyone?" Ron asked me. "You're a Slytherin with Gryffindor friends, you dated Draco, you're best friends with people he hates, I mean none of it makes sense."

"I just don't follow the criteria that says you have to hate certain people depending on what your house is. It's just plain bull crap. But no, I don't get along with everyone. I have a feeling if Voldy-butt and I ran into each other, a conflict would ensue."

"Voldy-what??" Ron and Harry asked at the same time.

"Voldy-butt. I don't like him, so I nicknamed him that." I answered with a serious expression.

They both burst into laughter, and Hermione and Ginny both gave softer, much more dignified laughs. "That has got to be the greatest nickname ever," Ron said. I grinned and nodded.

"I thought so too," I agreed.

Before long, we were at King's Cross Station, slowly filing off the train like cows being herded from field to field. When I saw my mom, I grinned at her and ran over, leaving some seventh year boys I'd just met to grab my luggage and haul it over.

"Thanks, boys! I'll be sending you owls this summer," I said with a wink and a flirty smile. I wouldn't, though. They could deal without my letters. "Mom! I haven't seen you in so long. How was your whole year? How's work? How's my baby boy??"

My mom laughed and shook her head. "Slow down, Riley! One thing at a time. Where did those boys come from?"

"Oh, I just met them. They're seventh years, so I'll never have to see them again, don't worry."

"Okay..." she said slowly before just letting it go. "Well, my year was fairly boring but not all together too bad. I enjoyed receiving your letters when I did. Work is good, as always. Your little boy is great, but he misses you tons. I swear he's been crying your name at night."

"Aw really? I can't wait to see him!" I said eagerly.

"Well, he's eagerly waiting for you at home. Now come on, let's get going. We can catch up on the way." We linked our arms, smiling and chatting, more like sisters or best friends than anything. As we walked, I noticed a tiny green bunny running up to me. It scurried up my pants leg and onto my shoulder, whispering in my ear.

"Mr. Malfoy wishes you farewell and hopes you have a wonderful summer. He also asks that you keep in contact with him this summer by sending him owls."

I quickly and softly responded, trying not to draw any attention to him. "Tell him I hope he has a wonderful summer too, and that I would love to keep in contact with him this summer." The small rabbit scurried away, leaving me to talk to my mom as we drove home. That's right, drove. I know not all witches and wizards can drive, but my mom can since she's a Muggle, and she's teaching me how. Never hurts to know.

"Hang on, what are those?" She pointed to the cage sitting next to Mor's, which held my three cats.

"Um well... They appear to be cats," I said somewhat evasively.

"I know what they are. Where did they come from?"

"Well, I rescued the mother because she was frozen and starving and pregnant and in the snow. And then she had the two babies. Aren't they so cute?" I smiled hopefully.

"I send you to school with one owl, you come home with three cats. Figures. Alright, I just hope Acerbus likes them too," she said with a sigh, shaking her head.

"He will! I know he will. He's my baby. How could he not?" She didn't look convinced, but she didn't say anything else about it.

When we got home, the first thing I did was run inside to see my baby. When he saw me, he ran full tilt towards me, jumping on me and knocking me down. He immediately began licking my face, his weight keeping me pinned to the ground. I laughed and pushed his face away from my mine.

"Acer-boy! Oh I missed you!! Next year, I'm taking you with me to Hogwarts so we won't be separated again!!" My mom laughed from behind me, watching me try to get out from under my huge dog. "Thanks for the help, mom," I said sarcastically, still laughing.

"Sorry, my arms are full with your luggage," she said, shifting the bundle in her arms.

"Fine. Meanie." Finally, I managed to push him off, getting up and brushing off my pants. "Well, that was fun. Now, I have to get the rest of my luggage."

"Miss Carson, I've got it." I yelped and spun around, clutching my chest. Behind me stood a girl of about sixteen or seventeen, with dark brown hair pulled up into a bun. She had warm blue eyes and was very pretty.

"Oh man, you nearly gave me a heart attack. Who the hell are you?" I asked, catching my breath.

"I am the maid your mother hired to help keep the house clean and in good condition," she answered.

"Oh. Do you have a name?"

"It's Jaime."

"Well hi, Jaime. Pleased to meet you. Are you sure you don't want help with the luggage?"

"I'm sure," she said with a smile. "But thank you for the offer. Um..." She paused, looking at the huge black mass of fur I knew as Acer. I smiled, knowing where she was going.

"He's a Borzoi. A little rare to find a black. Lots of times, they're white. Borzois are Russian Wolfhounds. And he's a big ball of love and fur." I affectionately scratched behind his ears.

"He's very pretty," she said. Then she walked outside and started grabbing bags from the car.

I grabbed my cat cage and carried it inside, setting it down in front of Acer. "What do you think? New friends?" He sniffed the cage for a moment before turning his back on them, apparently bored with them. Well, it was better than him trying to eat them.

I opened the latch and let them out, and immediately, they began running around, exploring everything. Acer completely ignored them.

"Miss Carson!" an excited voice squeaked next to my shoulder.

I smiled at Minny, our House Elf. "Hey, Minny. How have you been?"

She still looked startled every time I was nice to her, but she always recovered with a cheerful smile. I was never mean to her, but I guess it's just in a House Elf's nature to expect cruelty from witches and wizards.

"Minny has been good, miss. But I've missed you." Her huge tennis ball eyes were gazing up at me with such joy that I couldn't help but give her a tiny hug.

"Oh, I missed you too, Minny." She squeaked in surprise, then hesitantly hugged me back.

"Minny made sweets for your home-coming," she said, causing me to grin.

"Minny, you take such good care of me."

Oddly, Minny isn't actually our House Elf. We freed her when I was about twelve. She just stuck around and acts like our House Elf. It's nice, because I really enjoy having her around. She's like part of the family.

When Jaime was done bringing in the luggage, I told her she had to sit with me and have some sweets. So we sat in the kitchen, eating Minny's sweets and talking, and I discovered that I really liked Jaime. I could already tell that this would be a good summer, and a nice break form the stressful drama that happened at school.
♠ ♠ ♠
Acerbus= Latin word for Dark