The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter Three: Stupid Boys

The first tournament had come and gone with much excitement, annoyance, and fighting. Harry and Draco, Draco and Professor Moody, Harry and Ron, everyone seemed to be arguing. But as the tensions built between most other people, for some reason Draco and I seemed to be getting closer together. Pansy would give me more and more dark looks in the mornings when we'd be getting ready, looking as if she'd like to kill me with her mascara brush. But with each dark looks she shot at me, I knew it was because Draco would be waiting for me out in the common room, where we would then proceed to breakfast together, talking about whatever came to our minds. Despite feeling a little sorry for Pansy, it also made me happy. At this point, it was useless to ignore the feelings I had for Draco. Darn them.

Today, when I met Draco, there was a smirk on his face, one that managed to pique my curiosity, annoy me that he could be so smug all the time, and also make my heart flutter. Stupid, stupid feelings for him were going to drive me insane.

"Draco, you're looking particularly smug this morning. Did you manage to get Harry expelled somehow?"

"No, although I wish I had. Filthy blood-traitor. Worthless piece of sh-"

"Draco! Was there any particular reason you looked so smug and happy?" I cut him off from his ranting, knowing he could go on for ages, and I wasn't in the mood to deal with his dark mutterings. I was in the mood for something happier.

He blinked, slightly startled, then nodded. "Yeah. You remember yesterday they announced the Yule Ball? Well, at first I thought it was a droll idea, but then I started thinking about it, and I realized how it could become much more enjoyable."

"You're not spiking the punch bowl, are you? Because no matter how funny it would be to see everyone get drunk and a little naked, I don't think that's a good idea. Harry naked is not a sight I want to see." We were walking down the hallway to the Great Hall by now, and were close to reaching its doors.

"No, it's nothing like that," he said, a smile playing around his lips. "I was just thinking that--"

"Riley! Could I ask you sumfing?" I turned to see Alexander, smiling at me and looking a little anxious. Through out the weeks, we had continued to speak to each other, becoming friends, and I often enjoyed his company.

"Sure," I responded with a smile. I glanced back at Draco to placate him from the interruption, but he had already walked away, looking rather annoyed. Oh well, I could calm him down later.

"There is that ball going on soon, yes? And well I don't really know anyone else here, and I enjoy your company, and I was wondering if.... If you would go with me?"

I smiled, partially because I loved his thick accent, and partially because I was excited about having gotten invited to the ball. But I thought of Draco, and I felt my excitement waver. "Um, Alexander, that sounds really nice, but I'll have to think about it and get back to you on it, okay? I promise I'll give you an answer before too much time has passed."

He looked slightly crestfallen, but I suppose my lack of a 'no' had him still hoping for the best, because he was still smiling at me.

I walked back over to Draco, sitting down beside him at the Slytherin table. He cast me a sideways glance, still looking like a cat that had been sprayed with cold water.

"And what did Alexander have to say? Hoping you'll teach him where the best bugs to eat around here are? You know, I heard that's what they eat over there; bugs." I was startled by his harsh tone. He had always seemed to be pleased that the Durmstrang school sat at our table, but now he was scowling at them.

"No, he actually asked me to the ball. And I really think I might say yes to him." I was giving him an icy look, wondering why he was suddenly such a jerk. I know his reputation is the devil-may-care, troubled bad boy, but I also knew a lot of that was just a facade. It was just his tough outer shell that he wore like armor. But deep, deep ,deep down inside, he was really kind of sweet. Sometimes.

"Wait, you haven't said yes to him yet? You just gave him a maybe?" His voice was suddenly much lighter, as was his expression.

"No, I just gave him a maybe. Why?"

"No reason," he responded, and then promptly got up and left, leaving me to wonder about all of this. Stupid, stupid emotions getting all tangled up and confused about the two boys! Stupid, stupid heart, not knowing which one it wanted! Stupid, stupid boys for confusing me! Stupid, stupid boys!
♠ ♠ ♠
So um yeah, I got really bored with it and decided to skip ahead a few weeks. If there's any confusion, just write me in some way. Comment, message me, stalk me and speak to me in my sleep to see if I respond... Hope you enjoy the stories!!